Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Linux - certain demo fails to verify (Partially resolved (1 out of 2 issues))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon GatEB Linux - certain demo fails to verify (0)  
I installed GatEB from the Linux version available via the Downloads link on the site. I cannot create a valid demo for a certain room and if I try to view other players' demos, it says they were created by a newer version of DROD.

What actually happens is that I get the 1st place message after conquering the room and the result vanishes after the spider tries verifying it. As far as the game is concerned, I have solved the room.

The room in question is GatEB: Whittled River Valley, Thrice North Once West. So far, I've not had this happen in other rooms yet. Looking at how much better my invalid demo would have been than the previously optimized version, there clearly is something going on. Has the room been changed?

This is the exact installer file I downloaded from Caravel:
DROD_Gunthro_and_the_Epic_Blunder_Setup_4.0.4.114.run

I'll continue playing, because it's just one room and I don't care that much about optimization on my first playthrough. However, if I want to go back to optimize my scores one day, how can I use a version of the hold where the room works properly?

UPDATE: I updated to TSS and downloaded the latest version of the Gunthro hold into it. Thanks to Nuntar for telling me I can do this.

The issue mentioned below about the room display still stands. If If I look at the room in question via the forum, it shows the older room without force arrows to me. This of course does not prevent me from seeing and playing the newer room in the game.

Hence, I am updating the description to say one out of two issues in this thread is resolved.

[Last edited by Pekka at 02-21-2017 07:52 PM : The main issue was resolved]
02-20-2017 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: GatEB Linux - certain demo fails to verify (0)  
This is one of a few rooms (with Outer Walls 2S2W and three rooms of Spider Cave) that were drastically changed in the 5.0 update. The change in this room was the addition of force arrows on the trapdoors, making it a bit more of a puzzle rather than a trivial clean-up. Demos for the old version of the room won't be accepted any more.

I don't know about Linux specifically, but to get the updated version of the hold (since the update uses 5.0 features) you have to download it within TSS rather than the GatEB engine.

02-20-2017 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Thanks for the reply. There's one niggle. I'm not seeing any force arrows in the room display via this link:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/showroom.php?roomid=33975

Should I be seeing the force arrows in that room display? Do you see them?

It's quite fine with me if I return to this room via TSS later. I'm just curious about the lack of force arrows in the room display.
02-20-2017 at 09:05 PM
Pekka
Well, I installed TSS and downloaded GatEB in Change Location. Even though I transferred the player file, I could not transfer my progress, so I guess I'm replaying the beginning of the game. It's OK; now I am inclined to spend more time optimizing ;)

I'll see soon if I get the right version of the room this way. I except I will, because it now has challenges, and that should mean it's the newer version of the hold.

EDIT: I reached the updated room and had my demo for it verified. I'm OK now.

[Last edited by Pekka at 02-21-2017 07:37 PM : confirm I had the right version]
02-21-2017 at 02:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Linux - certain demo fails to verify (Partially resolved (1 out of 2 issues))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com