Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Built briar roots do not grow
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged
icon Built briar roots do not grow (+1)  
If you build briar roots via script command Build, they will not grow. Also happens for build markers (both citizens and engineers).

Tested in version 5.1.0.6478.
02-28-2016 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Built briar roots do not grow (0)  
Additional bug related to this: clicking on a built briar root crashes the game, presumably because it can't calculate the number of turns to grow when the root isn't growing.

Tested in 5.1.0.6491.
03-05-2016 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Bug reported by DF also happens in 5.1.0.6478, left-clicking on built briar root freezes game for a moment before crashing.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 03-05-2016 06:05 PM]
03-05-2016 at 06:01 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Built briar roots do not grow (+1)  
Other briar-related notes:
-If "withered briar" or "briar growth" is built adjacent to an existing patch, it is not treated as part of that patch but otherwise functions fine.
-If "briar growth" is built on a tile that is part of a patch, it never stops being red even after briar growth. This seems to only be aesthetic, as it's not considered in the maturing process and the patch can grow into tiles only accessible from the "growth" tile. It still identifies as "briar growth" on right-click.
-If "withered briar" is built on a tile that is part of a patch, once all "briar growth" has matured there's an error beep and growth is delayed by one turn.

I suggest removing all briar from the build list until there's time to address these issues more fully.
03-05-2016 at 06:14 PM
Dragon Fogel

File: Dont Build Briar.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
Made a hold to demonstrate these issues, on the assumption they'll be fixed at some point in the future.

As far as I can tell, when replacing "Briar Growth" with "Withered Briar", the game attempts to mature the briar growth that you replaced, and beeps because it isn't there.

I also tried building "Briar Growth" next to a pit and I'm not entirely sure what happened there. I think it matured then went back to red and stayed red? Letting it grow more past there might make things clearer.

What it looks like to me right now is that replacing "briar growth" with "withered briar" or vice versa causes the growth process to just proceed as if the original tile were there. This is probably not a quick fix and again, I suggest just taking briar out of the build list for now.

Edit: while testing this, I decided to check building tarstuff and fluff. Fortunately, growth for built tarstuff and fluff works fine. You can even build on Turn 30 and the newly-built stuff will grow immediately, as the characters placing it move before the growth phase.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-05-2016 06:41 PM]
03-05-2016 at 06:30 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Is it possible some more holds use the "build briar"/"build withered briar" commands?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-05-2016 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Briar isn't in the build list for Gunthro at all, though I guess it might be available through MyScript.

I don't recall seeing any sort of briar built in any TSS hold I've been through, and I've been through most of them.
03-05-2016 at 06:59 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Briar is built in TSS itself, isn't it?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-05-2016 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I don't think so. There are rooms with engineers and briar in Somewhere Beneath the Ocean, but that's just placing walls to manage the growth of briar that's already there.

I could be forgetting something, though. There are a lot of rooms in TSS.
03-05-2016 at 11:23 PM
mrimer
I'm thinking of Behind the Scenes.

03-06-2016 at 12:42 AM
Dragon Fogel
Oh, you're right, the cutscene at the start produces a lot of withered briar.

(Also, the game crashed when I hit Esc immediately after the scene. That might have been CloudSync not being happy with the large number of demos I have for that hold, since I saw a popup about it just before the crash.)

There aren't any roots, though. So if those are removed until they work properly, they won't affect that scene.

The other two briar types only cause issues when replacing other kinds of briar, so a long-term fix could be just outright disallowing the building in that situation. For now, though, they're weird but mostly usable.
03-06-2016 at 01:35 AM
mrimer
bomber50 wrote:
If you build briar roots via script command Build, they will not grow. Also happens for build markers (both citizens and engineers).

...Additional bug related to this: clicking on a built briar root crashes the game, presumably because it can't calculate the number of turns to grow when the root isn't growing...

Tested in version 5.1.0.6478.
I've fixed these issues in rev 6493.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-07-2016 02:33 PM]
03-07-2016 at 02:03 PM
mrimer
Dragon Fogel wrote:
As far as I can tell, when replacing "Briar Growth" with "Withered Briar", the game attempts to mature the briar growth that you replaced, and beeps because it isn't there.
You are correct. I've fixed this in rev 6494.

Please re-try briar growth now. I believe any remaining issues are purely aesthetic and don't need to hold up a 5.1 release.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-07-2016 02:33 PM]
03-07-2016 at 02:33 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
I've just confirmed at 6494:

Building briar growth, withered won't crash horribly
Built briar root functions properly
Built briar growth and withered merges with placed briars properly, and function exactly like them

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 03-07-2016 06:08 PM]
03-07-2016 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Can confirm, built briar roots grow and replacing briar growth with withered briar no longer causes beeps or has any expectation of growth. I also didn't see any errors when replacing a briar root with withered briar.

Replacing withered briar or a root with briar growth in a growing patch still has its issues, but as noted they're mainly aesthetic. There are some ruleset questions as to what should happen, but they can probably be added to the "to work out later" list.
03-07-2016 at 06:33 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Built briar roots do not grow
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com