Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about using music in holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
IP: Logged
icon Question about using music in holds (0)  
I have questions about using music in holds but I'm not sure how to succinctly phrase it so I'll just describe the whole situation: For my entry for the DROD Standard Edition contest, I had TSS elements intruding on KDD Level 1, the culmination being the full TSS intro music playing as you enter a room. I wanted to include some aural foreshadowing of this by having hints of the theme play in rooms leading up to this one, (like when you step on the TSS-themed (image) floor tiles in my entry) but didn't want to access/use/alter the actual song so instead I recorded myself playing just the TSS theme melody on a keyboard - different snippets, from the first two notes (kinda like the Jaws theme in reverse) up through the full 14-note melody line.

Furthermore, I manipulated the ("my") full 14-note melody with audio-editing software (time-stretched like 800% and then reversed over itself) and wound up with an atmospheric piece that I was going to use for the music in the last level of my entry.

hyperme wisely questioned whether I had permission for any of this music and since my entry was submitted right at the deadline we agreed to scrap it all and I'd address this once the contest ended and the hold was possibly going to be promoted.

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is: what - if any - permission is needed to do any/all of what I described?
06-20-2016 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Question about using music in holds (+1)  
If you are ever unsure about editing Caravel media just send mrimer a PM asking for permission and describing what it is you're doing and he'll grant you permission... or refuse it. The rest of us can't really say for sure.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 06-20-2016 09:19 PM]
06-20-2016 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Question about using music in holds (0)  
The TSS intro music is Emmett Plant's. He gave us license to include it in the game, but we can't give permission for anyone else to use it, because we don't have rights to that. They'd have to ask Emmett directly.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-28-2016 at 05:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
mrimer wrote:
The TSS intro music is Emmett Plant's. He gave us license to include it in the game, but we can't give permission for anyone else to use it, because we don't have rights to that. They'd have to ask Emmett directly.

By the way, are there any plans to sell Emmett Plant's part of TSS music again? Because I really want them, and I think many people do as well.
06-28-2016 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
uncopy2002 wrote:
mrimer wrote:

By the way, are there any plans to sell Emmett Plant's part of TSS music again? Because I really want them, and I think many people do as well.
You can buy them as part of the TSS+Music bundle on the CaravelGames site.

06-28-2016 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Question about using music in holds (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
uncopy2002 wrote:
mrimer wrote:

You can buy them as part of the TSS+Music bundle on the CaravelGames site.
Oh, I didn't notice that.

Though, is there any plans to sell them separately? Because... you know, I've bought the game, and I don't have any friends to give an extra copy to.
07-05-2016 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Emmett Plant is selling the album separately in a few places online, for instance here:

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Sky-Emmett-Plant/dp/B00IXR9ZCQ

07-06-2016 at 10:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about using music in holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com