Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fast Travel via Minimap (This feels like something that's been suggested before, but I think we could use it)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
IP: Logged
icon Fast Travel via Minimap (0)  
Instead of only being able to see another room you have visited via clicking on the minimap, you can now right click on an entrance while looking at it (assuming that you have cleared the adjoining room) and get there instantly without having to manually walk all over the place. I feel like this would be a nice feature for big empty areas like in GatEB and also for holds that have lots of switch puzzles that are tedious to do multiple times when just going from place to place like in MetDROiD Echoes. I would suggest that the game be able to pick an entrance for you that makes sense based on where you were travelling from, but that's probably too much to ask and a headache to program reliably; it should be relatively much easier to check that the player has cleared or visited the room on the other side of an entrance they pick.
01-05-2017 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
icon Re: Fast Travel via Minimap (+1)  
The problem with this is that it could very easily break things. There might be sections in holds that are designed not to be backtrackable, with puzzles or scripting depending on it. Or paths going through rooms you have already cleared, but which is only accessible later on...

For this idea to be guaranteed not to break anything, the program would have to make sure that there exists a valid path from your location to the entrance you want to move to, and that there aren't any consequences from taking it (like activating a seeding beacon). In a complicated level this would require huge amounts of brute force and/or some very advanced artificial intelligence.
01-05-2017 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Fast Travel via Minimap (0)  
We have four rooms in a row.

(Room1) -> (Room2) -> (Room3) -> (Room4)

You start in room 1, and clear to room 4.

But Room 2 is vertically cut in half by a reverse blue gate or green gate. How does the engine account for that?

Or, room 2 is built to be one-way, via pressure plates that close doors behind you. Does it then need to try to autosolve each room on the way back?

[Last edited by Banjooie at 01-22-2017 11:09 PM]
01-22-2017 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
icon Re: Fast Travel via Minimap (0)  
Sorry for necro-bumping, but how to make fast travel like DROD: RPG

05-26-2017 at 01:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fast Travel via Minimap (This feels like something that's been suggested before, but I think we could use it)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com