Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Favorite DROD hold
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eatmorepies
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon Favorite DROD hold (+1)  
What is your favorite DROD hold? Feel free to post a link to your favorite hold here:

reddit.com/r/deadlyroomsofdeath/comments/60s2q0/your_holds/

[Last edited by eatmorepies at 04-23-2017 08:11 PM]
04-23-2017 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
icon Re: Favorite DROD hold (+1)  
I'll post here, thank you very much.

In no particular order, I'm a big fan of:
• TSS
• TCB (I'm a sucker for "passive" puzzles)
• Flood Warning (shallow water is *brilliant*)
• Mini Mimicry (my favorite five-brain hold so far)
• Imperial Wandering
• Complex Complex (I will never solve one of these rooms myself -- and I respect that)

Holds I think are a bit overrated are:
• Gigantic Jewel Lost (inb4 i get flamed to death)
• Beethro's Teacher (Complex Complex is harder and more interesting/polished)
• Master Locks (easily the worst SMS every published)

04-23-2017 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about how much to get involved with the fresh subreddit, what the best way is to go about encouraging community involvement, etc.

What I will do, instead, is just post a similar list.

Big fan:
* Think Outside the Box by larrymurk
* The Oversight by masonjason (some tedious rooms, but overall good mix of skills tested and manipulation tricks)
* Beethro's Mission: Spiders by Dali (solid "monster-by-monster introduction" style hold with some unusual puzzle elements and a small story)
* The Domain of the Grinfidel by Jacob (Starts with a neat room-entrance maze, moves on to tricks and traps)
* Curiosity by kieranmillar (A more modern take on element-theme levels, resources must be exploited to the hilt and all angles must be considered)

Overrated:

* Hold by blorx (This was a fun hold with some good required rooms included in it, but some of the rooms require some really weird and unintuitive behavior to solve them, and the rooms with a lot of briar lend themselves to tedium)
* Yggdrasil Hollow by PygmyWubba (Again, relatively fun, but it lacks polish as far as room entrance and layout are concerned, and some rooms are far more difficult/exacting than others, even in the same level.)

Uh, that's all I've got right now. Maybe I should write up more reviews in the Holds forum sometimes. Well, I guess I'm doing alright as-is.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-23-2017 10:41 PM]
04-23-2017 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I ain't do redit, but I'll gladly share some of my favorites here on the forum.

* Almost anything by boyblue, who is possibly my all time favorite architect. Random Obsessive is probably my all time favorite hold. Blue Rooms is another really good one. Lots of super interesting linchpin puzzles showcasing interactions that you'd never think were possible. Great stuff.

* MetDROiD Echos by Geomatrix. I know this one is fairly well known, but this was always one of my favorites back in the day. The puzzles are only so-so, but the story telling and level sets are great. This feels like an almost entirely different game from DROD while at the same time somehow also maintaining the sense of immersion in the story that the official holds do.

* For a more modern classic, I'd have to say A Day at the Beach by blorx1. With this one blorx actually made an approachable hold that still maintains its blorxyness and has an amazing bit of mini-map art.

I don't think I want to call anything over rated. There are definitely some holds that tend to get praised a lot that I don't find all that special, but I guess these things really are rather subjective.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 04-24-2017 08:36 AM]
04-24-2017 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Favorite DROD hold (0)  
I think Compass Point might be my favorite DROD hold.

Click here to view the secret text

04-25-2017 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Favorite DROD hold (0)  
Pearls wrote:
I think Compass Point might be my favorite DROD hold.

The Fool's Errand?
04-25-2017 at 12:37 AM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
Nah. Fool's errand has a neat trick, but it was a trick that didn't play nice with later versions of DROD, meaning the information it was hiding depended on it staying hidden. Compass point just subverts you in a more logical way or something. I dunno.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pearls at 04-25-2017 12:44 AM]
04-25-2017 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 116
I'll do something unique and share my favorite official holds. Note that I love them all in some way; this is just my personal ranking if I had to choose.

From the ones I love the most to the ones that have the most low-key love:

Gunthro and the Epic Blunder: This was my first true DROD experience, and I LOVED it. I was a lot more inept that I expected in hindsight, but that's just part of starting out in DROD. I also really loved the character of Gunthro; I wish we had some SMS's with him, he seems like easily THE most neglected and underrated protagonist we've seen so far. Erik, Mike, seriously, if you listen to any of my ramblings, make it be me asking for more of Gunthro.
The Second Sky: Bar none, THE definitive DROD. Basically redefined everything possible with the DROD engine, and then some, and showed how amazing DROD can be. One day, I wish I can make a TSS-grade hold...
The City Beneath: This one was a toughie, but really fleshed out the story, and started the concept of being open-ended. I also love the Infohut guy. By far the best minor character in DROD history. Nope, not biased whatsoever.
King Dugan's Dungeon: This is a good hold to just play and relax with. It's not as intense as other holds, especially TCB and TSS, but I love this, and the music in DROD:AE... Dear god, it's amazing. I especially love the music for the Slime, Cliffs, and Ice styles from the DROD:AE version of the game.
Journey to Rooted Hold: While I don't exactly like this hold as much as the others, I can't help but respect it. I don't hate it, god no; this is really good. But nowadays it gets overshadowed by other holds, even discarding TSS. But the best part, though... That. Title. Screen. Music.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery

[Last edited by Camwoodstock at 04-27-2017 05:57 PM]
04-27-2017 at 05:55 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Favorite DROD hold
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No