Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Ultimate Hold (Unofficial Contest for August/September)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged
icon The Ultimate Hold (+5)  
There are many reasons our long-time smitemasters keep playing DROD: be it the ingenious holds, the unique music, the easy-to-learn and fun DRODscript, or even just the tarstuff cutting.
However, among them there is one thing we can all agree on which is essential for DROD, or just any game in general: the ultimate level of a hold.

An ultimate level of a hold is like the final chapter of a book: it's a mandatory level that concludes a hold in a good way, usually by topping over everything before it, placing at the point of climax to ramp up the stakes at hand, and is usually a challenge. It's not going to be your regular breather level. It's going to leave a big impression out of your mind. It might even be different from what you've been playing. And yet they're significant, that makes everyone feel happy and excited for the birth of existence of such a masterpiece. It's the level that gives you the sense of triumph.

So, why not have more happiness and excitement in the world, when we actually can? We'll feature a bunch of these levels at once, so we can have multiple bites of the taste of awesome!

How to participate i.e Rules:
1. Make a hold that consists of something you think would qualify as an ultimate level, and nothing else. However, you can put things for narrative/tutorial purposes of your entry, including but not limited to intro and end text/cutscenes.
Scripting and custom media is, of course, allowed. Use them to your advantage. (Copyright rules apply)
2. Finish your awesome hold and attach it to the submission thread during the submission period. You can revise it as much as you want during this period, we can all understand that feeling of "something just feels wrong".
3. One submission per contestant. Well, you can submit more than one if you want, but then I'll assume the latest submission entry to be the one participating in unless otherwise noted. And maybe you should make 1 great entry instead of 2 good entries?
4. There will be 3 weeks of submission period + around 2 weeks of playing/voting period. Take your time to be great.
Or, in numbers, the deadline is Local Time:08-29-2016 at 01:00 PM which gives you negative 399 weeks, 1 day to work on your entry.
(Voting deadline will be displayed at the voting thread)

Voting:
Since the contest entries are supposed to be the ultimate entries, the judgement criteria should be how ultimate they are how much do they feel like they fit as the level which concludes a hold in a good way.
This is going to be an all-rounded contest, which means you'll need more than just architecture. Difficulty is one way you can go for, but there are more possibilities than that. Make sure every other part are polished as well, too!
Reminder: Important things are, besides being big, concise too. So while there is no restrictions on the amount of levels you can include in an entry, making more levels doesn't necessary make your entry feel better.

Rewards:
Because I'm low on mod pointsWith a drodfolk's help, the prize will be as follows:
1st place: 1020 rank points
2nd place: 510 rank points
3nd place: 24 rank points

Do not let this discourage you, however. Every extra entry will make the contest more worthy then these rank points :P

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 08-15-2016 11:44 PM]
08-07-2016 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: The Ultimate Hold (0)  
This is a fun idea for a contest, you can definitely count me in! Thanks for running this uncopy2002, and thanks for incorporating a bunch of feedback from people in DROD chat. I think this is going to be a great contest :)

08-08-2016 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention this for a whole week, but the prize for this contest has been doubled from what was originally proposed because of a generous drodfolk who'd wish to not reveal his true identity.

So, the new prize is as follows:
1st place: 20 rank points
2nd place: 10 rank points
3nd place: 4 rank points

I've also edited the OP to reflect this change.
08-15-2016 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
Since the deadline has passed, is it the time of compiling prior to the time of the playing, judging, and voting?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

08-30-2016 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Ultimate Hold (Unofficial Contest for August/September)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com