Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : war22 : war22 : 1 North, 1 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon war22 : war22 : 1 North, 1 West (+1)  
This is one of my last two rooms in this hold and I've been beating my head against a wall for months now. I've tried all sorts of different strategies, but nothing seems get me any further than getting halfway there and stuck because I have too few mimics in useful places and there are too many queens.

What's a good strategy to use here? I have no idea how to give hints for a hold like this, but would appreciate any kind of help getting started or having a general plan of attack.

12-16-2015 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405
icon Re: war22 : war22 : 1 North, 1 West (+2)  
Well, if you've tried this room then you're aware that there is no way to kill enough queens before a huge number of roaches spawns.

You're also probably aware that you need to use at least one mimic to help your shield yourself against the onslaught. This will in all likelihood require you to do a whole lot of the old QWQW sword swinging.

The problem is that once you're forced to keep swinging your sword just to survive there really isn't that much you can do to actually attack the source of your problems: those nasty queens.

Because of this you need to position at least one mimic so that it can considerably thin out the number of spawned roaches by just standing there and swinging its sword in a way that forces a large amount of the queens to run into its swinging area.

Of course, this is probably exactly what you've been trying, too. The hard part is setting all of this up in a way that allows you to thin out the queens so much so that you're able to then move out of your safe position for a bit, causing your mimics to advance and kill even more queens.

Personally, I chose to use the Seeding Beacon as a bit of additional cover and focus my queen-slaying efforts on the southern queens first, slowly getting rid of all of them except for the ones in the northernmost row and the ones at the very west, north of the green door. From there on the clean-up is easy. Judging from the move count of my demo this was far from the most efficient strategy, however.

Edit: as you might imagine my demo for this room is a HUGE mess, but I can still post it if there is any need for it. Sadly these kinds of rooms are absolutely horrible to give good directions for.

[Last edited by Aquator at 12-16-2015 10:04 PM]
12-16-2015 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: war22 : war22 : 1 North, 1 West (+1)  
Yay! I finally got it thanks to your post. Thank you!

12-20-2015 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : war22 : war22 : 1 North, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com