Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : In game indicator of completed challenge
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Danny564
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon In game indicator of completed challenge (+2)  
I'm particularly aiming for the steam release in this post.

I've found myself constantly wondering if I've already completed a challenge while walking into a cleared room in the GatEB steam release, only to go through the trouble of do it again to double check.
Yes, there is a ingame challenge list.
Yes, I can look through the steam achievements, but that's too much of a hassle..

How about changing the texture of a challenge note if you've already completed it? By changing it's color to i.e. green, or creating a "cracked" note texture.
Anything that would give you a quick indicator of a completed challenge would be a handy dandy thing.
09-27-2016 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: In game indicator of completed challenge (0)  
The problem with it is that challenges are stored globally like hold completion/mastery status, and there's pretty much no way to obtain this information via scripting. If you've done this challenge in the last run but not this, there's no way for the hold's scripting itself to know that.
09-27-2016 at 07:55 AM
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: In game indicator of completed challenge (+1)  
If you press F6, you can see your demo's.
If you completed a challenge, there will be a demo saying so.

09-27-2016 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1126
The hold doesn't need to know whether or not a challenge has already been completed, only the engine.

09-27-2016 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danny564
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
robin wrote:
If you press F6, you can see your demo's.
If you completed a challenge, there will be a demo saying so.
That's one solution actually!

uncopy2002 wrote:
The problem with it is that challenges are stored globally like hold completion/mastery status, and there's pretty much no way to obtain this information via scripting. If you've done this challenge in the last run but not this, there's no way for the hold's scripting itself to know that.
Well, since the game made it to steam, and all the in-game challenges are listed as achievements, I personally wouldn't qualify a challenge to be completed unless I got the achievement in steam. I assume it's possible to pull achievement data through the Steam API, so how about fetch the data on startup, then either store it in a save file, or temporary in memory?

[Last edited by Danny564 at 09-28-2016 12:34 AM]
09-28-2016 at 12:33 AM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
Danny564 wrote:
Well, since the game made it to steam, and all the in-game challenges are listed as achievements, I personally wouldn't qualify a challenge to be completed unless I got the achievement in steam. I assume it's possible to pull achievement data through the Steam API, so how about fetch the data on startup, then either store it in a save file, or temporary in memory?

We could do that, but then there would be a gameplay difference between the various version of DROD. That goes against the philosophy of letting other vendors sell DROD.

10-16-2016 at 05:13 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : In game indicator of completed challenge
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com