Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Architecture Streams
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
IP: Logged
icon Architecture Streams (+3)  
It seems to be all the rage these days, so I too have decided to try my hand at streaming :) Depending on how well this goes, I may end up doing shorter streams more regularly, but to begin with, I'm going to do a one-off long stream, with the aim of making a hold in one sitting. Nothing too elaborate; but I do want to try to make a complete hold for a few reasons:

* I want to train myself to architect a bit faster, since lack of speed is one of my biggest problems. Hopefully this will also provide inspiration to other people who would like to give architecture a try but are finding it difficult to get started.
* I'm in the middle of working on two large-scale projects (Bubble Wrap, and the collaborative Entry Point), and I'd like to do something smaller to have a break, and so that I can get something actually finished.

I find it easiest to work when I restrict myself to particular themes, so what I've decided to do is list some elements that came up in the "What is your favourite element?" discussion, and each time I start a level, I'll roll a die to decide the level theme. I've selected two elements for each number; the second will be chosen if the same number comes up twice.

1 - Serpents; aumtlich
2 - Time tokens; weapon tokens
3 - Explosives; speed potions; gentryii; constructs
4 - Pressure plates; brains
5 - Tarstuff; briar
6 - Shallow water; trapdoors; mimics

I'll aim for starting a new level each hour, but that might be too optimistic. We'll see how it works out. I'll be going for "easy, but non-trivial puzzles" in the vein of Foursquare or Beethro and the Cake. I won't try to make the final versions of rooms during the stream; I'll just try to make as many rooms as I can, and go through the usual prettifying / testing / feedback process afterwards.

This will be starting on Local Time:02-26-2017 at 05:00 PM. Hope to get a good number of people in chat :)

[Last edited by Nuntar at 02-26-2017 08:32 PM]
02-21-2017 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Architecture Streams (0)  
Sounds like fun.
02-22-2017 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
Where can we watch you?

02-23-2017 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
The stream has finished now, and can be watched here:

Part 1 (Shallow water)
Part 2 (Explosives)
Part 3 (Speed potions)

In all, I made 13 rooms, though none of them are final versions; they will all need polishing up even before I have a draft I'm ready to submit to Architecture. Still, I'd like the hold to be a bit larger than that, so I think I'll repeat the stream in two weeks' time. For the follow-up stream, I'll use the same list of possible themes, but the three already used will be replaced with three that have been mentioned as favourite elements of some people who didn't contribute to the thread: mimics, gentryii and constructs.

02-26-2017 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
There won't be a stream today as I'm in hospital with a kidney stone. I'll reschedule it when I feel well again.

03-12-2017 at 04:08 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Architecture Streams (+1)  
Get well soon.

03-12-2017 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Architecture Streams
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com