Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Webfoot music bug... (...now on the Bugs board!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
IP: Logged
icon Webfoot music bug... (0)  
This is about a bug that for some reason, was posted on the Anything board. Anyway, here it is:

1. Download Lar's music.
2. Follow the directions for playing the Webfoot music in Caravel DROD.
3. All you get are two beeps each time the screen changes.

For some odd reason, after restoring to the Caravel tunes, the beeps are still heard, though the music does play. I tried using versions of the Webfoot music on a CD I have with Webfoot DROD on it, but it didn't make a difference.

Not a critical bug, but should probably be fixed in the next patch.

Thanks!

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT at Local Time:10-25-2004 at 05:07 AM: Word Additions]

[Edited by NoahT at Local Time:10-25-2004 at 05:08 AM: Word Transposition]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-25-2004 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
icon Re: Webfoot music bug... (0)  
This is getting a little low, so I'm bumping it.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-01-2004 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I installed the Webfoot music at one point and didn't have a problem with it. If you want, I can try re-installing it and see if I can get it to work on mine again. I suspect that the DROD.INI file got changed around as that's the only real reason those beeps should occur (Mismatched files/locations).

11-01-2004 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Reinstalling sounds like a plan, but the problem is I'm not sure how to save my progress on the holds if I do so. I can just export my player and all the holds themselves into their own folder, but I don't want to lose progress in any holds, especially Dugan's.

On second thought, maybe all I need to know is how to restore the DROD.INI file back to normal, but then there are always other reasons for saving progress into a place where it won't be erased.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-04-2004 at 12:21 AM
gamer_extreme_101
By "reinstalling" I meant that I would try installing the music in my DROD installation again, not reinstall the program. Sorry 'bout that.

11-04-2004 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
And how exactly would I re-install the music?

-Noah

My stuff:

11-06-2004 at 02:08 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Find a copy of the Caravel DROD music and default DROD.INI file, reinstall it, make sure it works, and then try installing the Webfoot tunes.

11-06-2004 at 09:23 PM
NoahT
Hmm...I tried just putting the Webfoot tunes into the sound file and now they're working, but not all the time. Once in a while there will just be a beep, and the tune won't play. And I should of mentioned this before, but a few other sounds were messed up when I first tried putting in the Webfoot music. One is the "Exit Level" tune. After setting it back to the Caravel music after the first try at changing it, the "Exit Level" tune no longer played the three long notes at the beginning. Also, evil eyes no longer made a noise when woken. Have any idea what this is about?

-Noah

My stuff:

11-23-2004 at 11:44 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Hmmm...I've had to fiddle with adding in midis into DROD, and have experienced those beeps when the filenames were extremly long. To take DRODIS as an example, the files originally were named "bjorn_lynne_Song Title Here, and that would cause random beeping instead of playing the music. When I shortened them, they worked fine, and I never had a problem since. If the program is making beeps, could you send me the DROD.err file for me to take a small look. If I remember, I'll also try to set up the Webfoot music on a fresh install later today.

11-24-2004 at 12:17 AM
NoahT
The funny thing is, the filenames for the music are pretty short. And another thing that is bugging me is that my computer has the versions of the tunes being used for a copy of Webfoot DROD itself, but when I try to enter these into the music file, they won't play at all. And the filenames are no different in length from the filenames of the tunes' downloadable versions. I also noticed that the downloadable set of the tunes doesn't appear to have the tune "sermon" in it, the tune said to be for the credits. Anything you can say about this?

-Noah

My stuff:

11-25-2004 at 09:13 AM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: Webfoot music bug... (+1)  
{disclaimer] This is another largely pointless post. {/disclaimer]

NoahT wrote:
Also, evil eyes no longer made a noise when woken. Have any idea what this is about?

-Noah

I remember being very surprised the first time I heard the evil eye "noise". This was probably after I had upgraded to the Architect's Edition. I had never heard any noise in webfoot or in Caravel 1.5. Are you sure there is supposed to be a sound in the webfoot music file?

"Until it ends, there is no end."
11-26-2004 at 09:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
I can't see why changing the music in AE should remove sounds that aren't supposed to be replaced. I think it must be related to the other problems I'm having with the music, since I lost the sound after I first tried putting in the music.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-27-2004 at 03:21 AM
gamer_extreme_101
NoahT wrote:
I can't see why changing the music in AE should remove sounds that aren't supposed to be replaced.
It shouldn't...I'm thinking that your drod.ini file might be corrupted, especially since the sounds are stored in a different folder. Here's what...I'm going to make a new install of DROD and fire it up with the new music right now and see if I have any problems with it.

11-27-2004 at 02:38 PM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Okay. It appears that the drod.ini file that came with the webfoot midi files is defective. Add "EvilEyeWoke=hmm.wav" to your drod.ini file if it is not there.

There may be other differences as variables such as "DoorOpen" and "Complete" are in different places in the two drod.ini files I have.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
11-27-2004 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: drod.ini (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 80 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Webfoot music bug... (+1)  
I just installed it, and I had no major problems with it, except for a couple of times where it wouldn't load the music, which seems to happen with most .mid files in DROD. Bdwing was right about the EvilEye thing, so I edited the file and posted it here. Other than that, I found no problem with the music, leaving me to think that your installation may be corrupted.

11-27-2004 at 05:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Webfoot music bug... (...now on the Bugs board!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com