Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (Demo available!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+10)  
Hello Guys, long time no see ya. :)

Here it is:

Wonderquest Survival RPG, the the story of 10 people who have their lives suddenly interrupted,
waking up in a strange forest with just their clothes and a vague memory of their past.
Fight monsters, survive the wilderness, evolve your abilities, Collect powerful Relics.

Survival is now nothing less than a required talent, an aspect of your daily routine...

Will these people go back to their lives, their families, their world?
It's all in your hands...

Genre: 2D RPG/Stepping/Turn-based/Puzzle/Strategy.

WQ will be soon on Steam Greenlight and indiegogo looking for funding partners.

I'll get back to you guys in a few days with a playable demo.

For now, a few Screenshots:

[Last edited by googa at 03-17-2016 04:07 AM]
08-26-2015 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+3)  
I have tried the first six levels of it, and it is absolutely brilliant! Everyone liking DROD should give this a try. It's a lot like DROD, and yet very fresh and unique. No more one hit, and you die. No unchanging weapon. And a lot of abilities you have to upgrade.

Every level is a meta-puzzle, where you have to evaluate what upgrades you need in order to solve a certain puzzle area, which in turn decides what to do first, and what to do last. To me the meta-puzzle is every bit as fun as the area-puzzles.
08-28-2015 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+1)  
Hello. I'm looking for 5 testers, anyone who can provide a nice feedback is welcome. Just send me a PM for the link.
09-06-2015 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+2)  
Just wanted to mention I'm not volunteering to test (taking care of new baby) but I thought Wonderquest was superb and I'm excited to try this when it comes out.
09-06-2015 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373

File: font.png (4.7 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
I've played through about 3.5 levels, and am loving it. I'm sure all other DROD fans will agree once they've had a look as well.

I've just come across the first room where the lack of one-hit-kills makes a difference (you don't die unless you've been attacked a certain number of times), and boy, that's going to add so much puzzle potential by itself.

Posting some feedback here as requested - secreted these just to save space. These are generally noted in the order I found them, though I combined a few similar ones afterwards.

Click here to view the secret text

Will be back once I've tried some more of the levels..

[Last edited by TripleM at 09-09-2015 01:44 AM]
09-07-2015 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373

File: error.jpg (39.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
Have now completed all 7 levels of the demo. Wow, level 7 was intense (but in a good way). This is an awesome game; I can't wait to play more.

More comments:

[Last edited by TripleM at 09-11-2015 02:37 AM]
09-09-2015 at 01:42 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+4)  
Ok, so I have completed all 7 levels now.

Comments:

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-24-2015 06:57 PM]
09-24-2015 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (0)  
So, was this game released or anything? Because I'd like to give it a spin :).

01-20-2016 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jwilliams
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I have the same question as previous member- was it released? Because I like similar games, and this one should be very interesting.
02-03-2016 at 03:02 PM
googa
Skell an jwillians , Sorry for the delay, I haven't checked the forums for a while. A new version will be released soon. And I'll contact you guys when things are all set.
02-19-2016 at 02:32 AM
googa
Hello Guys.

I just want to say that a new technology/Feature has been developed in WQ RPG and it is already fully implemented and tested.

Hope I'm not promising too much, but as a consequence, I could affirm that this has potential to change the way people play steeping games forever.

Furthermore, an important technological leap can be expected in the area in the coming months.

Stay tuned.
02-19-2016 at 02:33 AM
Blondbeard
Wonderful news!

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-19-2016 06:27 AM]
02-19-2016 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
This sounds very interesting. Can you share some more information about what you are planning, or is it supposed to be a secret?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-19-2016 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+6)  
Hello, people!

first of all, I would like to talk a little bit about the first Wonderquest game:

The original WQ game was a "passionate" game in contrast to WQ RPG wich is much more technical.
By accident, too many mistakes were made in the first WQ.

First of all, It was not planned.

WQ was at a first stage an experiment. I wanted to create like a sandbox stepping game were players
could use a scripting language to create their own monsters and heroes.

As the complexity became a problem, I gave up the sandbox idea to at least try to reuse the code in a game. That's how WQ 1 was born... Pure accident.
For example, Elementals were like the child of that sandbox idea, since they were already implemented I decided to use them in the game.
(The first idea for elementals was to mimic the active hero in the game). Too much complex, you guys can imagine.
Imagine a boomerang hero plus 10 elementals. we would have 11 boomerangs in the scene. Too much bugs...

Fluffies were the first monster created by the sandbox engine. (At that time I didn't even know DROD had a passive monster)
They were created at the same Time, I guess. Telepathy maybe :)
Butterflies were just a standard monster with new target movement coordinates specified by that scripting language...

So, besides the massive new amount of content, in the end, the biggest problem with WQ1 was that it became too similar to DROD.
This has been like a "sin" that corrupted lot's of other virtues possessed by the game. And I didn't even bother tried to hide it, you guys see... (I could have used an alien instead of a roach, etc).

I'm just writing this text to justify that every similarity can be explained.
Much more can be said to explain the weirdness and amateurism of WQ 1. But maybe another time...

In the end, WQ became like a thrash movie, a B-side game, due to all these issues.

As said before, WQ RPG is much technical than the first game.
Up to this point, It has detached itself from DROD almost completely,
I could say that comparison makes no sense anymore...
(Lots of features, some of them not available in the demo can sustain that)
WQ 2 is a completely independent game at this stage.
( and that's the path WQ will be following from this version on, to reach a state of complete independency)

By any means, finalizing the topic, a big thank you to DROD will always echo in that atmosphere.
Thanks DROD for being a great game, and also, thanks for inspiring WQ 1.

And now a little bit about Wonderquest Survival RPG:

One person Asked me: Why are you using the word "survival" since Steam seems to be flooded with games about the subject.
My answer, (and you guys correct me if I'm wrong) I could say the first WQ was like the "Father" of all survival games.
I don't recall to have seen any other similar theme used in a game at that time.
Back there in 2004, reality shows were starting to boom, that's how I got the inspiration to make a game using the same theme.

As promised before, the new feature: Wonderquest Touch engine. The Holly Grail has been found!

As simple as it can be, if we take small custom sized areas, add to it AI movement and a swipe rotation routine plus some extra small ideas, we end up with Wonderquest Touch engine.

From now on stepping games will be played using not 5 or more fingers, But JUST ONE FINGER.

It can even be played with the mouse!

And more: I'm happy to announce that WQ will be available on kongregate.com, Steam, PC Full HD, mac, iPhone, Android, and any touch device supported by the engine.

And EVEN, EVEN BETTER! No cold hand Graphics! :) Most of the art were done by myself.

Introducing: Wonderquest Survival RPG!

Feel the power of float numbers!

Demo link for the Android version here.

Kongregate version (not yet published) here.

(Hint for veterans: Don't be afraid to play it since it is already very close to the final version.
Not much will be added from now on on the demo ).

The IndieGoGo Campaign will be launched in a week.
A contribution will grant you the Full HD version to play.

Some question for testers:

Have fun, and thanks for the positive energy!

03-17-2016 at 04:06 AM
skell
Some random unstructured comments about the Android version of the game because I don't really feel like going deep into game design analysis. For a note, I got as far as fifth level:

1. Kudos for having a much better art than in the old WQ, it's much more pleasant to look at.
2. With that being said it's a real strain on eyes when playing on a phone because the tiles are so small.
3. Also this makes the controls unwieldy.
4. Going through arrows is a big pain. I know making the player pathfind through an arrow maze would trivialize arrow mazes but I'll be honest - arrow mazes were never a good type of puzzle, even back in AE times.
5. At the very least please make the AI smart enough that you can pathfind OFF and ONTO the arrows, not through them - if I have a single-tile wide corridor with an arrow, make it so that I can click on the arrow and then click on space after the arrow. Currently I need to click behind the arrow, on the arrow, tile after the arrow and only then I can move on.
6. The first level is completely unnecessary. You make the player go through a level with nothing interesting before they encounter their first enemy which is the actual meat of the game. It's especially important for mobile games, where you can't expect the player to have much patience, you need to get them hooked as soon as possible.
7. Speaking of which, there is a lot of going back and forth between places which doesn't really seem to accomplish anything (which is majority for level 1, Level 2 before you get the attack ability, the two arrow "mazes" to the east and west at the very beginning of Level #3).
8. Let's get back to monster. The player deals 5 damage with each arrow, the enemies have 50 HP. Which means for each monster you want to kill you need to wait 10 turns. Is there any reason why can't they have 10 HP and deal more damage to the player so that we can avoid waiting 10 turns just to kill an enemy?
9. There is some really weird bug with rotation, and I think it's related to the alternate rotation controls. In Level #4, in the bottom-right corner area whenever I tried to move between the rocks the character first rotated, then moved, unless I was standing next to an arrow which I could step on. This only happened while I was surrounded by rocks and not for every move, so it basically took me about 50 tries before I stumbled upon a solution which didn't get me squished.
10. I really think it would be nice if, at least on mobile with touch controls, the game either disallowed you to make moves which kill you or at least gave you one move undo.
11. It's also pretty confusing that when you die the room immediately resets so you might not be sure what got you.
12. By the way, it'd be nice if it was possible to easily exit the middle area in this level after solving it, because going back the same way felt like a waste of time.
13. Can I please ask for a control scheme where the screen is divided into 12 rectangles, each corresponding to one of the actions (move, rotate, wait)?
14. When you get the ability which tells you your attack starts to work differently the first area you encounter contains monsters which instakill you and give you no room to experiment. Similarly the next one. I was very confused here as to what I am expected to do before I accidentally figured it out.
15. Some puzzles require you to understand the horizontal/vertical preference in Level 5 but they're never explained.
16. Some help messages tell me things like "Hold shift to... On mobile: Do something else" it gives the game a very unpolished/I-don't-care feel
17. Is there any reason why we don't see the whole level from the very beginning? The only thing it seems to accomplish is to make the movement irritating on mobile when your sight range is small (because instead of tapping at the edge of the screen you need to tap tile by tile).
18. When you step on a scroll it displays n the middle of the screen and the only way to hide it is to step off it. Except many times you have no idea where you're moving because the message obstructs the view. I'd prefer if the first tap hid the message.
19. So, level 5. I can see what you were aiming for, I really can, but everything in me screams "nope" when I go through it. At this point it's probably too late to change anything because what I am going to point out touches the very core of the game but I am not buying it, at least not using controls which don't allow me to quickly brute-force-test many combinations:
- My issue begins when I get a shield. The game tells me that it reduces the damage only from the front, but it seems it also slightly affects the damage from the two tiles next to the front tile - it reduces the damage only by half of the shield's value. Which created fractional damage - I am hit for 12.5 instead of 15.
- Then I get the stars which, unlike other skills, are permanent and do not reset between levels. I really hope that this game does not expect me to revisit older levels to do previously-impossible areas to get stars to make later areas possible.
- Then I encounter level 2 roaches. I am really unsure about this part, because I can't seem to be able to reliably inspect monster's stats, so I won't ever know what damage they deal and how much defense they have and while I probably can easily remember the stats for 10-20 different monster types, I won't be able to remember stats for 3 different levels of 3 different monsters.
- Basically the game seems to get very number heavy here.
- I just got through level 5 and yea, the part where you're collecting stars was not fun to me. But the puzzles after that were pretty good, felt very much like something from DROD.
20. I think the "read scrolls" and "display save points" skills should be permanent, because they're utility things that don't impact the gameplay in any way and then you force the player to recollect them over and over again.
21. Also about 5th level, it is lacking focus and consistency in the way the mechanics are introduced and explored. The first level introduced arrows (but see point #6), okay. The second level was about using the bow, fine. The third level explored the two mechanics, nice. The fourth level covers rocks, awesome. Then the fifth level starts with a shield, then suddenly adds melee, increasing bow range, attacking while moving and stars. These mechanics are barely touched when they are introduced and the final section of the level basically says "nah, let's just cover a single mechanic now". I took a quick peek at level 6 and it seems to focus on orbs. It would be really good if the introduced elements were explored before new ones got into the spotlight which would make it easier for the player to memorize and learn them well.
22. One other thing I remembered - the pathfinding does not take into consideration my abilites. In the first section of level 4, when I told the character to go to the top-right corner he tried to go through the center area which requires diagonal movement through narrow passages but I didn't have it yet.

Alright, that would be it. The things I didn't complain about I liked :). In short, most of the puzzles were pretty good, but the controls on mobile are really unwieldy (I'd love pinch to zoom and more traditional DROD movement scheme, screen divided into 12 sectors). The level design suffers from pacing issues and has a lot of pointless moving around which is not fun for experienced players and will detract new players so you might think about doing something about it. And the music and sound effect are 'swell :).

Edit:
23. The player happily pathfinds through unsolved areas even when a way around is open.
24. Is level 6 possible? I solved the SE chamber, got the shield from NE chamber and scout from SW chamber. Now I can't do NW because I don't have arrow movement. Can't do N because I can't strike orbs. Can't do NE because I can neither strike orbs or attack. Can't do SW because I can't attack and can't make the roach to stay in place. Can't do S because I can't strike the orb nor use my body to squash the roach against the rock nor have anything else to squash it against. Can't do E because I can't attack. A hint? Nevermind, I completely missed the orb hitter skill. I think it failed to render and only shown after I put my phone to sleep and back, but I am not 100% sure (I had a rendering bug in S chamber, two tiles of the area-clear-gate won't display).

[Last edited by skell at 03-17-2016 08:29 PM]
03-17-2016 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (+1)  
should...should I talk about my experiences with the demo

i feel like i shouldn't talk about my experiences with the demo

it's been five minutes and

this is kinda magical
03-17-2016 at 09:06 PM
skell
I think I am stuck. I've got to the SE corner of level 6 and I have only two areas left: 3x2 with 8th level roach and ambush upgrade and the one with 9th level roach, 5 little roachies and only a single tile you can enter. I have 20 stars.
I am one hp short of killing the first roach. I looked all around the level and found nothing I missed. Is there some magical mechanic I am missing here?

03-18-2016 at 01:25 AM
Blondbeard
Is there a PC demo right now? I would certanly like to try that, if so.
03-18-2016 at 03:37 AM
skell
skell wrote:
I think I am stuck. I've got to the SE corner of level 6 and I have only two areas left: 3x2 with 8th level roach and ambush upgrade and the one with 9th level roach, 5 little roachies and only a single tile you can enter. I have 20 stars.
I am one hp short of killing the first roach. I looked all around the level and found nothing I missed. Is there some magical mechanic I am missing here?
So the mechanic I was missing is the fact that enemies turn around to face you even when you're outside the puzzle area and their direction does not reset. The solution was to land the first hit from monster's side to bypass their shield.

So I played Level 6 some more and there is the rest of my feedback:

25. Going back to the pinch-to-zoom -> If you implemented pinch to zoom in/out you could make it so that pressing the HP/status bar opens the menu, instead of the awkward "tap with two fingers on the screen" which almost always has the side effect of making the player move.
26. And going back to my problems with numbers and I finally can explain it better. So basically, WQRPG is about numbers. In the most basic scenario, your attack deals a specific amount of damage to an enemy. In the most basic scenario, the enemy deals a specific amount of damage to you. In the most basic scenario it's about counting how many times you need to hit the enemy to kill him (We'll call it EKH) and how many times the enemy has to hit to kill you (we'll call it PKH). Assuming we're only fighting a single type of enemy this leads to some scenarios:
Skell's rant in quotation to make the indent more visible
A) If EKH is smaller than or equal to PKH then you can rush the enemy and just kill him, because he won't be able to kill you.
B) If EKH is greater than PKH you need to land EKH - PKH hits before the enemy hits you first, eg. by shooting them from a distance.
C) If there are multiple enemies but you only engage them one by one, then it's basically summing the number of EKH's of individual enemies (it's not but we're simplifying things a lot here)
D) If there are multiple enemies who engage you simultaneously then you need to divide PKH by the number of enemies.
So far it's mostly simple. The rules I gave for engaging multiple enemies are not very accurate but I can't be bothered to pull a piece of paper and a pen to calculate it properly, so let's go with the simplified rules. Because they're simple, right?
Now what happens if your stats increase? When you get more HP or deal more damage? You need to recalculate everything in your mind, because the game does not provide a simple interface telling you "5 hits to kill, 3 hits to die". Okay, it's not THAT bad because you don't get stats every fight.
Except what happens if the enemies have different level? Like level 2 or 5 or 7 or 8 o 9 or 10 or 11 or 12, all of which I encountered when playing through Level 6? Their stats are different, so now you need to calculate the stats before tackling each room to even see if it's possible. Okay, I probably can deal with it, though if the interface kept me informed it would be easier.
Except what happens when you have a shield? So damage done from the front, from 45 angle and from the other directions is different? Damn it makes case D) super complex. This is the point where it stops being really feasible to count anything and what you do is 50% trial and error. Mind you this happens at the beginning of Level 5!
But I am not done yet. Have I mentioned that enemies also have shields? So hitting them from a side deals more damage! It can be used for some very clever puzzles, but with everything I've said so far it can be so easily abused. And now trail and error rate goes up to 60%.
Which isn't the worst part. There is an Ambush skill in the game, which increases the damage you do by some percent per forest tile surrounding an enemy. If the enemy is surrounded by 5 forest tiles, your damage is increased by 5 * 4% = 20%. Then it also includes monster tiles and water tiles. At this point it's pointless to really think too much about the numbers, you just see an area and try the most optimal way to do it you can think of. Didn't work? Let's try another area until we find one we can complete, at which point it should give us some skill upgrade we can use to solve some other area that was previously impossible. Maybe I can't count as good as some other people, but starting from the moment you get Ambush in level 6 I stopped to even think about numbers. I just tried to deal with the areas in an order that seemed right and hope I can go through the game. I have failed to chose correctly most of the time because I am lacking the intuition necessary to just know how to play it, but I am worried I am never going to get this intuition, because I am about to finish Level 6 and all my upgrades (sans stars) are going to reset so I will have to relearn many things, again.

I am afraid at this point there is naught you can do about it aside from redoing half of the game and changing the basic assumptions about it.

Now don't get me wrong. All of this is not necessarily bad! Despite all of this frustration on this and other design decision I find myself generally enjoying the game and the biggest source of frustration are the controls. But I can't say I am enjoying it half as much as, say, DROD, because I don't feel like I am solving solving, but rather playing with a puzzle which does not behave in a predictable way, so it's more about the fun of trial-and-error.
27. I am stuck in Lockridge in Level 6 because most of the time when I try to move away from a rock in the final section the character instead tries to rotate/wait. Something must be done about these controls because it's not the first area I had to redo dozens of times because my fingers are not tiny enough to not accidentally press a wrong tile.
28. I liked the metapuzzle aspect in Level 6 where you had to do the areas in order, I think it's a huge part of the charm of the game and I wish it relied more on this type of behavior and less on number crunching.
29. I feel obliged to once again point out issues with the way powerups are paced in the game. Level 5 introduced 5(6) skills: defense, melee, +range, +attack when moving (2 types), +stars and it failed to properly cover all of them. You could easily make at least 5 different areas for each of those skills separately, not to mention various combinations, yet they are barely touched. Level 6 suffers from a similar condition but not exactly. It first introduces trapdoors on which you can stand only for limited number of turns which is weird but actually creates some very interesting puzzles and that skill is generally covered well. Then the game introduced ambush and starts throwing over 20 stars at you in the next few areas, not to mention obstacles which are never really introduced, they just start to be used. And not to mention the fact that at this point the game expects you to know and use correctly things like: attacking enemies from the side to bypass their shield, horizontal/vertical movement preference, monster facing the player when starting the area, monsters not attacking against the arrow's direction, monsters not stepping off arrows even if they can't when they block them from attacking you, not being able to attack against arrows you can't step on/off. None of these mechanics was ever properly introduced and explained, some of them you could've noticed while doing other areas but generally I find the game introduces new concepts/mechanics too quickly, without properly exploring them .

03-18-2016 at 01:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wonderquest Survival RPG Announced! (Demo available!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com