Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Snake clock?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged
icon Snake clock? (0)  
So why is there a clock for red snakes? What's the purpose of it?
05-30-2016 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Snake clock? (0)  
The serpent movement method (for all three types) has a preference for either horizontal or vertical movement, which alternates every five turns.

There's a bit of an explanation here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/site/serpents
05-30-2016 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Snake clock? (+3)  
GerAvos wrote:
So why is there a clock for red snakes? What's the purpose of it?

Great question. The clock will actually appear for every kind of serpent and it has to do with the funky way in which serpents move. Snake movement takes a lot of getting used to because snakes will change their preferred behavior every five turns. Here's a brief run down on how snakes try to move (secreted for length or in case you just want to skip it):

Click here to view the secret text

Whew! Okay I know that sounds super complicated but I promise it actually starts to make sense and be predictable after a while. Most puzzles involving snakes in the official holds don't really require understanding of the more arcane aspects of serpent movement, so don't worry too much about all this just yet. If you do find yourself playing a lot of the tougher holds with snakes, some folks have designed special clocks to show you which direction the snake prefers on a given turn (either horizontal or vertical), but you don't really need those even for the most difficult snake rooms if you just remember 0 - 4 horizontal and 5 - 9 vertical. It takes some getting used to for sure, but you'll eventually master the tricks of serpent manipulation!

tl:dr snakes will prefer to move either horizontally or vertically based on what the turn number is, but most puzzles involving snakes don't actually require you to pay too much attention to this.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 05-31-2016 06:03 PM]
05-30-2016 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Snake clock?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com