Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Stephen's Sausage Roll (Puzzle game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
IP: Logged
icon Stephen's Sausage Roll (+2)  
A puzzle game with a mechanic almost, but not quite like, DROD's sword-turning.

Quite tightly designed, and quite challenging. The price may be a bit on the high side, but how many good puzzle games come out each year anyway?

http://www.stephenssausageroll.com/

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353540/
04-18-2016 at 12:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Stephen's Sausage Roll (+1)  
I should also point out that the dev, increpare games, previously made English Country Tune.
04-18-2016 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Stephen's Sausage Roll (+2)  
He's also an occasional visitor here, which could help explain some minor DROD influence.

04-18-2016 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
Thanks for the heads up ..... tougher than the witness, allegedly.

Guardian Review

04-18-2016 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
Interesting comment beneath the review:
"I've been researching this game for the past twenty minutes and quite literally nobody has explained what's great about the game. I feel like I've entered some cryptic world where everybody is making assurances that something is amazing but nobody can explain why.

Does the game simply defy reasonable interpretation?"

04-18-2016 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
icon Re: Stephen's Sausage Roll (0)  
This is a fab game for DROD folk who liked TSS and other lynchpin style puzzles.

And, I think it's going to be really really tough - it takes no prisoners even in the opening screen and opening puzzles.

The central mechanism that bears some resemblance to dropping DROD trapdoors, or walking on hot tiles, is that you have to roll
the sausage around by pushing it, Sokoban style, onto the hot tiles.

04-20-2016 at 06:18 PM
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
After getting relatively far in this game, I can safely say it is truly amazing. It is worth buying for sure if you are into good puzzle games. The initial mechanics of moving sausages ends up being extremely deep and the game builds upon these mechanics significantly every new area.

I think most of the reviews tend to avoid mechanics because of the centrality of discovering the mechanics for oneself. So far there's only been one point where an unclear mechanic screwed with me and caused me to feel hopelessly stuck, but I ended up finding out what I was missing somewhere online.

04-21-2016 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
xpym
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
Thanks from me as well, truly a delightful game. Kind of a shame that the dev seems to have intentionally went with a general public-repelling style, otherwise this really deserves more than utter obscurity.
04-24-2016 at 07:41 PM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Stephen's Sausage Roll (0)  
I really like the style and atmosphere, but see why it would put a lot of people off.

I don't think it's quite as hard as everyone says. The early puzzles seem impossible at first, but SSR has one of the smoothest, most carefully considered difficulty curves I've seen in a puzzle game. I think it's a phenomenal game.

08-22-2016 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
comp
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Snacko wrote:
I don't think it's quite as hard as everyone says.

definitely not as hard as some claim. everything is there for a reason. no red herrings. you just have to figure out what to do with it all.

there are so many puzzles, everyone is bound to get stuck somewhere. in the first half of the game, this usually means you just wander somewhere else and try a different one. eventually the game gets linear tho.

it was really an impressive feat for one guy to make that game. I am not surprised he's obviously played and enjoyed Drod. My first thought was it looked like Drod had gotten dropped into Minecraft (I've only seen pics of Minecrcaft tho).

The first five worlds of the game are great fun. The game dragged a little for me on the home stretch and I was kinda just ready to get it done-- but that's probably because it was so big and I should have paced myself a little better.

But there isn't a bad puzzle in the thing, and it does not repeat itself. You aren't solving the same thing over and over. And for what it's worth, looking at some forums/reddit/etc. the levels I got stuck on did not seem to be troublesome to most, and I didn't have much trouble with many where other people seemed to.

I refused to look up any hints or walkthroughs, so it did get frustrating when I was stuck. But a night's sleep did the trick every time. And almost invariably I was just missing something kinda obvious.

Great game. Perfect for Drod lovers. Obviously a labor of love and work of genius by increpare. Well worth the 30 bucks (20-50 hours of play depending on you). Absolute steal whenever it eventually goes on sale.

09-17-2016 at 02:54 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Stephen's Sausage Roll (Puzzle game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com