Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : She Remembered Caterpillars (A free demo available)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon She Remembered Caterpillars (+1)  
I heard about this game today. It looks interesting and there is a free demo on Steam, with the game set to be released later this year. It's described as a puzzle game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/470780

I'll post my take on the demo after playing it myself. I hope to have the time soon. If anyone else has tried it (or will do so now), please tell us what you think of it and the variety in puzzle design. For now, this is their blurb on Steam.

A fungipunk fantasy about love, loss, and holding on, told in the format of a color-based puzzle game. A tale as the bond between parent and child, this lush and bewildering title will have players testing their wits against a variety of challenges, all beautiful and very strange.
10-04-2016 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: She Remembered Caterpillars (0)  
Okay, that was quick. I tried the demo today, and it took me eleven minutes to complete it. There are about ten levels that teach a couple of basic mechanics, and it has four achievements. Also, about one minute was me trying to see if I can run the game in windowed mode or change the monitor it was on. (Didn't find the way.)

The game is about moving characters to goal spaces on hand drawn levels based on a hex grid. Certain features of the levels have color that causes them to behave differently depending on whether the character attempting to cross them has the same color or not.

You start with red and blue types, and later the demo introduces purple characters and then the ability to combine one red and one blue to a single purple one, and split it back to two characters. Purples work like both reds and blues in certain ways.

The story is told in short texts between levels. It didn't tie into the puzzles in any way in the demo.

It can turn out to be a good puzzle game if the puzzles get harder and there are more elements in the full game. If you don't mind it being short, you can try the demo yourself. I tried not spoiling the details of how the elements in the demo actually work :)

My verdict? I'll keep an eye on it. Whether it's worth getting depends on how much puzzle content is in the full game.
10-06-2016 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
xpym
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: She Remembered Caterpillars (0)  
Have played through this game recently. The "storytelling" feels tacked on, but the puzzles themselves are solid, with good difficulty progression. A couple evenings worth of mild brain exercise.
04-10-2017 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : She Remembered Caterpillars (A free demo available)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com