Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Xindaris' First Hold : Invisible Brains : 2 North, 2 East (I don't undertand builders)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
boodog
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged

File: Clipboard01.jpg (263.3 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Xindaris' First Hold : Invisible Brains : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
I don't really understand builders, but my general idea is that if they have a task to to they move to the nearest available task using brained movement. In this case why is the builder not attempting to destroy the walls, he has a clear path?
03-21-2016 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Xindaris' First Hold : Invisible Brains : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
Builders need "supplies", they have to go back to those circular "resource" things between each "build" they do, regardless of whether they created or destroyed something on said "build".

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-21-2016 01:58 PM]
03-21-2016 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
boodog

File: Clock1.png (23.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
OK fair enough, I still don't understand why he doesn't just go and get some. The pathway is clear as far as I can tell.

[Last edited by boodog at 03-21-2016 05:47 PM]
03-21-2016 at 02:12 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
They don't use brained movement, they use a different movement type which lets them pathfind across force arrows and orthosquares properly.

They also can't tell when a monster is in the way of their destination. If they believe their destination is blocked, they'll switch to a new one (unless there's a Persistent Movement token), but if they're blocked by a monster they'll just stand in place.

I'm not sure how they treat gentryii chains. If they don't treat them as pathfinding obstacles, that would explain your screenshot. (It might also be a bug, now that I think about it.)
03-21-2016 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
boodog

File: Clock2.png (26.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Thanks for your help, I finally got him to move, but am still unsure how I triggered it or what the problem was though.

[Last edited by boodog at 03-21-2016 05:47 PM]
03-21-2016 at 05:42 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Well, it turns out that he thought he could move through the chain, so he never tried to update his destination.

I've reported this as a bug. Even if it's deemed not to be one, there's a definite-bug where citizens can actually step past diagonal gentryii chains.
03-21-2016 at 05:48 PM
Bill L
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
I cant quite figure out how to keep the gentryii out of the way of the builder without being killed. He gets close to the relay station and then gets stuck. What do I need to do?

never mind H & S genie strikes again. Im learning that patience,grasshopper,patience is the answer

[Last edited by Bill L at 05-30-2016 04:57 PM]
05-30-2016 at 04:07 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Bill L wrote:
I cant quite figure out how to keep the gentryii out of the way of the builder without being killed. He gets close to the relay station and then gets stuck. What do I need to do?

I'm not sure exactly what part of the room you are on. The gentryii never gets in the way of the builder since there is always a diagonal path he can take. Is it the builder getting killed? The only time the builder was anywhere near the gentryii at the same time that the adder was nearby was right before he removed the wall from (30,30) and (32,30) and right after the adder ate the brain at (43,10). Here's how I went about doing that bit (warning: pretty spoilery for that part of the room.):

Click here to view the secret text

Sorry if this wasn't the part you needed help with! I can post hints for other bits of the room if you need.

05-30-2016 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Xindaris' First Hold : Invisible Brains : 2 North, 2 East (I don't undertand builders)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com