Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Art of Shimpul English
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
IP: Logged

File: 20160519_123822.jpg (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 368 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon The Art of Shimpul English (+5)  
Click here to view the secret text

I did this today because I could. I vaguely remember how to Shimpul English.

I used a D. Leonardt 3½ nib, Diamine Jet Black ink, and a Faber Castell E-Motion pen with a size F nib.

[Last edited by BlueFlower at 05-19-2016 07:43 PM]
05-19-2016 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The Art of Shimpul English (+3)  
BlueFlower wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

I did this today because I could. I vaguely remember how to Shimpul English.

I used a D. Leonardt 3½ nib, Diamine Jet Black ink, and a Faber Castell E-Motion pen with a size F nib.
It's wonderful! Note that the "simple" has no "sh" sound at the beginning although that is appealingly silly. Maybe you have transposed the "ih" to "hi"?

The nice thing about making up nonsense is that you get to be the absolute authority on that nonsense.

-Erik

05-19-2016 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The Art of Shimpul English (+1)  
Hey Erik, speaking of sihmpuhl englihsh, when are you going to write more verses of "The Wormspeaker?" :P
05-20-2016 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Art of Shimpul English (+3)  
RabidChild wrote:
Hey Erik, speaking of sihmpuhl englihsh, when are you going to write more verses of "The Wormspeaker?" :P
This was the only one I have been able to find so far in my archaeology. There was one remnant I discovered last Twissuary, but flood moisture completely destroyed its legibility.

-Erik

05-20-2016 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 488
I know there's a full cipher for Simphul English, but the only picture of it I can find is taken from an angle that renders it unreadable due to a combanation of reflections in the clear plastic and the camera being too far away.

Also, would you say that Simphul English is actually spoken like English as we know it, or sounds as different as it looks and is translated when it passes through the fourth wall?

05-28-2016 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
averagemoe wrote:
Also, would you say that Simphul English is actually spoken like English as we know it, or sounds as different as it looks and is translated when it passes through the fourth wall?
It's a phonetic representation of English spoken with an American accent.

Which is not to say that people of the Eighth speak with an American accent. There is an idea that the Eighth is even more different than what is represented by the story, and somebody somewhere has cleaned everything up a bit to make it understandable and relatable to your eyes.

Probably that's what you meant by fourth wall translation, right?

-Erik

05-29-2016 at 03:43 AM
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: The Art of Shimpul English (+4)  
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly how Simphul English is pronounced and how it is written, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
05-29-2016 at 06:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Art of Shimpul English
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com