Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Endless Puzzles? (Our contest for October)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: October Contest.hold (879 bytes)
Downloaded 79 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Endless Puzzles? (+14)  

Let’s Play Endless Haunted Rube Goldberg Puzzles of Deathly Gifs!

Or something of that nature. So if you haven’t been following along, the question was posed to the DROD community: “What contest would you like to see for October.” Well the community has spoken. It was mostly incoherent ramblings about skell’s face, lectures on how to conjugate in Latin, and somewhat bizarre commentary on the state of Dr. Who. But in the midst of all that two contest ideas have surfaced as the clear favorites for this month: Endless Puzzles and Rube Goldberg Rooms. Since the second one is really just a special case of the first one, the contest for October will officially be Endless Puzzles?, but one of the possible room demos will be one in which the room solves itself. So here’s how it’s going to work.

Endless Puzzles?

The idea:
Attached to this thread is a hold. That hold has four empty rooms. Attached to the next post (because I can’t attach two things to the same post and can’t be bothered to put them into a zip file.) is a set of Demos for each of the four rooms. Your task is to fill in the space in at least one of those four rooms so that the demo solves the room. The goal is to make the demo both necessary and sufficient for solving the room. You ideally couldn’t solve the room in fewer turns (though there is some flexibility here), and the demo absolutely must be a victory demo. Another way to think about it is that to an outsider looking at the room and the demo, it should look as though the room was designed first.

I’m also going to attach the player file I used to create the empty template. Feel free to build your rooms using this so that you can test the demos more easily in them. You are also welcome to completely ignore this player file and just build your entries using your own player file. As long as the demo solves the room properly it shouldn’t matter. Schik will work some magic and somehow the demos will work on your hold. (go Schik!)

One last thing to keep in mind: unlike other architecture contests, you won’t be voting based on difficulty since everyone will know the solutions. Instead, you should try to build your room under the assumption that people will vote on it based on how interesting and creative it is given the constraints. Making it so that the victory demo is necessary to solve the room (i.e. there aren’t any wasted moves) is a good idea. Making it so the victory demo actually DOES solve the room is essential, and any room that can’t be solved by the demo will most likely be disqualified.

The rooms:
1N: This is the Rube Goldberg Room. If you don’t recognize that name, perhaps you should look it up for inspiration. The demo consists of entering the room and waiting for 150 turns or so. In other words, you just stand there, the room elements and monsters go through some elaborate contortions, and the room solves itself. Scripted characters should be avoided for this one.
1E: This demo is me solving a relatively simple room of my own in a somewhat roundabout way. There is an actual room that this is based on but it is in an as yet unpublished hold.
1W: Does this seem familiar? Check back here after the submission deadline to see where this demo came from. Bonus points for anyone who can actually tell me what it is.* KDD L15 1S,2W
1S: And here’s a demo of the player just running around in circles for a bit with the occasional jiggle. Notice I said player and not Beethro. If you want to have another player role have at it! This demo was not based on an actual room. I just winged it.

The rules:
1) Download the hold attached to this post.
2) Download the demos attached to the next post.
3) Design a "puzzle" for one of the four cardinal direction rooms (not the entrance). The room must be in an unsolved state (i.e. red on the minimap) and solvable using the demo for that room. You can elect to build something in only one of the rooms, do all four, or anything in between.**
4) Nothing in the entrance will be preserved for the compilation, so don't bother with it.
5) A maximum of 3 entries per person. That means you can submit up to three entries for each room.
6) All submissions must be compatible with version 5.0.1.6060 You fancy shmancy testers for 5.1 please be careful with this.
7) No custom media please.***
8) Submissions will be due by Local Time:11-02-2015 at 12:00 PM meaning you have negative 441 weeks, 3 days left to submit. There's been an extension to the deadline. Entries will now be due by Local Time:11-07-2015 at 11:00 PM meaning you have negative 440 weeks, 4 days left to submit. Please post submissions to the submissions thread

The Prizes:
Schik has doffed his hat and made this contest official, so all the usual goodies are up for grabs.

First place receives 100 rank points and a prize from the Prize Pile.
Second place receives 50 rank points.
Third place receives 25 rank points.
Anyone who has not entered an official contest before receives 10 rank points.

* Note: Bonus points can not be exchanged for anything tangible and will not count towards voting or rating of the submissions.
** Please try to stick with whole numbers.
*** Except of course custom images of Skell's face.

[Last edited by skell at 11-02-2015 10:34 PM]
10-15-2015 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: October Contest.demo (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 79 times.
icon Re: Endless Puzzles? (0)  
Here are the demos.

10-15-2015 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: October Contest.player (4 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
And here's the player file used to create both the hold and the demos in case anyone wants it.

10-15-2015 at 08:37 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Endless Puzzles? (+5)  
If you go to http://forum.caravelgames.com/october2015.php you can upload your hold, and it will in return download a set of demos that will work in your hold.

This is pretty minimally tested! It worked with my test hold. If you make a hold that isn't TSS, or doesn't have one level with the exact rooms required for this contest, I don't know what will happen.

10-16-2015 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KingCookie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
I have the hold and the demos downloaded but i cant seem to figure out how i actually watch the demo. Anyone mind explaining this feature to me?
10-23-2015 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Press F6, either in the editor or in-game.
10-24-2015 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
icon Re: Endless Puzzles? (+1)  
Just a reminder: There's less than a week to go before the contest submission deadline. Remember, you don't have to submit something for all four demos. If you want to you can just submit one room. If you've never participated in an architecture contest before or if you usually avoid such contests due to the time it takes to think up puzzle rooms, then take a look at 1N. The demo for this room is about 150 rooms of just waiting. So you don't even really need to come up with a puzzle for this one! Just find an interesting way to have a bunch of monsters kill themselves in about 150 moves. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

10-26-2015 at 02:08 PM
Insoluble
Okay, so maybe two weeks was a little short for an architecture contest, sorry! A couple of people have asked for an extension so let's push the deadline back to next weekend. Entries will now be due by Local Time:11-07-2015 at 11:00 PM meaning you have negative 440 weeks, 4 days

Anyone who has already submitted an entry can go back and fine tune it. HINT: a couple of entries DON'T actually satisfy the required demo for the room, so please go back and make sure that yours does. In the interest of fairness I'm not going to individually contact those of you who may need to make revisions unless the community/moderators think I should. So take this as a general recommendation to test out your submission with the demo (or the demo obtained from Schik's nifty converter thingy).

11-02-2015 at 02:01 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Actually, a question. Does the room have to make it to the end of the demo? In a room I was working on but haven't finished yet, Beethro leaves early because some of the turns move him into obstacles and alter his path. Just want to clarify if I should make sure he leaves on the last move of the demo.
11-02-2015 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
I logged in intending to mention how much I enjoyed this contests' challenge to reverse-engineer rooms, and also to comment on how much easier it is to break your own room by making a small change than it seems to be when making rooms the "usual" way, only to find the deadline extended! I most definitely appreciate the extension as I ran out of time on a couple of ideas. Awesome, thanks!

imo, entrants do not need to be informed of their invalid entries; we all just got a 5-day grace period...
11-02-2015 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
It's best if entries remain anonymous until voting is complete. For some reason that didn't happen in a recent contest.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-02-2015 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Actually, a question. Does the room have to make it to the end of the demo? In a room I was working on but haven't finished yet, Beethro leaves early because some of the turns move him into obstacles and alter his path. Just want to clarify if I should make sure he leaves on the last move of the demo.
Hmm, this is an interesting question and I did not specify in the rules. I would like to specify that the room should not inhibit the demo in any way (i.e. an input move N in the demo turns into a bump due to an obstacle). But since the contest is well underway I don't really feel that it's fair to retroactively enforce that. Let's just say that the spirit of the contest is that your room should allow the demo to freely run all the way through to the end, but I won't be disqualifying any entries since I'm only getting around to specifying this at the last minute. Hopefully that answers your question.
LeoS wrote:
I logged in intending to mention how much I enjoyed this contests' challenge to reverse-engineer rooms, and also to comment on how much easier it is to break your own room by making a small change than it seems to be when making rooms the "usual" way, only to find the deadline extended! I most definitely appreciate the extension as I ran out of time on a couple of ideas. Awesome, thanks!

imo, entrants do not need to be informed of their invalid entries; we all just got a 5-day grace period...
:thumbsup
disoriented wrote:
It's best if entries remain anonymous until voting is complete. For some reason that didn't happen in a recent contest.

Yep. When the results are posted they will be 100% anonymous. I do not intend to release any information about who has entered until the voting is complete.

11-02-2015 at 07:31 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734

File: EndlessPuzzles.jpg (79 KB)
Downloaded 504 times.
[Post used to attach image used in the thread starter]

11-02-2015 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
I spent 50 minutes yesterday making an entry for this contest. And if I can find time to do it I am more than sure whoever is reading this right now can also spare an hour :).

11-03-2015 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Just one last reminder to everyone: Submissions are due in about half a day. If you want to make some final revisions to your hold feel free to re-upload to the submissions thread. Everything on there will be downloaded one last time after the deadline so only the most recent version of each hold will be used. And good luck to all!

11-07-2015 at 01:11 PM
Insoluble
And times up. Thanks for all the submissions folks! We have some terrific entries. I'll be posting a compilation and voting thread in the next 24 hours, so stay tuned!

Edit: Uhh, did I say 24 hours? Well, I wasn't too far off at any rate. The voting thread is up and can be found here

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” --Douglass Adams.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 11-09-2015 08:19 AM]
11-08-2015 at 01:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Endless Puzzles? (Our contest for October)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com