Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Make it More Challenging (The contest for July)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: Make it More Challenging.hold (7.1 KB)
Downloaded 86 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Make it More Challenging (+3)  

CHALLENGE!
Take the rooms in the hold attached to this post and propose an interesting challenge for them.

Do you love the new scripted challenges in the 5.0 engine? Do you constantly check the Challenge scoreboard to track your progress in completing challenges? Are you planning to name your firstborn child after your favorite DROD challenge? Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme. But I think we can all agree that challenges are pretty cool. For this months contest you will be tasked to come up with an interesting unique challenge for the hold attached to this post. The hold was put together by Chaco, blorx1 and myself and contains rooms that we're pretty sure can be solved, but haven't actually tested out at all. Your job is to make things more interesting! Come up with a nifty challenge or two and submit them to the submissions thread!

What to do:
Post a challenge name, description of your challenge, and a demo of you successfully completing it to the submissions thread. You can hit the F5 key to begin recording a demo (this will record a multi-room demo if your challenge involves more than one room.) Alternatively, if you have just completed the challenge hit F4 and it will record a demo of everything from the beginning of the room up to the current move.

Challenges do not have to involve clearing the room or exiting, so be specific in your description. Challenges that end up with the player dying or being in an unwinnable position are fair game. As are multi room meta-challenges. You do not need to script the challenge or worry about if it is even possible to script. We'll leave that up to the experts for later should we decide to make a compilation.

Voting:
What makes a good challenge? People will probably vote however they want, but I'm going to encourage participants to focus on challenges that are creative and interesting over just purely difficult. Bonus points for coming up with a creative name for the challenge.

Rules:
1) Download the hold attached to this post.
2) Come up with a challenge.
3) Record a demo of your challenge using F4 or F5. You can export the demo by hitting F6 to bring you to the demo screen. Then just select the demo and click the "Export" button.
4) Post the name of your challenge along with a complete and detailed description of it in the submissions thread. Make sure to attach a demo of your challenge.
5) You can submit up to 3 entries. If you submit more than 3 and don't tell me which three you want to be your official entries I will assume it is the most recent three.
6) If you contributed rooms to the contest hold you can't submit a challenge that involves those rooms.
7) Contest ends Local Time:07-18-2016 at 01:00 PM meaning you have negative 404 weeks, 5 days left to submit.

Prizes:
EDIT: Because MRimer is such an awesome person this is now an official contest so the usual prizes are available:

1st Place: 100 Rank Points and something from the Prize Pile
2nd Place: 50 Ranks Points
3rd Place: 25 Rank Points

And you get 10 Rank Points just for entering if this is your very first official contest.

Have at it!

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention before, but a big thanks to Dragon Fogel for suggesting the idea for this contest.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 07-07-2016 01:33 AM]
07-02-2016 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: Challenge Contest .jpg (57.4 KB)
Downloaded 708 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Make it More Challenging (0)  
This post intentionally left blank.

07-02-2016 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
and contains rooms that we're pretty sure can be solved, but haven't actually tested out at all

Why is that?

Going to check out the hold now. Maybe I'll get an idea for a challenge.
07-02-2016 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
GerAvos wrote:
and contains rooms that we're pretty sure can be solved, but haven't actually tested out at all

Why is that?

The room in question is the one I submitted which was intentionally completely overdesigned with far too many things put into the room. I was going to test it, but decided not to, so I can't guarantee that it's solvable, but I figure it is because there's so much stuff to use.

I'll probably still submit an entry for one of the other rooms since I haven't seen what Chaco or Insoluble made (unless anyone thinks this is grossly unfair).

07-03-2016 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
blorx1 wrote:
The room in question is the one I submitted which was intentionally completely overdesigned with far too many things put into the room. I was going to test it, but decided not to, so I can't guarantee that it's solvable, but I figure it is because there's so much stuff to use.

If you are talking about
Click here to view the secret text
then yes, it's possible.

By the way, really cool contest!

07-03-2016 at 03:26 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks so much. Neat! Let's make this an official contest. :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-06-2016 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
This is just a gentle reminder that the contest deadline is about a week away. For the exact amount of time you have left check the first post.

Also thanks Mrimer for officializing the contest!

07-11-2016 at 04:57 PM
Insoluble
icon Re: Make it More Challenging (+1)  
Alright, time's up! We've got a lot of submissions to this contest so it's taking me slightly longer than I expected to compile all the demos. I'll try to re-record them so that user names don't appear and have a voting thread up in 24 hours or so.

EDIT: Okay, the Voting thread is up and can be found here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41327

[Last edited by Insoluble at 07-19-2016 06:15 AM]
07-18-2016 at 02:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Make it More Challenging (The contest for July)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com