Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about the "Restore" screen (Clueless newbie trying to understand Restoring)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BaseCase
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Question about the "Restore" screen (+1)  
Hi, DROD forums! I've just made my way through the main part of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, my very first exposure to this wonderful series. I'm totally hooked and plan to play much more of it :) I have what I am sure is a really stupid question, if you'll indulge my ignorance for a moment.

My question is about trying to go back and find 100% of the secrets. I don't think I really understand what I'm seeing on the Restore screen... If I look at this screen and find a level with, e.g. 1/3 secrets discovered, I can restore that level, find all 3/3 secrets, and go back to the menu.

So far all seems fine. The Restore screen now says 3/3 secrets discovered on that level. My confusion happens when I repeat this process with *another* level. It seems that sometimes my secret completion gets reset? So the aforementioned 3/3 completed secrets looks like it gets reverted to 1/3. But this doesn't happen all the time.

I did read the help page on Restore, and I'm sure it explains what I'm seeing perfectly, but I remain confused. Can someone clarify this for me?
10-02-2015 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Question about the "Restore" screen (+1)  
:hi

That.. should never happen. The status of secrets is permanent, so the number should never decrease by restoring.

Are you sure you are remembering correctly, and not looking at a different level? Eg, do you have a victory demo saved for the secret room you thought you completed?

[Last edited by TripleM at 10-02-2015 10:47 PM]
10-02-2015 at 10:45 PM
BaseCase

File: secrets.png (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
TripleM wrote:
:hi

That.. should never happen. The status of secrets is permanent, so the number should never decrease by restoring.

Are you sure you are remembering correctly, and not looking at a different level? Eg, do you have a victory demo saved for the secret room you thought you completed?

Oh, hmm this is interesting. I wonder if I'm seeing some quirk of the cloud sync system. I'm playing on a couple of different computers; one of them appears to have the correct secrets info and the other is wrong. Weird!

As an example, I'll attach a picture containing a screenshot of the restore screen on two different computers (both pointing at the same cloud synced player file) as well as a shot from my high scores page in the browser.

Do you think this might be a bug? If so, I'll close this thread and open one in the bugs subforum :)

10-02-2015 at 11:15 PM
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
Yep, that sounds like a bug.

This is probably a good place to start - I expect you're already using a version later than when this was meant to be fixed though.

[Last edited by TripleM at 10-02-2015 11:26 PM]
10-02-2015 at 11:25 PM
BaseCase
icon Re: Question about the "Restore" screen (0)  
Cool, I'll read through that thread and see where my issue fits in. Thank you! Looking forward to 100%-ing this game :D

10-02-2015 at 11:32 PM
JamesBond007
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43
A tip for you. Restoring a game from that screen is not always a good idea, because you will also lose progress (story-wise). However, this doesn't matter if you want to access areas behind the Master Walls. To avoid losing progress in that case, travel to your destination manually (this isn't possible in all holds, but it is possible in GatEB).
10-03-2015 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about the "Restore" screen (Clueless newbie trying to understand Restoring)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com