Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Unverified demos
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
IP: Logged
icon Unverified demos (0)  
What is going on here?
The number of unverified demos has exploded.

From the famous Neanderthal,

ads

03-13-2016 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
icon Re: Unverified demos (-1)  
Excellent - another coward has given me a -1.

Question: Is it allowed to say that 2+2 = 4?

Best wishes to the thought police,

adS

03-13-2016 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Unverified demos (+2)  
adS wrote:
What is going on here?
The number of unverified demos has exploded.
Every recorded demo ever (one per user per room) needs to be re-verified against the 5.1 build.

Any demo which isn't possible with the new code gets deleted so that future players are on a level playing field. Otherwise it would be possible to end up with unreproducible scores. skell flagged some of the likely casualties here.
03-13-2016 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
adS
icon Re: Unverified demos (0)  
Thank you,

adS

03-13-2016 at 10:50 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Unverified demos (+1)  
adS wrote:
Excellent - another coward has given me a -1.

Question: Is it allowed to say that 2+2 = 4?

Best wishes to the thought police,

adS
One reason people prefer to use mod points instead of discussing it is that they want to respect the rest of the community by not polluting threads with lengthy discussions about someone's behavior. It's a signal which tells you to think about your post because in this forum we believe that we are all smart people capable of introspection.
Now if you can't figure it out yourself it's of course fine to ask why someone did it, though the tone you used to do that is, in my personal opinion, self-righteous and accusatory which is why I gave it -1.
There are of course ways to be mean using this system but during the lenghty history of this forum there were only a few cases of people going rampage and much more cases of people using it the intended way, so by pure probability I don't think it's a personal vendetta.

03-13-2016 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
The point about the number of unverified demos suddenly growing from ~20000 to ~100000 is valid, though.

I was a bit surprised too, and Dragon Fogel mentioned that this might have to do with that the demo spiders munches one batch of demo at a time, and the ~20000 number shown might just be the number for one batch. Now if there are many more batches of demos not processed yet...

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 03-13-2016 12:08 PM]
03-13-2016 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
uncopy2002 wrote:
The point about the number of unverified demos suddenly growing from ~20000 to ~100000 is valid, though.

I'd need to ask Schik to know how exactly the regular spider works, but there are generally 2 million demos to reverify so if they were not thrown all at once into the check bucket, then they'll be done in batches.

03-13-2016 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Unverified demos (+1)  
The number will go up and it will go down. In a week or two it will stabilize around zero.

03-13-2016 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Unverified demos (+2)  
Hi,

It appears there are two reported 5.1 engine bugs that result in incorrect behavior:

Pushing gentryii into pits or water (scroll to bottom)
Guards with dagger turning to kill

The spider may be inadvertently throwing out "good" demos that were recorded before this buggy behavior was introduced into the engine.

Just wanted to suggest that maybe these "rejected" demos be kept until the spider is fixed.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 03-13-2016 03:39 PM]
03-13-2016 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
There are no guards with daggers in published holds, fortunately. Gentryii into pits might cause issues, though.
03-13-2016 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Unverified demos
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com