Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Variations--a collaborative hold idea
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
IP: Logged

File: Variations Sample.hold (797 bytes)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Variations--a collaborative hold idea (+2)  
So, I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for awhile on a possible collaborative hold similar to Pass the Hold Around, but with different rules.

The basic idea is that each architect makes a room, and then a different variation of the room that each other architect made. In more detail, it would work something like this:

Click here to view the secret text

The end result would be a hold with the title "Variations on..." and each level is a phrase like "Solving a Maze," "Digging Your Grave," "Baiting a Brain," etc.

Is anyone interested in playing?

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-31-2015 02:49 PM]
10-31-2015 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Variations--a collaborative hold idea (0)  
That sounds like a fun way to do a "passing" idea while also adding some structure and easy navigability to the hold. Sign me up, I'm interested.

10-31-2015 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Why not.

10-31-2015 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I'm in too.
10-31-2015 at 10:18 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Put me down as well please.

11-01-2015 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Variations--a collaborative hold idea (+1)  
All right, awesome! Already six people want to do it. I'll wait slightly longer for signups (as it has only been a day so far) and then come up with a player profile for everyone to edit from (I'm thinking of naming it "Various Architects"), make a thread in architecture and start.

Meantime, there are a few potential rule clarifications I've thought of:
-While in the process of editing, put your original level in a hold called "[Username]'s Variations Level" or something like that; as far as I recall a level can be copy-pasted into a hold, and that's the plan for making the final, singular "Variations On.." hold. Having a different hold for each level will help keep the work on different levels separate as it needs to be for everything to work.
-Scripted characters are OK as long as they're fairly simple to understand from an external standpoint (e.g., the rock things from the Tower of Din might have complicated code (I haven't seen it to know) but their behavior as "monsters" is consistent and intuitive from the player's standpoint) and you include an explanation for other architects so they know what exactly the character does.
-Leave a single room adjacent to the original version of the level's room unused; this is where the entrance/exit stairs of the level will be put.
-When uploading the current version of the level you're working on, upload it in a zip along with a demo so whoever's varying it knows how to complete it. Possibly go through a cycle of importing all previous demos and exporting them all into a "[this level].demo" for the next zip? The point is for whoever's varying your room to know how the original solution went so they can be sure their puzzle isn't too much like yours, and possibly give them a better intuition for what changes their differences from your room might necessitate to keep it solvable.

Are these OK? If everyone wants to make the rule "No scripted characters" instead I don't mind at all.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-01-2015 03:37 PM]
11-01-2015 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I need an excuse to play more Drod while still avoiding any old commitments, so sure, I'll join or whatever.

11-01-2015 at 04:40 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
blorx1 wrote:
I need an excuse to play more Drod while still avoiding any old commitments, so sure, I'll join or whatever.

Same here

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-01-2015 at 05:36 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Variations--a collaborative hold idea (+1)  
Okay, I made a thread in thread in Architecture so we can get started!

11-04-2015 at 03:31 PM
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
Still got room for me?

11-05-2015 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Sure, I'll add you as #9 since not even all the initial rooms are done yet.

11-05-2015 at 04:43 AM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
I may not be the best architect, and I may be a little late, but I also would like to join in this interesting project.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
11-05-2015 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Alright, cool. Go to the thread in Architecture linked above for more details.

11-05-2015 at 02:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Variations--a collaborative hold idea
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com