Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon Blind Race #3 (+7)  
We're doing this again :D

For those who don't know: the "Blind Race" contest involves the creation of a short hold, which is kept secret from racers and then revealed at the start of the race. Racers then try to complete it as fast as possible, while streaming their efforts, which are combined into a commentary stream. After the race, the hold gets any further polishing needed, possibly including fixing USs that were found during the race, and gets submitted to Holds.

Anyone who wants to taking part, please sign up here so that we know you're interested -- the race can only go ahead if we have enough people! We need architects, testers, and racers.

The plan is for the race to take place during the Christmas holiday, some time after December 16, which is when Jeff (one half of our esteemed commentary team) finishes his exams.

Architects -- Building is taking place in a private beta board, so you need to have CNet and have "available for beta testing" switched on. Each architect should build one level, which should be a maximum of 6 brains in difficulty, completable in roughly half an hour, and should not depend on knowledge of obscure mechanics.

Testers -- same deal, I need to be able to invite you to the beta board.

Racers -- you need to be able to stream. I don't know what that requires from a technical point of view; you're best off asking one of our experts, such as Jeff, if you need help. Racers should post what dates and times (during the Christmas period) they will be available, so that we can try to choose a time that suits everyone.

11-03-2016 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (0)  
I'll be an architect! Feel free to invite me!
11-03-2016 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
As I said in chat, I'm up for doing some architecture.
11-03-2016 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Glad to see this is becoming a regular thing. I've really enjoyed watching the first two.

If it is on a Friday or Saturday (Europe or American time) I can race. Otherwise, I will be a tester. I live in Korea and don't have a Christmas break, so my availability for racing is limited, but I'm happy to stay up late if I don't work the next day.

I am getting in to architecture, but I suspect you will have enough more experienced people for that. If you end up short for some reason, I'm able to provide some rooms along with testing other people's.

11-03-2016 at 04:19 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Can be a tester if you need another.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-03-2016 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+11)  
I guess I'll be a tester since I was a racer last time.

If you want to try out streaming, you need to grab a streaming software, and choose a streaming site. Note that you can do this step any time you want, and they'll work any time in the future (unless, of course, your internet is down at that time or something). Therefore I strongly suggest any racers trying it as soon as you can so you don't have to deal with this in the last minute, which is known to be nasty because streaming can be an arcane process and various weird problems can come up!

For streaming software OBS Studio is a good choice, though of course there are alternatives if OBS doesn't like you for some reasons. Twitch has listed a bunch of them.

For streaming site typically Twitch is used for gaming streams, but Jeff and ThemsAllTook uses Youtube instead. Youtube automatically creates archives (think of it as your stream being uploaded and published as a Youtube video) if you've set up an event for it, so that's an advantage over Twitch.

Anyways, before you do anything, you need an account and your stream key so that people can watch your stream, and that you can actually stream.
If you're going for Twitch, just open an account, then go to the Dashboard and look for Stream Key section to view your stream key there. Your stream key is supposed to be private only so don't show it to anyone, ever!

If you use Youtube for streaming, follow the following steps instead:

I think Youtube saves your videos even if you're doing it on the fly instead of pre-setting a scheduled event, but if you're not sure, record your stream locally as well! Broadcasting software should allow you to record while streaming.

Now, when you set up your stream in OBS or something, choose Twitch as streaming service, choose your appropriate server that is fast to you and then put in your stream key there.
For Youtube you just choose Youtube/Youtube Gaming as service, choose either Primary or Backup Youtube ingest server, and put your Youtube stream key there.

You also need to set up streaming options. The most important setup here is bitrate: you need to set it so that it's high enough for anybody to recognize anything in your stream, but not so high your stream is too sizey for your internet connection to handle. In my case I use CBR 400(kb/s) but of course, your mileage may vary. This part naturally requires experimentation and therefore takes a bit of time.

If everything is set up (I've skipped the "set up your stream screen" part because it's part of the basic thing about streaming softwares), just press the "Start Streaming" button on your favourite streaming software, and in a brief moment you should be able to see your stream on your twitch/Youtube channel. That means you're good to go! And since you can stream whenever you want now, maybe you can also stream some DROD or other games in free time!

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 11-03-2016 06:52 PM]
11-03-2016 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Yay, another Blind Race :D

Thought about it a bit, and as fun as racing was, I would actually prefer to do some architecture this time, so if you need any more architects, feel free to invite me. I promise I'd even try to make some easier rooms than usually :P
11-03-2016 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+17)  
I guess I'll be home by this point, so I'm available either as a last minute tester or as a racer if it looks like we'll be short.

11-03-2016 at 09:39 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
I want to be a runner. I have some strategies to make the running easier. Also, I'm free just about any day during the Christmas break.

[Last edited by IQubic at 11-09-2016 12:35 AM]
11-09-2016 at 12:32 AM
uncopy2002
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+1)  
Bump.

Since December is coming, perhaps we should determine the race date/time and the confirmed runners?
11-29-2016 at 01:05 PM
mauvebutterfly
I should be good for racing.

I was playing around with twitch today, and I think I got the recording to work. There are some audio issues I want to tinker with, but it's more than good enough for what would be needed for a combined stream.

As it stands, video and voice commentary are fine. It's just game audio that I'd like to adjust. For some reason the game audio is much quieter during recording than during playing. I'll keep poking at it over the next few weeks.

11-29-2016 at 02:18 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
The only real drawback if people decide to use YouTube Gaming is that it will make keeping track of all the feeds much more complex, since I've been using MultiTwitch for the previous 2 race commentaries. I guess maybe we could find a workaround, but I imagine that being a bit tricky.

That, or maybe everyone could use YouTube Gaming instead and we could try to find a "MultiStream" widget for that :P

Oh, and I'll most likely be returning as the role of the trusty commentator, along with Crimson if he is available.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 11-30-2016 12:19 PM]
11-30-2016 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I'll be getting home on the 14th, so I'm happy to race at just about any time starting with the 15th.

12-01-2016 at 10:36 PM
mauvebutterfly
I'm free anytime on Saturdays, so I guess that would be roughly 1am to 5pm GMT. I'm flexible outside of that if necessary, but that would be the least impact on my schedule.

12-02-2016 at 02:09 PM
mauvebutterfly
Jeff, for your combined stream, I noticed that twitch has a built-in delay. Do people have any way of getting around that? Will we all look like we are starting at the same time?

Since I won't be communicating with anybody during the race anyway, a 20-second difference or whatever it ends up being won't really matter on my end. I was just curious if this causes any issues for the commentators, and if there was anything I should be trying to do about it.

Actually, now that I think about it, can we use caravel chat during the event, or will people be spoiling solutions there? I guess it's best just to turn it on after I'm done so that I can see how other people are doing. Or after 3 hours when I still haven't solved everything and want to see if I'm still racing with anybody. ;)

12-03-2016 at 10:59 AM
ThemsAllTook
Rank Points: 207
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+4)  
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Jeff, for your combined stream, I noticed that twitch has a built-in delay. Do people have any way of getting around that? Will we all look like we are starting at the same time?
Since you mentioned this, I'd like to bring up a problem that affected the last two races so that it can be addressed for this one: The hold needs to be posted a few minutes before the start time, so that racers have time to download, import, and wait at the Play New Game button to properly synchronize.

It's pretty awkward to be fumbling around with browsers and filesystems during a stream, especially under time pressure. File management shouldn't need to be part of the race. No one will be able to get a head start from the hold being posted early, since they're made accountable by streaming.

So, here's what I see as the ideal sequence of events:
1. All runners prepare and go live on Twitch, several minutes ahead of the start time.
2. Commentators (Jeff/Crimson) verify that all streams are live and viewable.
3. Hold is posted. All runners download and import it, then wait at the title screen for the start signal.
4. At the start time, an officiator in CaravelNet chat performs a countdown. When they say "GO", all runners click the Play New Game button and start racing.

How does that sound? Anything I've missed?
12-04-2016 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
Rank Points: 108
Sadly, Jeff will have to solo stream it this time I think (Or he could always have another speaker with him :P ), I have to go visit relatives around that time and I won't really ever be free again until after Christmas.
12-05-2016 at 07:12 PM
mauvebutterfly
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+13)  
Here is my twitch stream. Don't really use it for anything, but I did some testing and should be able to run the race using it.

https://www.twitch.tv/mauveplays

edit: Just posting a note here for myself so that I don't miss the time. That's 1am on Sunday local time.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 12-16-2016 11:28 AM]
12-16-2016 at 11:25 AM
uncopy2002
For everyone's convenience (since the date and time was posted separately and Nuntar hasn't compiled them yet) the race time is

17 December, 4pm GMT

which is, in local time,
Local Time:12-17-2016 at 04:00 PM

and
negative 382 weeks, 5 days
from now.
12-16-2016 at 12:08 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+21)  
I'll attempt to participate in the race; don't foresee any problems with that happening. Here's my twitch stream for later reference:

https://www.twitch.tv/leylicite

12-16-2016 at 05:23 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+9)  
I'll be racing. My twitch is https://www.twitch.tv/iqubic

[Last edited by IQubic at 12-16-2016 06:20 PM]
12-16-2016 at 06:19 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
A little late, but here's the link to the commentary stream. If nothing goes wrong and I get up at my intended time, I'll be doing pre-commentary at 10:30AM EST, or 3:30PM GMT. No peeking allowed from the runners after the starting time! ;P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaz1fFO0M7I

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-17-2016 at 07:17 AM
uncopy2002
Individual race stream footage:

blorx1: https://www.twitch.tv/blorx/v/108052644

mauvebutterfly: https://www.twitch.tv/mauveplays/v/108050686

IQubic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHtcJPWoCXw (volume alert)

Chaco: waiting for footage upload

Meanwhile someone else will announce the result.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 12-17-2016 06:48 PM]
12-17-2016 at 06:03 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
And... the results are in! :thumbsup

1st place: Chaco 48:40
2nd place: blorx1 53:15
3rd place: mauvebutterfly 2:26:50
4th place: IQubic DNF

Congratulations to all racers! :thumbsup

12-17-2016 at 06:29 PM
blorx1
Quick note: my time should be 53:13, the first time I finished that was my time, and when I restored back to view it showed 53:15. Not that it matters.

12-17-2016 at 06:49 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Blind Race #3 (+2)  
Here's my race footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pQTVt5788

Marvel at how I solve some rooms quickly, and get stuck on others. Be frustrated at how I accidentally muted myself for large portions of the race! Be amused at my ingenious methods of making rooms finish smoothly.

12-17-2016 at 08:56 PM
blorx1
https://youtu.be/YpMqwKIR0Bw

12-17-2016 at 09:39 PM
mauvebutterfly
My race footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYFEFxUN7k4&t

12-18-2016 at 06:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #3
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com