Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : A Quiet Place : Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
IP: Logged
icon A Quiet Place : Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 East (0)  

I have cleared the goblins and have reached point 1. I can't manage to kill the goblin at 2. I assume that you are meant to use the wraithwing to trap it but I just can't manage it. I need a pointer or 2.
10-16-2004 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: A Quiet Place : Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 East (+2)  
There's a with-wraithwing solution and a without-wraithwing solution.

Using the wraithwing:
Click here to view the secret text

(Note that there are solutions other than this exact one, of course.)

Without the wraithwing:

10-16-2004 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: A Quiet Place : Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 East (0)  
I can't even come near to defeating the roaches at the southeast. Am I missing something, or just not skilful enough in my smiting?

11-27-2004 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
It is something that I have only recently noticed in Drod but when confronted by a seemingly overwhelming horde, at least sometimes, it is advantageous to hold your ground for a bit rather than retreating immediately. If this isn’t enough then read further:

11-27-2004 at 11:27 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Atch wrote:
It is something that I have only recently noticed in Drod but when confronted by a seemingly overwhelming horde, at least sometimes, it is advantageous to hold your ground for a bit rather than retreating immediately. If this isn’t enough then read further:
It depends on the order of monster creation. Certain techniques only work if monsters are placed in one way, otherwise they won't, or are less effective.

Generally... If a mass/horde generally move as a tight group, they were placed in the order of the nearest line to furthest line. If the lines of monsters break up to form 1 square wide lines as they approach, then they were created in the order of furthest monsters to nearest.

11-27-2004 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
botez
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I'm stuck in this room at the point of the tar at the very end of the room. I cannot see how to hit all 4 red squares...I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing, but was I supposed to do something before I got to the end to make this work?

Troy

12-03-2004 at 09:10 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
botez wrote:
I'm stuck in this room at the point of the tar at the very end of the room. I cannot see how to hit all 4 red squares...I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing, but was I supposed to do something before I got to the end to make this work?

Troy

Well,

12-03-2004 at 09:38 PM
botez
Rank Points: 10
Hmm, guess i shouldn't have killed off my buddy yet, huh...

Back to the beginning of the level I go to do things right...

Thanks, Troy

12-03-2004 at 09:40 PM
YtterbiJum
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
TripleM wrote:Well,

I also am having a hard time. Since there's no tar mother and I know of no way for snakes to clear tar, I don't see how any enemy can help.

A little more obvious answer for the puzzlingly challenged, perhaps? :blush

12-03-2004 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
A little more obvious answer for the puzzlingly challenged, perhaps?
12-03-2004 at 10:55 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
botez wrote:
Hmm, guess i shouldn't have killed off my buddy yet, huh...

Back to the beginning of the level I go to do things right...

Thanks, Troy

You shouldn't have to go back to the beginning of the level - just restore the game to the most recent checkpoint before that.
12-04-2004 at 12:22 AM
omgitsgir
Rank Points: 13
I'm having a lot of trouble with the last section before the tar. I have this weird feeling that there's exactly one solution that will allow you to stay alive and kill everything in the process, but I'm completely missing it.

I know I have to hit the orb from the north or the northeast, but I'm not sure whether to get the potion before or after I do so. Also, unless I'm missing something completely obvious, I'm either killing something or staying alive every turn, and I know to keep the mimic alive so I can get rid of the tar and (maybe) the snake later.

I managed to beat KDD without help, but this dungeon has gotten me completely stuck multiple times. Any help?

10-25-2006 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yeah, well, this has a higher brain rating than KDD, meaning that the puzzles are (on average) tougher than those in KDD.

Uh, for that section, I found it really helpful to just go over the tactics I'd already tried and then try something else. Or just use different moves, I dunno.

10-25-2006 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kmt
Rank Points: 26
I am stuck on the orbs just above the SE corner. I tried all the orders given in the scroll - forwards and backwards - and can't clear all the doors. I was trying to figure out all the combinations and permutations of the six orbs and calculated that it's a really big number. If I have to rely on trial and error, I will be here for a long time.
11-30-2007 at 05:06 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I have to say I can't understand the hint on the scroll either, but fortunately, this puzzle is easy enough to figure out logically.

How to approach the orb puzzle: start by left clicking on each orb to see how it affects the doors. Green means open. Orange means toggle. Red means close. Get a pen and paper and write out a little table of your observations.

Now work backwards. You want to open all the doors, so the last orb can't close any of them. The last orb is

What should the next to the last orb do?
Continue the logic from here...

To open all the doors, you need to hit a total of

Good luck! :)
11-30-2007 at 05:40 AM
kmt
Rank Points: 26
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
How to approach the orb puzzle: start by left clicking on each orb to see how it affects the doors. Green means open. Orange means toggle. Red means close.
As luck would have it, I'm color blind. I can't see the difference between the red and the orange. Whenever I have to deal with orb problems, I have to go out and hit every orb to find out what they do. Which makes them that much more difficult. Because of that, I really appreciate the orb table you constructed. It got me over the top.
11-30-2007 at 07:09 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: A Quiet Place : Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 East (+1)  
kmt wrote:
As luck would have it, I'm color blind. I can't see the difference between the red and the orange. Whenever I have to deal with orb problems, I have to go out and hit every orb to find out what they do. Which makes them that much more difficult.
You might want to post in the Feature Request forum concerning this - an alternative way of marking door types that doesn't solely rely on colors surely isn't a bad idea...

11-30-2007 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Briareos wrote:
kmt wrote:
As luck would have it, I'm color blind. I can't see the difference between the red and the orange. Whenever I have to deal with orb problems, I have to go out and hit every orb to find out what they do. Which makes them that much more difficult.
You might want to post in the Feature Request forum concerning this - an alternative way of marking door types that doesn't solely rely on colors surely isn't a bad idea...
Like here.
11-30-2007 at 02:03 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Of course, when this hold was created, clicking on an orb did nothing at all. Hints about the puzzle on the scroll:

[Last edited by schep at 12-01-2007 02:14 AM]
12-01-2007 at 02:13 AM
Songsmith
Rank Points: 38

File: AQP Fourth Level 1S1E failure.demo (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
Sorry, I know this is two years or more since anyone else played this hold. I was always was behind the times! I'm struggling here with the last bit before the tar.

I've attached a demo of failure. This is my best shot. I've also tried hitting the orb from the NE, but that's even worse. I've even tried using the mimic to help me out, but there simply isn't enough manoeuvring room to get him in a suitable place. Please can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or suggest an action to get me past this.

Many thanks
Best to all...,
and (to those in the UK) have a nice bank holiday weekend.
Jan

08-22-2008 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Songsmith wrote:
and (to those in the UK) have a nice bank holiday weekend.
I think we need more UK banks over here, or at least enough to get your bank holidays... :D

Anyway...

np: The Orb - Montagne D'Or (Der Gute Berg) (Orbus Terrarum Remastered)

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-22-2008 05:37 PM]
08-22-2008 at 05:22 PM
Songsmith
Rank Points: 38
Briareos wrote:
I think we need more UK banks over here, or at least enough to get your bank holidays... :D
I'll have to see what I can do :-)

Thankyou for the hints - exactly what I needed to finish the room. Yay!
:D
Jan
08-26-2008 at 11:40 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : A Quiet Place : Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com