Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Facial expressions do not work for Negotiator and 39-th Slayer
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Arhath
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Facial expressions do not work for Negotiator and 39-th Slayer (+2)  
Both of them speak their lines of dialogue with standart avatar, even when using non-standart "mood" option. Halph and Beethro, however, can express their emotions properly.

This happens in build 5.1.0.6512, in my holds and in JtRH 5.0
04-22-2016 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Facial expressions do not work for Negotiator and 39-th Slayer (0)  
I'd like to bump this topic since the bug/oversight is still in as of the most recent version of DROD (Mac 5.1.0.6512 for me, I think others on other operating systems have confirmed in chat).

I'm not sure how straightforward it would actually be to fix, in terms of how the 5.0 engine handles default portraits, but I'm sure we can think of something.

09-17-2018 at 07:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
I can confirm that this bug exists on Windows 7 Ultimate. I tried setting custom facial expressions for 39th Slayer in one of my contest entries, but they didn't do anything.

09-17-2018 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ThemsAllTook
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 207
Possibly related: While working on dialogue for my latest hold, I noticed that even for Halph and Beethro, expressions wouldn't always show what I specified in speech commands. A few times, I even saw the character's expression revert to neutral while they were in the middle of speaking. There was no consistent pattern to the behavior that I could find, but in a pretty significant amount of cases (maybe 30% of the time or so?), speech was showing me a neutral portrait instead of the emotion I'd specified. Replaying the exact same dialogue without changing the script would show different behavior; it just seems to revert completely at random.
09-17-2018 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Unlike the game's logic that is turn based, speech happens in real time so I am wondering if there is some quirkiness with CueEvents and speech queue at work here.

09-17-2018 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Facial expressions do not work for Negotiator and 39-th Slayer (+2)  
It might be worth mentioning that in the 5.0 versions of JtRH and TCB, they used custom characters with names like "39th Slayer happy" and "84th Negotiator stressed" to get around this.

There's a feature request to make custom character portraits handle expressions, and I suggested that those two should go back to having by default.

09-17-2018 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Facial expressions do not work for Negotiator and 39-th Slayer (+2)  
This, unfortunately, works as intended. Here is an uglified Faces.png, which the game uses for built-in portraits:

[attachment]

There are no alternate motions for Slayer or Negotiator - like averagemoe said, these were done with custom characters.

Closing as not a bug.

10-12-2020 at 02:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Facial expressions do not work for Negotiator and 39-th Slayer
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com