Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Tower of the Sorcerer (In DROD:RPG form)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
nand
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
IP: Logged

File: Tower of the Sorcerer.drh (11.7 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
License: Creative Commons

icon Tower of the Sorcerer (+5)  
Hey,

After watching Malefact's Let's Play of TotS, I felt inspired to remake the game within the DROD:RPG engine, which doesn't seem to have been done yet. (But I may simply have missed it while searching)

Currently only the first area (floors 1-10) are complete. Some notes:

1. I want to go for maximum accuracy, so that the optimal strategies for ToTS will carry over to this version. This includes recreating sequence breaks and bugs where required.

2. Since the potion ratio is different in ToTS than in DROD:RPG, I can't use potions as is. My work-around involves a script that adjusts the amount of HP you gain when stepping on a potion, but the unfortunate downside of doing this is that the tooltip values for potions are simply inaccurate. I added a small note to explain this, hopefully it won't throw off players too much.

3. I'm picking monster appearances to try and match the original game (green slimes = gel babies, etc.), rather than trying to follow the difficulty curve as presented by DROD:RPG. I'm undecided about this however, mostly because I'm running out of ways to represent custom characters.

4. Since my only source of game dialogue etc. is from a low-resolution youtube video with garbled text boxes, some may be inaccurate or even missing altogether.

5. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in the english translation are preserved on purpose.

6. Some cosmetic/utility items really don't make sense in the DROD context, and for the rest I'll need to add an inventory system eventually.

7. If I ever complete the entire tower, I might add voice acting in the style of Malefact's LP, simply because I enjoyed it.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

12-04-2016 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Tower of the Sorcerer (+1)  
You did miss it.

Here's the thread.

Not sure how different it is from what you did, I haven't tried it (or the original game).
12-04-2016 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
nand
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
icon Re: Tower of the Sorcerer (0)  
Oh, thanks! That version looks much, much more polished than what I was doing.

Either way, making this mini-TotS was a learning experience.

12-04-2016 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Tower of the Sorcerer (In DROD:RPG form)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com