Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Linux cannot handle multiple room styles in the same level. (At least, that's what us with CaravelNet think is happening)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
IP: Logged

File: drod.err (35.7 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Linux cannot handle multiple room styles in the same level. (0)  
I am running Linux. KUbuntu 16.04 to be precise.
Earlier today I decided that I'd like to beta test Crimson Moon's new hold, Chance for Paradise. I loaded up the hold and started playing it. I noticed that CM had placed multiple room styles into his hub level. Adjacent rooms had different styles. NOTE: This Is THE FIRST time I've seen this done.

I then tried to enter a level, to continue my testing. I couldn't do it. I was given the level description, and then, instead of entering the level, I was taken back to the Play Game menu. I tried clicking Continue Playing Game, and I was told that "DROD could not load the saved game"

Now, it gets weirder. I tried installing DROD. I chose version 5.1.0.6513 for Linux. I boot it up, and this time, I am able to get into CM's Hold and successfully enter a level from the hub. I tried a different level, and I was booted back to the Play Game Menu. I click Continue Game for the second time, and am again told "DROD cannot load the saved game"

A few minutes go by and then CM suggest I try out other holds. I do so and get this behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQiWlRGRP7Q

First, I show how the theme changes in the preview pictures as I switch back and forth through the holds.

Second, I show that the theme is correct when I enter the hold.

Third I show that moving from one level to the next involves a lengthy process:
I enter the stairs and get the level description.
I get booted from the hold. I reboot the game.
I enter the hold again.
I am now in the new level.

Next Blorx1 suggested that I try deleting the custom room styles that CM's hold added. I go to the editor and I am presented with a see that I can't edit CM's hold, despite the editing privileges set to "Anyone" Where there should be a display of the currently selected room is a big tan square. Clicking it does nothing. I take a look at some other rooms and find that I can edit some of them.

Attached is my DROD.err file, showing as much as it can. I think this is all the errors since the issue started, but I can't quite recall.

This saga is strange for a few reasons:
1. My game was fine before I played CM's hold.
2. People running Windows have no issues with CM's hold
3. I am no longer getting pop-ups telling me that "DROD cannot load the saved game."

TL;DR
Crimson Moon's hold, Chance for Paradise screws up the Linux version of DROD.

06-22-2016 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
icon Re: Linux cannot handle multiple room styles in the same level. (+1)  
I have now found the issue. The room Style Volcanoes did not auto install for me. Manually installing through the editor has fixed my issues.
Though by the point I discovered this my dat files were so corrupt that I had to re-install DROD.

06-22-2016 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 864
icon Re: Linux cannot handle multiple room styles in the same level. (+1)  
I wasn't able to reproduce this. :? I ran 5.1.0.6515 on Linux not connected to CaravelNet, installed Chance for Paradise, and visited all the rooms in the main hub.
06-24-2016 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Linux cannot handle multiple room styles in the same level. (At least, that's what us with CaravelNet think is happening)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com