Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Slayer facing on oremites (It doesn't work like it does for everyone else)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Slayer facing on oremites (0)  
If Beethro, a Guard, a Soldier, or a Stalwart steps onto oremites with a metal weapon equipped, their facing changes to the direction they're moving on. When they step off of the oremites, their weapon points in the direction they stepped off.

When Slayers step on oremites, they retain their facing, and when they stop off of oremites, their weapon keeps pointing the way they were facing on the oremites.

This seems very strange; since nobody else keeps their facing when stepping on/off oremites even when it would be advantageous to, it feels like it must somehow be physically impossible to do so, which would mean Slayers defy "physics".

I'm not sure how many holds/rooms would be affected by trying to change this to be more consistent, but I thought I might at least point it out. I am sorry if someone else has already pointed this out; I didn't see it anywhere.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-27-2015 11:42 PM]
12-27-2015 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon Re: Slayer facing on oremites (+2)  
No, it's not physically impossible. The only weirdness is that, according to canon, Beethro puts his sword away on oremites because he knows oremites will eat it, so he puts it away as a deliberate choice -- which makes it weird that he can't put it away at other times. But for some reason, he just can't. So when he steps off oremites, he immediately takes his sword out, even if it goes straight into a bomb.

As you pointed out, the stepping-off part is the same for a Slayer -- he gets his hook back and remains facing the same direction. The part that's different for a Slayer is that he doesn't turn to face the way he steps, unlike Beethro, mimics, guards and stalwarts. However, why should he? We already know that the Slayer likes to keep facing the same direction when following the wisp, only turning for defensive (or offensive) purposes when close to his target, so it feels consistent.

A similar quirk of behaviour is that anything pushed across oremites stays facing the same way.

12-28-2015 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Slayer facing on oremites (It doesn't work like it does for everyone else)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com