Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (A random idea that may or may not become a full hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged

File: output_cLkzk7.gif (815.7 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (0)  
I had an interesting idea a few weeks ago wondering what A-Z times A-Z would look like. I made it, and that made me wonder what it would look like as a DROD hold. I made the a-z*a-z graph and a possible map of how the entire hold would look like. That is what my GIF is.
If I did make it, I would like to use elements from "Tar Superstar v.2", "Narrow Perspectives", and "Troshian Grounds". "Tar Superstar v.2" for the slight changes to the same basic design. "Narrow Perspectives" for the innovative method to move between rooms. "Troshian Grounds" for the universal access to a map room. To give credit where credit is due, "Tar Superstar v.2" was created by Claude, "Narrow Perspectives" by Skell, and "Troshian Grounds" by Rasmus Björling. What do you all think? If you think you could make something like it, Go For It!!!

[Last edited by abe10 at 03-29-2016 05:00 AM]
03-29-2016 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (0)  
So you intend to do a 676-room hold, on your own, as your first hold? Where's Banjooie when you need him?

03-29-2016 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Possibly. Most likely not. Can DROD 5.1 even HANDLE that large of a level? Actually, I would like it to be 30^2. That would allow 8 hallways of safety and separate the rooms into 16 groups of 25 each, 8 groups of 240 each, and the center section of 36. And yeah, I do know that I come up with crazy and essentially impossible ideas every day.

[Last edited by abe10 at 03-29-2016 05:20 AM]
03-29-2016 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
a) Yes, DROD can handle that.
2) No, that's not a reasonable idea.
\LaTeX{\gamma}) If (when) you give up on it, you can take the best of the rooms you make and put them into a sensible hold.
03-29-2016 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (+1)  
Clearly each room needs to be empty save for one monster element mapped to each letter. So AB would have a roach and a roach queen in it or whatever. Something for the completionists, and it could be built in no time!

Alternatively, everyone complains that KDD:13 is too small.

03-29-2016 at 06:45 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (+1)  
While a 900 room hold is dramatically overambitious for a first hold (no hold that size has been published yet) I see no problem in working on it. You can always use it as a source for ideas and take the best rooms to make a smaller hold with as others have said. There's also no reason why you can't make this a super long term project and work on a smaller hold at the same time as long as you don't let the 900 room behemoth become your main focus.

Another way to make this more manageable would be to take a smaller subset of DROD elements and make a nxn hold out of them. For example, you could decide to just use KDD elements:
Click here to view the secret text

That puts you under 200 puzzle rooms which is a lot more doable (though still a rather large hold). If you kept it to just the monsters it would be 81 rooms which is quite reasonable. It doesn't have to be KDD stuff either, that was just an example. You could pick your 10 favorite monsters and do a 10 by 10 grid with them. This would probably make an interesting first hold, as long as you don't accidentally include gentryii.

03-29-2016 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
I currently believe in it half heartedly. I half heartedly wanted to do it since I first thought about it. But at least you all have my letter map with every word in the English language on it. Now you can invent your own titles after letting your eyes wander over it.

03-29-2016 at 08:53 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (+3)  
Gonna take a guess at how large the filesize of this hold will be when it is completed.

394.96 GB
03-29-2016 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
kieranmillar wrote:
Gonna take a guess at how large the filesize of this hold will be when it is completed.

394.96 GB
Pretty sure it'll be at most a few MB.
03-30-2016 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
What kind of hold averages 598MB a room?

03-30-2016 at 03:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A_-Z_ times _A-_Z (A random idea that may or may not become a full hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com