Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Download links of the official holds?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged
icon Download links of the official holds? (+2)  
Hey there! I'm new on this forum and just today discovered this great game. I'm seriously loving it, it's just my type of game. I love puzzlers.

So on to my question, I have DROD 5 The Second Sky which has only one official hold. I'd like to have download links of holds from the other games and play them in DROD 5. Is that possible?

Also, I wonder how active this community is nowadays. Are people still making holds?

I realise I can try all the usermade holds but I first want to check out the official main story.

So, the one that I played is extremely hard in my opinion. It took me a very long time to figure out how to deal with the snakes in the room with the stone golems. Currently I'm in the floor where the chain chomps are being introduced.

[Last edited by GerAvos at 05-28-2016 11:26 PM]
05-28-2016 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Download links of the official holds? (+2)  
If you want to play the other official holds in the TSS engine then you will need to have:

1) Purchased the hold directly from this website. If you purchased it from elsewhere then you're out of luck I'm afraid.

2) Have CaravelNet active, so that you can download them directly into the engine from the in-game Holds list. Note that when you buy from this site, it comes with a free month of CNet so there's your window of opportunity to do so.

I believe, but don't want to be quoted on this because I'm not 100% sure, but when the games eventually release on Steam, all 5 main official holds will all be played on the TSS engine, so alternatively you can just wait until they come out on Steam and buy them from there (but you also get a Steam key when you buy from here...)

People are indeed still making holds. The latest user-made hold to make it to the Holds board came out 2 weeks ago.

TSS was primarily made for more experienced DROD players. It's quite a lot harder than the other main holds.
05-28-2016 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
Yes you can definitely play the earlier holds in the DROD 5.0 game engine. As well as all the user-made holds.

The easiest way is with a CaravelNet subscription, because it lets you download all the holds within the game, tracks your scores, and some other forum-y stuff. You get a free month of CaravelNet every time you purchase one of the "main" official holds (KDD, JtRH, TCB, GatEB, and TSS).

In addition to the five main holds, there are a number of Smitemasters Selection holds that expand upon the main storyline. Those are available for purchase as well.

All the other usermade holds are free, I believe.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-28-2016 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
It's worth mentioning that if you're interested in the official main story, you should begin with Journey to Rooted Hold, which is also a good hold from an "introduction to DROD gameplay" point of view -- it has fewer elements and remains easy for the first few levels before gradually ramping up.

KDD is the actual first hold, but it has very little in the way of story. All you need to know from it is that Beethro cleared out King Dugan's dungeon, and while he was there, he found a mysterious door on the Tenth Level he didn't know how to open. At the start of JtRH, he goes back to take another look at that door. If you want the start of the story in more detail, then read "Beethro the Delver".

TCB and TSS are the second and third major instalments, so they are best played in order after finishing JtRH. They're also not so great as gameplay introductions (though both of them begin with warm-up levels in case anyone picks them up as their first taste of DROD).

GatEB is a prequel, entirely separate from the rest of the story. It tells the story of Beethro's grandfather, Gunthro. It's also quite a bit easier than the other holds, so it's another possible starting point. It certainly helped me get back into the series after TCB fried my brain.

There are a number of Smitemaster's Selections, some of which tell parts of the story in between JtRH, TCB, and TSS, but none of them are really essential to understand the story.

05-29-2016 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
icon Re: Download links of the official holds? (+1)  
Alright, thank you guys! In the end I decided to peek in peoples let's plays of KDD and GatEB and I'm thinking about getting JtRH.
05-30-2016 at 11:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Download links of the official holds?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com