Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Lemmings in Custom Holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon Lemmings in Custom Holds (+2)  
I had an idea for a room that requires a monster to move a platform. The only enemy I can think of that does this is the lemming, but I was surprised to see that these are not available to work with in the editor. Are they a scripted enemy in-game?

I was able to exactly replicate the lemming behaviour I needed through creating custom monsters, but I figured it would make more sense to use the lemming graphic than to use another monster or a custom asset. The lemming would be more familiar to other DROD players, and thus wouldn't require any explanation for the effect I am trying to achieve.

Is there a way for me to use lemmings in my own hold? Is there a reason that this enemy type is unavailable?

If I can't use lemmings directly, it would be nice to know a script command to change the name of the enemy so that they don't get labelled as 'citizen' when the player clicks on them.

Finally, although I don't need it, I assume that the temporal aumtlich is in the same boat as the lemming: a scripted enemy that is unavailable for use. This was one of my favourite enemies in Second Sky, and it would be nice to have as an option for the future.

12-01-2015 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Lemmings in Custom Holds (+1)  
All the scripted elements in TSS are in a hold on the downloads page. This does include elements that could be minor spoilers for late-game bonus levels, so be aware of that.

12-01-2015 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Lemmings in Custom Holds (+2)  
Here is the topic with the TSS Custom Elements pack. Everything in it is free to use, provided you have the TSS full version.

For the record, to change the name of a monster that appears on right-clicking, place a character or edit an existing one, then click "Characters" in the top-right of the script editing window, then enter a name in the box at the top and click "Add character". This has the advantage that you can enter the lemming's script as a default script, making it easy to place multiple lemmings all with the same script. It's also useful for when you want to name NPCs in your storyline.

It has been noted that temporal aumtlich currently do not work well with certain elements, such as decoys and temporal splits. This isn't a problem in TSS itself, as those elements are avoided in the temporal aumtlich level. For usermade holds, the upcoming 5.1 version will have new scripting commands that allow temporal aumtlich to behave as expected with other elements. We (the team working on the Entry Point project) will rescript the temporal aumtlich for inclusion in our hold, and we will make the script available for anyone to use.

12-01-2015 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Wow, thank you both for quick and helpful replies.

Since the lemming graphics would be purely cosmetic at this point, I'll hold off on that until I finish Second Sky. Should be soon, since I already got the bad ending and unlocked most of the collectables. Thanks for the warning regarding possible spoilers.

With the temporal aumtlich, I guess the problem is that it doesn't split when equidistant from two separate targets?

I had a small image here, but I guess new members can't post them. Fair enough. The idea was an aumtlich with a soldier two tiles to the N, S, E, and W. In this situation I would expect the aumtlich to split into 4 enemies to attack all the soldiers simultaneously.

A temporal aumtlich and soldier melee would be pretty chaotic.

12-02-2015 at 12:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
The Temporal Aumtlich problem is even worse than that. They don't follow anyone other than Beethro at all. The scripting always has them moving towards Beethro, so they will completely ignore decoys, time clones, stalwarts, soldiers, etc. So unfortunately the idea of having one split and take on a soldier army won't work with the current scripting. The next engine update should include some scripting commands that will allow us to easily fix this in the scripting though.

For reference:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39323

12-02-2015 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
However, our plans (for Entry Point) are to fix the temporal aumtlich so that:

* It chooses its target using the same rules as other monsters (choosing the nearer of Beethro / stalwart / soldier / temporal projection; being attracted to a decoy within 5 spaces; not moving at all if the player is invisible or stealthed and there is no other target).
* It splits if its preferred move is blocked and both adjacent moves are open, unless the preferred move is blocked by a sword. (In TSS, it splits unless blocked by Beethro's sword, but other swords are treated the same as walls.)

So, no plans to make it split when equidistant from targets. Though you could rescript that yourself (or ask someone to help you with it) if you want to make such a variant.

12-02-2015 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Lemmings in Custom Holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com