Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : ATOTK - Full screen/graphics issue (The game refuses to work in full screen)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lyrielle
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged

File: Error.JPG (27.7 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
icon ATOTK - Full screen/graphics issue (0)  
Hi All,

I've recently played and thoroughly enjoyed Heroine's quest from Steam and so thought I would try out ATOTK also.

I run windows 10, and so far the game will only open if run in a tiny window. I had the same issue with HQ, but steam offers a 'run in full screen' option which bypasses the issue.

No such luck here. I've tried all the available options and graphic resolutions in the setup box and they all invariably crash for any full screen choice. I always get a version of this error:

(Error screenshot attached).

Is anyone able to help? I'd really like to play the game. :(

Thanks and much appreciated!
11-21-2016 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: ATOTK - Full screen/graphics issue (0)  
Well, we're planning to do a re-release of this game (on Steam, no less) but that may take awhile.

If you use winsetup to set the graphics filter to "3x nearest-neighbour filter" and play in windowed mode, you should at least get a large window. As the error message indicates, your monitor (like many newer monitors) doesn't support 16-bit graphics in full-screen mode.

11-22-2016 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lyrielle
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: ATOTK - Full screen/graphics issue (0)  
My thanks for this, it looks like it did work to make a larger window that's at least playable instead of that tiny one. I'll keep a lookout for the steam re-release too.

Interestingly I had the same issue for King's Quest 8 when I bought the KQ pack on GOG (all the others worked except that one) which was fixed when I chose 3DFX instead of DirectDraw graphics.

As you say, it's likely due to this being a newer monitor.

Much appreciated. :)

[Last edited by Lyrielle at 11-22-2016 10:07 AM]
11-22-2016 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : ATOTK - Full screen/graphics issue (The game refuses to work in full screen)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com