Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What Version do I buy if I want to play all the games chronologically?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Baine53
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon What Version do I buy if I want to play all the games chronologically? (0)  
Hi! I'm a newcomer here, got hooked on Flash DROD, and now I want to buy the games! Is there a way for me to buy the other games if I get The Second Sky, or do I have to buy each version separately?
03-26-2017 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: What Version do I buy if I want to play all the games chronologically? (0)  
If you buy The Second Sky and other games via Caravel, they get associated with your user account. You can then use the free month of CaravelNet to download King Dugan's Dungeon, Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath and Gunthro and the Epic Blunder into your copy of TSS. In addition to having everything in one game version, KDD, JtRH, TCB and GaTEB will all have in-game challenges and other improvements if played via in TSS.

Flash DROD is based on King Dugan's Dungeon.

Once you have the games, the story order is:

Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, the prequel
King Dugan's Dungeon, the first DROD hold ever
Journey to Rooted Hold, the start of the main Beethro story
The City Beneath, the middle of the main story
The Second Sky, the epic conclusion of the DROD saga.

There's also a bunch of extra DLC type content called Smitemaster's Selections, which fit into various places.

03-26-2017 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Baine53
icon Re: What Version do I buy if I want to play all the games chronologically? (0)  
Thanks!
Do I have to buy all the games from Caravel, or just The Second Sky, and buy the other ones elsewhere?
03-26-2017 at 03:20 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
If you want to have all the games collected under a Caravel Account, you'll need to buy them via Caravel. However, once you've done that, you can get Steam keys for the five games. Things work slightly differently on Steam, where KDD, JtRH and TCB are all counted as DLC for Gunthro.

03-26-2017 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
Also, if you play via steam (like me), note that the TSS improvements are automatically added to the past holds, and that there's no real difference between the GatEB release and TSS release on steam aside from the hold you have, and access to the trilogy DLC.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
03-27-2017 at 08:01 PM
Baine53
Cool! I just got GatEB + the first three for $20 on Steam! Thanks! I'll probably buy TSS from Caravel to get the membership.

[Last edited by Baine53 at 03-27-2017 08:19 PM]
03-27-2017 at 08:19 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: What Version do I buy if I want to play all the games chronologically? (+1)  
I have a timeline that includes Smitemaster Selections. The ones with a confirmed order are:

Gunthro and The Epic Blunder
Smitemastery 101
King Dugan's Dungeon
Flood Warning
Complex Complex
Journey to Rooted Hold
Perfection
Beethro's Teacher
Master Locks/Master Locks Expert (Same plot points, different difficulties of similar puzzles)
The City Beneath
Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons Of Doom
Suit Pursuit
Finding The First Truth
The Second Sky

Halph Has a Bad day could go anywhere between Smitemastery 101 and Journey to Rooted Hold. Might work best before King Dugan's Dungeon, if you want to believe this is what got Halph into delving in the first place.

Beethro and the Secret Society is weird, since Beethro mentions some events of Perfection, but the story wouldn't work unless it was before Journey to Rooted Hold. Then again, some disembodied voice tells him it's not real, so that could be Beethro reliving some past events in a dream sequence. (Think Tim Burton's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, "It wasn't a nightmare, it was a memory.") The "real" version of those events probably happened between King Dugan's Dungeon and Flood Warning.

The only hints about when The Choice might take place are the fact that Beethro can see the sun when he leaves, and that he can get to a tavern afterwards. It could either be anywhere between Smitemastery 101 and Journey to Rooted Hold, or after The Second Sky.

03-28-2017 at 05:48 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Personally, I'd recommend skipping some of the Smitemaster Selections since they use elements before they are actually introduced in the main series.

Specifically, I'd skip:
Smitemastery 101
Flood Warning
Complex Complex

Also, Flood Warning and Complex Complex will be a massive difficulty spike and should probably be done when you have more experience.

Some of the later Smitemaster Selections have story, and none of them "spoil" elements as best I recall, so those are worth playing between the respective main entries.

I'm also aware that Gunthro could be seen as spoiling a few elements, but I didn't find it nearly as jarring as Smitemastery 101 in that respect, and Gunthro really is a great place to start playing from.

I'm not sure where "Halph Has a Bad Day" and "Beethro and the Secret Society" fit in with regards to elements, since I haven't played either of those.

03-28-2017 at 04:35 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
It is a happy thing that Gunthro(ateb) is at the beginning both chronologically and difficulty-wise.

-Erik

03-29-2017 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What Version do I buy if I want to play all the games chronologically?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com