Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
IP: Logged
icon Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East (0)  
I'll take a strategy or a spoiler.:(

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-03-2016 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East (+1)  
The only way I could get this room to work was with a wall of blades: Have two or three copies of yourself nonstop chopping back and forth before hitting the button to release the roaches, then do what you can to manage them. If you use the stick carefully you can push your wall of blades northward. Once you get the wall close enough you can go back in time once more, take a sword, and follow the wall until it's safe to go kill the queens. Or you can push one of your blades around to have it chop them up, either way.

I wasn't very good/efficient, so I had to use a few separate copies to get the wall all the way north, hitting tab to go back in time whenever I was just about to get one of my me's killed and on a couple of iterations switching back to a sword to do some cleanup.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-03-2016 03:11 PM]
02-03-2016 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
icon Re: Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East (0)  
Urgh... okay. Demo?

02-05-2016 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East (+1)  
Demos are going to be tricky until 5.1 is out of beta. If it helps, I'll tell you what I did.

I took a different approach, and didn't use the stick at all.

I stepped on the first time token and went to (19,18) with sword north, then when the doors went down, I advanced north and then moved southwest until I could safely turn my sword NE. Then I retreated south and then west, and ended the recording.

From here, my focus with subsequent time clones was just killing as many roaches as I could, eventually sneaking north to the queens. This actually only took five clones to do, but it would be hard to describe the rest of my strategy in detail. I'll try to give a general shape, though:

-Two go east of the first clone. Timeclone #2 waits at (25,18), goes north to meet the roaches, turns sword NE when it's safe to, and tries to head as far south and west as it can without getting killed, taking out as many roaches as possible in the process. Timeclone #3 waits at (33,18) and does the same thing, but mostly moves south.

-#4 waits at (18,18) - one west of the first timeclone. When the doors open, it moves west, only moving north when it starts drawing roaches away from #1. It then moves south, west when the roaches start thinning out, and south when it can't move west any more.

-#5 mainly just waits around, then gets generally northwest of #4 and takes care of some roaches that #4 didn't. After that it heads south to clear out as many others as it can.

-The next iteration does much the same as #5, sneaking northwest of it, killing a few roaches that go for it, and then making a run for the queens. I arrived just as they were laying eggs, so the timing was tight, but once I was there I was safe; the clones didn't kill all the roaches in the south, but they survived long enough to keep them down there and gave me a lot of time to clear out queens. By the time they came back up, I had a lot of space to retreat in order to better engage them.

I kind of stumbled onto this solution, honestly. But as there's no Mac 5.1 beta, providing a demo when I've already updated isn't easy.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 02-05-2016 08:19 AM]
02-05-2016 at 06:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented

File: XFH Fusion 1N2E Victory.demo (14.6 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East (0)  
Thanks, managed it.

Here's my 5.0 demo. It's pretty much a guide for how not to solve this room.

02-05-2016 at 07:39 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Xindaris' First Hold : Fusion : 1 North, 2 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com