Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
IP: Logged
icon What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel? (+1)  
Let's imagine that DROD RPG will get a sequel. Hey, who knows, maybe it will one day.

What do you think DROD RPG could improve on? Would do you think are the design missteps from the first game? What parts do you think work particularly well and should be focussed on?

I'll add my thoughts a bit later when I've thought about them more, but there was a discussion brewing in chat and it seems a fair number of people have strong opinions about RPG, including myself!
02-12-2016 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel? (+1)  
Here's some quick bullet points that would be pretty nice:

- Automatic journalling of killed monsters and picked up stat boosts. Journalling of opening doors and dropping trapdoors could be helpful too but not as major as the others.

- Right-clicking a monster showing the next ATK checkpoint for reduced number of hits to kill. A nice measure for convenience's sake.

- Maps should probably just reveal all non-secret rooms completely instead of just showing the shape of the map. Scripted events that reveal particular rooms (e.g. showing where the shield is) are cool, but it would be nice to just have a default setting for maps that's real nice. If architects want to only show map shapes but not map contents, they can use existing scripting commands to do that instead of pre-placing a Map.

- Auto-save checkpoints as something you can just place from the editor screen, like in regular DROD. Right now you have to script each one.

02-12-2016 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
- The ability for a script to modify the stats of a particular monster. For example, you could script an item that, when used, reduces the DEF of the monster in front of you.

- I like the idea of a full-reveal map that's as easy to add to rooms as the existing map item, but only if it's an alternative and doesn't replace partial-reveal maps.

- Custom affinities (things like how goblins are weak to the Goblin Biter). So, for instance, you could decide that rock golems and rock giants count as Earth-aligned, and have a weapon that multiplies ATK against Earth-aligned monsters (and you would choose the multiplier, it need not be double).

- Hue modification. The existing colour modification is good when it works, but for example waterskippers are so red, you can't make them into any other colour.

- Percentage damage has proved unpopular, and usermade holds are starting to take advantage of the ability to set hot tiles to do constant damage (as in Castle Repton). It would be nice if the RPG2 official hold followed suit.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 02-13-2016 12:39 AM]
02-12-2016 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
If a new DROD RPG were to come out, I just wish more people would play it - it was a great game but criminally underrated.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

02-13-2016 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel? (0)  
skell's face. Obviously.

02-14-2016 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel? (+2)  
I always thought that a game following Tendry after the events in TSS would be cool (spoiler)
Click here to view the secret text

02-14-2016 at 09:29 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel? (+2)  
Some short self-contained side quests, maybe as another playable character, where stats are set to a known value and specific solutions are needed. I would not give up the main quest as a lengthy campaign of efficiency though. I just think the shorter specific solution quests would give interesting variety and also serve to force-train key concepts.

02-14-2016 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Something akin to a "par" score to know if you have done well enough with your efficiency to finish the hold. Maybe upon completing a level for the first time, it just warns you if any of your resources are lower than some minimums.

02-15-2016 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What would you like to see in a DROD RPG sequel?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com