Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Require playing room outside editor before room is approved for others
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
lepke1979
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
IP: Logged
icon Require playing room outside editor before room is approved for others (0)  
I was looking at that "Let architect choose allowed undo moves?" topic and this post kind of jumped out at me. Perhaps it's unnecessary, but was thinking something similar to how it is in Mario Maker (or whatever that game is called) could be beneficial.

You can make what seems like an impossible level, but you have to actually successfully play through it once outside of the editor before it can be uploaded for others to try out. The creator will still have the benefit of knowing where things are. But they'll actually have to complete it like a normal player too. Not to mention find out if things are tedious, a few more checkpoints would be nice, room can't be completed, etc.

EDIT: I created this as someone who has not created a room. If some sort of functionality like this already exists, then please disregard. Realized the post in question was made nearly a year ago, so things might be different now.

Jacob wrote: I understood mrimer's argument differently. Tar visibility is actually a good example of what I think he meant. An architect could make a horrible room, hiding stuff under tarstuff, and not realise how terrible it would actually be to play it outside of the editor. This discrepancy between the architect's experience of what they think the room will play out like (because they only tested it in the editor) and how it really does was overcome with the addition of visibility tokens and tar transparency.

Analogously, an architect may not provide enough checkpoints or may make a tedious and frustrating room (e.g. where it is easy to make a simple mistake that will require you to start over) and not realise this fact because they have only tested it in the editor with UU. This discrepancy would be overcome by making UU accessible to the player too.

[Last edited by lepke1979 at 02-01-2016 10:22 PM]
02-01-2016 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1530
icon Re: Require playing room outside editor before room is approved for others (0)  
As someone who's gone through the hold submission process and worked on lots of stuff (albeit nowhere near as much as most of the people with approved holds in this forum) I can assure you the vetting process here is actually much more rigorous than level-editor games that just require you to beat your own level in order to submit it. Specifically, not only do you have to beat your hold, but the Hold Administrators have to beat it and find no evidence of backtracking issues or other nasty sorts of things.

But fussing about tarstuff visibility and UU is pointless since in TSS a regular player has both of those things already.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-01-2016 10:30 PM]
02-01-2016 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lepke1979
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: Require playing room outside editor before room is approved for others (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
As someone who's gone through the hold submission process and worked on lots of stuff (albeit nowhere near as much as most of the people with approved holds in this forum) I can assure you the vetting process here is actually much more rigorous than level-editor games that just require you to beat your own level in order to submit it. Specifically, not only do you have to beat your hold, but the Hold Administrators have to beat it and find no evidence of backtracking issues or other nasty sorts of things.

But fussing about tarstuff visibility and UU is pointless since in TSS a regular player has both of those things already.

Ah OK, cool. Had an inkling it might be unnecessary, but sometimes you never know.
02-02-2016 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Require playing room outside editor before room is approved for others
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com