Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : What contest would you like to see? (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Rube Goldberg Rooms
Please select a rating:
Endless Puzzles?:
Please select a rating:
Haunted Hold:
Please select a rating:
DROD Themed Gif:
Please select a rating:
Let's Play contest:
Please select a rating:
DROD horror stories:
Please select a rating:
Other idea (please post about it below)
Please select a rating:
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon What contest would you like to see? (+2)  
Okay, time for a contest! A lot of great ideas have been kicked around for contests as of late, so I'm going to post a poll to see what catches people's interest. Here's a better description of the ideas mentioned above. Vote on a scale of 1 to 10 how interested you'd be in each of these. Vote based on how much you'd like for that contest to run, not necessarily how likely you would be to participate in it (Though I'm also going to assume that if you vote 10 you are probably planning to participate in the contest if it runs.) Fell free to ask for clarification about any of these or to claim credit for your contest idea if I forgot to credit you. Also feel free to suggest additional ideas.

Architecture contests:

Rube Goldberg Rooms: Create a room which pretty much solves itself without having to make any specific moves. The monsters and elements should ideally exhibit all sorts of crazy interactions that ultimately result in their annihilation while Beethro stands by to watch. Idea from uncopy2002 in chat.

Endless Puzzles?: Given a prerecorded demo in an otherwise empty room, construct a non-trivial room that the demo clears. Ideally the demo should be both necessary (i.e. you can't solve it in fewer moves) and sufficient for solving the room. Based on Dischorran's post here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=40131&page=0#399000

Haunted Hold: This one's simple. Create a Halloween themed hold or possible a hold with some sort of jump scare. This one was also proposed by someone in chat, but I forget who, I'm sorry!

Non-architecture contests:

DROD Themed Gif: Proposed by skell in chat, so he could probably elaborate more on this. The idea is to use free gif editors to create a DROD themed gif using pictures from the game/ of skell's face etc. Bonus points for Haloween themed DROD gifs.

Let's Play contest: This was proposed by someone in chat and again I can't remember who. This would be a contest to create a "Lets Play" of a short hold or room and vote on the best LP. Given the technical requirements, the end date for the contest could probably be pushed back until November.

DROD horror stories: Another writing contest! Write an awesome DROD related scary story and win prizes. Sorry again for forgetting who originally proposed this. Suggested by Dragon Fogel in chat.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 10-09-2015 01:17 AM]
10-08-2015 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: What contest would you like to see? (0)  
We could potentially have a double contest--have some sort of architecture enforced contest, and then next month have a Let's Play of all of those rooms.

10-08-2015 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Lots of good options there.
Or the contest could be to come up with the best contest!
10-08-2015 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: What contest would you like to see? (+1)  
I for one would love to see a "Use custom elements" contest, where everyone has to go find a (or rather, at least one) custom element someone else made and use it as a key part of their room. But I'm not sure there exist that many such elements? I know someone made multi-step and directional trapdoors a while back, though, so at least a few certainly exist.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-08-2015 05:14 PM]
10-08-2015 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Rube Goldberg idea is cool. I remember someone made a hold (on architecture?) like that, which inspired me to use the idea in a couple of rooms in one on my holds, but a contest based on this would be interesting.

Can anyone remind me who made that original hold?

LP idea is also great, but not sure how many will have the technical capability (not me certainly).

10-08-2015 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
How about a contest where you take things off the "bad" whiteboard in the TSS exit screen, make them real, and beat the odds and make them good. (For instance, give photagraphic evidence that you posess "a questionably obtained box of kittens")

10-08-2015 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
Whatever happened to that "write a story, then in a future contest people have to build a hold out of it" thing? I was totally looking forward to that! :weep

10-10-2015 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
DimWiddy wrote:
Whatever happened to that "write a story, then in a future contest people have to build a hold out of it" thing? I was totally looking forward to that! :weep

I was looking forward to that one too. I don't want to run that contest though since it was Gamer Extreme's idea and I'd rather let him have first dibs at it when the irresistible siren's call of DROD eventually lures him back in. We know you'll be back Gamer! NO ONE CAN RESIST!

On a side note, it looks like the top two choices are pretty close. I'll probably wait until oh, say Local Time:10-14-2015 at 01:00 PM, then post a contest based on whatever idea comes out on top.

UPDATE: It looks like the first two options were the most popular and were fairly equally well liked, so I'm going to post a contest that combines both ideas later today.

UPDATE: Well it's still later today in some time zones! The contest has finally been posted. Sorry for the delay.
contest thread

[Last edited by Insoluble at 10-15-2015 08:45 AM]
10-10-2015 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : What contest would you like to see? (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com