Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Invisible Briar build markers
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Invisible Briar build markers (+1)  
Briar root/growth can be built successfully and have build markers created and built over by citizens successfully, but the build markers for them are invisible in the same way the floor spike ones used to be.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

03-09-2016 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Invisible Briar build markers (+1)  
Can confirm. All three types of briar have invisible build markers.

I'm just going to make a room with all allowable build markers now.
03-09-2016 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Invisible Briar build markers (+2)  
Okay. Made a test room with every build marker in the list. (Haven't looked at MyScript yet.)

In addition to the ones noted above, these are the only issues or oddities I could find:
-Remove Floor Layer Item and Remove Item have no visible indication that I can see, even with items on the floor. (Force arrow for the former, potion for the latter.) Worse, Remove Item doesn't show up on right-clicking. It functions just fine with all potions and horns, but there's no visual indicator.
-If you don't specify an image, Build Marker: Overhead Image doesn't show up at all. Image Pit, Image Wall, and Image Floor all just go with their default appearance for the respective tile type. This is probably fine, I'm just noting it.
-It is possible to build an open door next to a closed one of the same type and vice versa. This is inconsistent with doing so in the editor, when placing a door changes any orthogonally adjacent doors of the same type.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-09-2016 10:54 PM]
03-09-2016 at 10:52 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Invisible Briar build markers (0)  
That last one is also inconsistent with the Build command behavior. My troll hold entry used it in one place to open some doors by building an adjacent open door to a closed one.

03-09-2016 at 11:22 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-It is possible to build an open door next to a closed one of the same type and vice versa. This is inconsistent with doing so in the editor, when placing a door changes any orthogonally adjacent doors of the same type.
I personally like this behavior and totally not because I use it in a hold of mine :).

03-10-2016 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Hmm...I would expect the result of building a tile via both Build and Build Marker would be the same. Any good reasons to have them be different?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-10-2016 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73

File: Gate Build Test Hold.hold (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
In 5.0, building an open/closed yellow door next to a closed/open one won't open/close it with builders, engineers, or the build command.

In fact it's entirely consistent (room attached):

Official Hold Progress:

[Last edited by Keiya at 03-10-2016 04:48 PM]
03-10-2016 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Ohh, I must have actually just made the entire region an open door in that hold. Whoops, sorry.

03-10-2016 at 05:00 PM
mrimer
All three types of briar have invisible build markers.
Fixed in rev 6496.
Dragon Fogel wrote:
In addition to the ones noted above, these are the only issues or oddities I could find:
-Remove Floor Layer Item and Remove Item have no visible indication that I can see, even with items on the floor.
Added missing effect for Remove Item. These two fade out the item on the floor.
Remove Item doesn't show up on right-clicking.
Fixed.
-If you don't specify an image, Build Marker: Overhead Image doesn't show up at all. Image Pit, Image Wall, and Image Floor all just go with their default appearance for the respective tile type. This is probably fine, I'm just noting it.
Yeah, this is fine.
Building doesn't necessarily have to be consistent with how the editor operates. If play gets obviously buggy after doing this, however, then we need to fix those issues.

03-11-2016 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
mrimer wrote:
Building doesn't necessarily have to be consistent with how the editor operates. If play gets obviously buggy after doing this, however, then we need to fix those issues.

I haven't seen any issues it causes. The fact that the doors merge if they get toggled to match is kind of weird, but not buggy (and probably has more puzzle potential than the other case, honestly. Really dense yellow door puzzles?)

Official Hold Progress:

03-11-2016 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Keiya wrote:
I haven't seen any issues it causes. The fact that the doors merge if they get toggled to match is kind of weird, but not buggy (and probably has more puzzle potential than the other case, honestly. Really dense yellow door puzzles?)

Can we just agree that a reasonable architect really shouldn't mess with this behavior.

03-11-2016 at 02:16 PM
mrimer
I personally agree. :)

03-11-2016 at 02:29 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
blorx1 wrote:
Keiya wrote:

Can we just agree that a reasonable architect really shouldn't mess with this behavior.

As long as it's used in a predictably reasonable and reasonably predictable way it should be mightily fine. Like the whole hold themed around it :).

03-11-2016 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Can confirm that briar roots, briar growth, and withered briar build markers are visible now.

Can confirm that Remove Item build markers are showing up on right-click.

Remove Floor Layer Item and Remove Item build markers still don't have a visible effect, or if they do it's way too subtle for me to catch.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-11-2016 05:15 PM]
03-11-2016 at 04:56 PM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, did some more checking since that last post.

Remove Floor Layer Item and Remove Item are showing their effect, but not on platforms or pressure plates.

I'll make a new thread with a sample hold.
03-12-2016 at 01:05 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Invisible Briar build markers
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com