Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Updating the hold starter pack (Scattered thoughts)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
IP: Logged
icon Updating the hold starter pack (+6)  
For reference, the starter pack is in [install path]\Data\Homemade, and contains these holds (secret-ified for space):

Click here to view the secret text

This is not a particularly up-to-date list, and being hidden deep in the game files means the overwhelming majority of players have no idea that it exists. So I would suggest a few changes, at the very least it should be something worth discussing.

#1: Have the holds preinstalled. Not sure if there's any major technical barriers to it, but it would certainly help.

#2: In addition to the architect's hold description, include a curator's note, basically a brief summary of the hold's length, what version it was made in, and its difficulty (its existence in the starter pack would vouch for its quality). This way, even if Gigantic Jewel Lost is included in the starter pack -- and being that it's one of the magnum opuses of DROD, it should be -- the curator's note would say something along the lines of "an epic-length adventure designed to challenge even the most skilled DROD players. Playing Advanced Concepts first is highly recommended."

#3: Change up what holds are included in the pack. An AE-era tutorial hold (DROD Tutorials) is a questionable inclusion, and I'm not too sure about Odyssey and Easy or Hard being the only Larrymurk representation, but the rest are pretty solid choices. It could definitely be expanded, and the addition of curator's notes means there's no reason not to include a selection of more challenging holds.

#4: Hold folders! This would allow the collections (described below) to work.

So what holds do I think should be in the pack? I would divide them up into a few collections to further simplify the process of picking a hold from this (much larger) list, as follows. The list of collections (or the holds within them) are by no means complete, and that's one of the things to hammer out in this thread.

The Advanced Concepts Collection - Self-explanatory
Advanced Concepts
Advanced Concepts 2

The Short/Sweet Collection - Holds that can be completed in an evening, or a weekend of casual play. Typically of low to medium difficulty.
Compass Point
Easy or Hard
Odyssey
Uncle Arable's Rooms
Fireballs
3 in 1
Cube of Memories
Down the Grimmish Hole

The Short/Sinister Collection - Difficult holds that are the right length for the Short/Sweet collection, but above the cut for difficulty.
Archipelago
The Pile of Puzzles
Goo
The Room of Humility
SSSLitherin Expert

The [need a name for this] Collection - Mid-sized holds that start easy, but become quite formidable by the end.
Pickle Cellar
Simon's Dungeon (should this go in the Challenge Collection instead?)
Aurora's Palace
Dan's Dungeon

The Challenge Collection - Longer holds, similar in length to the previous collection, but more difficult.
Entropy
Lavender Levels
A World in Miniature
Museum of Ooze
Think Outside the Box
(honestly most Larrymurk holds fit this category)
Choose Your Adventure
Terrakept Resonant

The Epic Collection - Big, sprawling, challenging holds to really sink your brain-teeth into.
Doctor E. Will's Mega Complex
Gigantic Jewel Lost
MetDROiD: Echoes
Homeward Adventure

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 08-23-2015 11:54 PM]
08-23-2015 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Updating the hold starter pack (+1)  
Excellent idea :thumbsup I just have a few suggestions for changes to the collections/holds list:

3 in 1 is definitely not short/sweet. Maybe it's not all that hard to clear (finding one solution to each room), but getting all three solutions is the whole point of the hold.

Fourth collection could be called "Introductory"? Curiosity, Phil's Dungeon and Beethro and the Cake should go here. Perhaps also Witherwood Castle. And I would move Terrakept Resonant to Challenge.

Is it okay to include Homeward Adventure but not Mysteries of the Deep? I know HA has the "story so far" thing at the beginning, but even so, some players will want to play the holds in order.

08-23-2015 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Updating the hold starter pack (0)  
I'm honored to see Homeward Adventure categorized as an "epic" hold along the likes of GJL. :D

As for MotD, it would make sense to have it in, but I personally feel it's perhaps too low-quality for the pack. The grammar is disappointing, and there's a room in particular early on that is basically the worst kind of brick wall (the second room in the first Guide interlude). I guess if I could go back and make some changes to the hold, (Mysteries of the Deep 5.0 anyone?), then perhaps it would be better for inclusion.

EDIT: I hear Dan's Dungeon is a really good easy hold. It should probably be added to the list.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 08-23-2015 07:45 PM]
08-23-2015 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elswyyr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Updating the hold starter pack (+1)  
Dan's Dungeon taught me to play DROD, I highly recommend it.
08-23-2015 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I'm thinking about this topic carefully in the context of Steam DROD DLC.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-01-2015 at 08:42 PM
elfbutt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
mrimer wrote:
I'm thinking about this topic carefully in the context of Steam DROD DLC.
Like having this be a free dlc pack?
10-08-2015 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Yes, exactly.

For Steam "auto-import" to work, however, this would require tuning some knobs on these holds so they wouldn't be uploadable through the usual channels, as with the official holds. The dev team will have to think more about how to handle that part nicely.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-09-2015 02:11 PM]
10-09-2015 at 02:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Updating the hold starter pack (Scattered thoughts)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com