Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do you approach a level? (i.e. how linear is your play style) (When you are playing a level in which you have access to many rooms at once do you...?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
When you are playing a level in which you have access to many rooms at once do you...?
Play through the rooms one at a time and not explore the next room until you clear the current one.
Play through the rooms mostly one at a time, but move on to the next if you get stuck.
Play a little bit of each room to get a feel for it and bounce back and forth between rooms
Something completely different from any of those options.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon How do you approach a level? (i.e. how linear is your play style) (+2)  
This topic came up in chat and I find it rather interesting. People have different styles of play. When I begin a new level I usually start by exploring as much of it as I can and testing the water in different rooms. I might make a desultory attempt at a room here or there or test out a widget or two. I might solve a room or two along the way of exploring the level, or I might not. I also tend to bounce back and forth between rooms, especially when I get to rooms that are harder. If one room is giving me a lot of trouble and I haven't made any real progress in it I'll often move on to another one for a while.

Some of the people in chat are more linear in their approach. they tried to go one room at a time. Sometimes not exploring anything past the current room they were on. So what about you? How do you approach a new level? Feel free to ignore the poll thing and just write a bit about your style.

By the by, this came up as part of a discussion about progression-blocking green doors. I tend to very much dislike these since I love to explore the whole level if I can.

08-11-2016 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: How do you approach a level? (i.e. how linear is your play style) (+3)  
Explore entire level, try a few rooms, bail in terror, then come back later and realize the rest aren't so bad.

08-11-2016 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: How do you approach a level? (i.e. how linear is your play style) (+1)  
Yes, I'm also among the "explore the whole level as much as possible before solving a room" league.

Sometimes when the level is just too hard, 100% exploration might be the best challenge you can ever get.
08-12-2016 at 07:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Typically, if I enter a room and it looks doable, I'll start on it right there. Sometimes I might go poking into the adjacent rooms, but I don't usually take it further than that.

If it's an open level with a lot of hard rooms, I'll probably explore until I find a room I feel I have a chance with. Or all the rooms will look terrifying and then I'll pick one to struggle on until I get it.
08-12-2016 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
If I feel like whatever room I stumble upon first is doable, I tend to do that room. If not, I run off to other rooms until I find ones I feel are doable and do them. Once I've cleared all of the rooms I feel like I can do, I tend to poke at the rest of them for a bit, leave the game for a while in frustration, come back and try again, eventually consult H&S for the ones I just really do not get, and then finish those hard ones. At least, this is what happened to me with the official holds (and especially the worst of the "post-ending-becoming-available" levels of TSS)

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

08-12-2016 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
I just do whatever rooms seem most interesting and save the least interesting for last.
08-13-2016 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do you approach a level? (i.e. how linear is your play style) (When you are playing a level in which you have access to many rooms at once do you...?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com