Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Crypt of the Necrodancer. (With one little twist becomes very DROD-like.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Crypt of the Necrodancer. (+3)  
On Steam for five bucks right now. Runs on Mac, Windows.
http://necrodancer.com/

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a generated dungeon exploration game, e.g. Rogue-like. The genius is the musical control system where you time your moves to sync up to the beat. It reminds me of some unrealized multi-player DROD ideas I had a long while back.

Us DROD players by and large are not a twitchy bunch. So you may well appreciate the optional "Bard" character. If you select this character, the game changes to a DROD-like "monsters move after you move" mode. While you will not find puzzles to solve, there is a happy tactical challenge here similar to the slashfest rooms in KDD.

Necrodancer is very polished and a lot of fun to play. My least favorite aspect of Rogue-likes, inventory management, is handled effortlessly. The controls are equally simple with just four keys to press. Like DROD, the game relies on you mastering tactics. Grinding is almost impossible, although there are earnable power-ups that help you. The design is simple, clean, and engaging.

-Erik

02-05-2016 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
icon Re: Crypt of the Necrodancer. (0)  
And of course, Alex Diener has LP'ed lots of it.

Geek dancing.

02-05-2016 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Crypt of the Necrodancer. (+1)  
Man, Alex Diener gets around.

02-06-2016 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Connor
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Crypt of the Necrodancer. (+1)  
I'm a big fan of this game! In fact, I had the idea to make turn-based puzzles you play as Bard a while ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429377395

MAKIN' THE MONEY (just kidding about that last part)
07-16-2016 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Crypt of the Necrodancer. (0)  
Connor wrote:
I'm a big fan of this game! In fact, I had the idea to make turn-based puzzles you play as Ba
Very cool! Will check them out.

-Erik

07-30-2016 at 10:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Crypt of the Necrodancer. (With one little twist becomes very DROD-like.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com