Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New weapon idea: Torch
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
IP: Logged
icon New weapon idea: Torch (+4)  
Proposals for new features seem to have died down lately, but there will be a 5.0.3 eventually, perhaps even a 5.1, so I thought I'd throw this idea out there.

The torch is a small weapon, like the dagger, so Beethro faces the way he moves and doesn't drop trapdoors (but does melt thin ice). Monsters can move onto its tile.

Bumping against most monsters burns them, with Beethro remaining on his tile. Gentryii, golems, giants and constructs are immune. Attempting to bump into a puff results in Beethro walking into the puff's tile and dying -- unless a force arrow prevents him, in which case the puff can be burned.

Bumping against an orb activates it; bumping a powder keg blows it up. Bumping a mirror doesn't do anything special, and Beethro can push them as normal.

Bumping a fluff tile burns it. Other tarstuffs are unaffected.

When armed with the torch, all fuse tiles act as fuse ends. Stepping off an inactive fire trap activates it (as part of player's movement, before anything else in the turn order).

An optional mechanic (could be interesting, but might be overcomplicated for a weapon idea): Wading in shallow water puts the torch out. Beethro-with-unlit-torch has separate sprites but behaves exactly as unarmed Beethro, except that the torch can be relit if Beethro moves so that the torch is over a firetrap.

08-21-2015 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: New weapon idea: Torch (0)  
It would be cool if weapon ideas like this were scriptable.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-21-2015 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405
icon Re: New weapon idea: Torch (+2)  
Some silly ideas of questionable merit:

-Bumping against a briar tile could destroy it, like a bomb or fegundo explosion does.

-Bumping against fegundo ashes could instantly revive them, regardless of how many turns have passed since they died.

-Wraithwings could be scared of Beethro yielding the flame and seek to hold their usual 5 square distance, even when they are positioned in a way that would usually cause them to close in for an attack.

-Clearing a room while carrying a torch causes Beethro to yell "I am the God of Hellfire. And I bring you... fire."
08-22-2015 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New weapon idea: Torch
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com