Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Adders won't eat stealthy temporal clones if they get in the way (Not sure if intended or not)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon Adders won't eat stealthy temporal clones if they get in the way (0)  
Rule 1: Monsters will not target or attack a temporal clone if it is stealthed, treating it as a brain-invisible obstacle instead.

Rule 2: Adders will eat anything edible if it gets in its way, even if the adder does not consider it a threat (e.g. other monsters, inactive regular clones).

The bug: If a stealthy temporal clone stands in the way of an adder, the adder will not eat it but instead treat it as an obstacle, like all other monsters do.

I think this is a bug, but I guess I could see it being ruled either way. Seems more intuitive to me that a stealthed temporal clone would get eaten and you'd die if it stood in the way of a rampaging adder.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 06-20-2015 08:28 PM]
06-20-2015 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Adders won't eat stealthy temporal clones if they get in the way (+1)  
Mike, I've found this in adder's source code when looking at what Adders consider as obstacles:

//Check for non-Beethro player at square -- don't attack if not targeted.
	if (this->pCurrentGame->IsPlayerAt(wCol, wRow) && !player.IsTarget())
		return true;

It seems it is intended that adders refuse to eat player if player is not a target (so either stealthed or in a player role). Nevertheless it is really weird because other than that adders do not care if they're eating a friend or foe and this is a weird exception here.

Can you voice your opinion? Is it supposed to be that way and we stick to it, or should we change it? (I vote for changing but then again I don't know how many/if any holds it'll affect)

10-31-2015 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Adders won't eat stealthy temporal clones if they get in the way (0)  
Yes, of course. I agree with everything voiced here. I don't know why that check is in the code. I'm guessing it's a copy-and-paste from how other monsters relate to non-targeted entities. I agree that an adder should probably act differently. I expect it would eat the player/clones/projections in its path.

So, two or more code fixes, probably. May we apply the special validation cue event to the spider to catch which rooms would be impacted by these fixes?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-11-2015 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Let's fix it for 5.1 because it's a ruleset issue.

01-24-2016 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Mike, I started to work on this but there is a deeper issue here, there is some issue with rendering I can't put my finger on.

Basically right now, if you have a stealthed Temporal Clone on Adder's path, the adder will happily munch on it, except though that makes the adder stop rendering. Could you investigate what might be causing it? I've additionally found a bug in GameScreen.cpp#3013, a function which takes x & y is called with (wMX, wMX).

What is worse, roaches (and other enemies) will attack the stealthy temporal clone if it stands on their way but that's a separate issue I can handle.

02-03-2016 at 11:52 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
skell wrote:
Basically right now, if you have a stealthed Temporal Clone on Adder's path, the adder will happily munch on it, except though that makes the adder stop rendering. Could you investigate what might be causing it? I've additionally found a bug in GameScreen.cpp#3013, a function which takes x & y is called with (wMX, wMX).
Good catch. You're right -- that's a bug. I'm happy to investigate this issue. Can you provide a simple demo room here with steps to reproduce?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-04-2016 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell

File: Test - Adders disappear eating stealthy temporal clone.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
Alright, first of all a test hold has been attached. In the latest build of the game move all the way to the left, then press tab to end temporal recording, and as real Beethro step on the pressure plate. Once the adder eats Temporal Projection the adder will promptly disappear. This only happens when the projection is stealthy, which is the case in the attached hold. If you remove the script the adder will behave correctly.

Second of all, the following changes have been made:
1. Adders will eat a stealthy player if the player stands in their way even if the player is stealthy (this makes it consistent with the fact that adders always ate foes and friends alike)
2. Adders will eat a stealthy temporal clone (although that's how it worked before from what I saw, contrary to this thread's topic)
3. Regular monsters will no longer kill stealthy temporal clones if they stay on monsters' path.

[Last edited by skell at 02-07-2016 04:05 PM]
02-07-2016 at 04:05 PM
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
I can confirm that all three numbered points in the above post are true in 5.1.0.6462.

As for the graphical glitch, the only issue I see is that the timeclone is being drawn above the adder's head. When the player is eaten, the adder's head is drawn above the player. The adder's body is appearing just fine.

However, the exact same thing happens with other monsters - if they kill the player, the monster is drawn above the player. But if they kill a temporal projection, the projection is drawn above the monster. This is probably fine, as it makes it clearer that the projection's death is the reason you're losing. So that glitch seems to be fixed as well.
02-17-2016 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Adders won't eat stealthy temporal clones if they get in the way (Not sure if intended or not)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com