Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Eighth Fairy Tales (Our Contest for April)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Eighth Fairy Tales (+5)  
No matter how old you are, I think everyone enjoys fairy tales. Short stories based on tales of fantasy that are great for invoking strong imagery on the person or people reading it.

When it comes to the world that DROD is based in, The Eighth, it’s filled with a lot of rich history and culture. But realistically, we haven’t seen a lot of the culture above the dungeon floor. We know a lot about the DAA, the Smitemaster’s Guild, and about all the monsters and technology the Empire uses. But what about the basics? What about what parents use to put children to sleep after a long Eighthian day?

Your challenge for this part of the contest is to write a fairy tale/short story taking place in the Eighth with the goal of something that someone could build a hold around. Be detailed, be imaginative, involve elements that an architect could use, and most of all have fun with it! If you want more details on the Eighth, make sure to check out the Fan Site or the help pages! Accuracy to Canon isn’t a requirement though, because remember that these are fictional stories anyways!

But enough of this, let’s get to the rules!

*The goal for this part of the contest is to write a fictional story or poem based in or around the DROD world. Remember that translating this story to a constructed hold will be the goal, and will be part of the judgement criteria! Be descriptive, and most importantly have fun with it! There is no set length required!

*Maximum of two entries per person.

*Submit all entries to the submission topic.

*You will have until Local Time:04-25-2015 at 07:00 AM to submit your entries.

*Usual prizes are up for grabs: 100 rank points and an item from the Prize Pile for first, 50 rank points and three months of CaravelNet for second place, and 25 rank points and one month of CaravelNet for third. This also counts towards eight-timer and first contest bonuses as well!

As stated before, have fun with it! Remember too that most of the Brothers Grimm's fairy tales were very violent in nature, making them good for hold building. As well, feel free to discuss Eighth details or other concepts in this topic as you'd like!

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 04-24-2015 04:15 PM]
04-06-2015 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Eighth Fairy Tales (+1)  
<ahem>

04-07-2015 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Eighth Fairy Tales (0)  
So, just a friendly reminder to everyone that you have ten days left! Don't hesitate to submit something, and don't feel like it needs to be a novel either!

04-14-2015 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
icon Re: Eighth Fairy Tales (+2)  
Is writing intimidating? Doesn't need to be for a fairy tale!

So a traditional fairy tale is actually easy to write, being so formulaic that a computer could do it given something along the lines of skell's room generator database. Set up a challenge, solve it iteratively or recursively in sets of one or three, and throw any old random thing in as a challenge. And keep going until the beer stops flowing. See here for more. There's quite literally no deeper symbolic context required, just have stuff happen to fill out the time.

Of course, one could also go full Bettelheim Freudian, which is always fun. Or ignore all this and tell the story you were going to anyway.

04-14-2015 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
We are sitting at two entries right now with just under four days left. Look at it this way - submitting an entry gives you a pretty good chance of walking away with some prize! :)

04-20-2015 at 09:32 PM
RyTracer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 86
I have a relevant question: are there horses on the Eighth? Sometimes a fairy tale needs horses.

I am working on a tale. I started it last night but it is getting a bit long. The ending will likely seem very rushed to get it done by the deadline.

04-21-2015 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
RyTracer wrote:
I have a relevant question: are there horses on the Eighth? Sometimes a fairy tale needs horses.
There are if you need them to be! Just go ahead and include them; the Eighth has many familiar things like coffee, bacon and Spoostlefish, so you can probably assume all sorts of fantastic and mundane creatures exist.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-21-2015 06:29 PM]
04-21-2015 at 06:29 PM
Tamsk
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
According to Erik here, there are no horses or cows on the Eighth. But that doesn't mean they can't be fairy-tale beasts, of course.
04-21-2015 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Tamsk wrote:
According to Erik here, there are no horses or cows on the Eighth. But that doesn't mean they can't be fairy-tale beasts, of course.
Aw, that's too bad. I guess that does explain why all armies seem to march on foot, and no mention of offscreen cavalry regiments have ever been made.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-21-2015 10:46 PM]
04-21-2015 at 10:45 PM
Dischorran
I want to see Beethro riding a sandworm.

04-21-2015 at 10:52 PM
Zaratustra00
Rank Points: 107
Tamsk wrote:

Which is why all the clockwork weights on surface mechanisms are wound by human work.

Maybe they can ride fegundos?
04-22-2015 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Talking in chat there's a few people who are close to finishing their story but are feeling a little rushed right now. So, in the spirit of generosity and wanting to get as many entries as possible, I'm extending the deadline by 12 hours.

Consider it a present to all of you. :)

04-24-2015 at 04:17 PM
LeoS
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: Eighth Fairy Tales (+2)  
Well I'm glad I saw that *after* I used deadline pressure to finish mine up! :) To post an entry I presume I just copy/paste what I've written and post it?
04-24-2015 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
To submit an entry, go to the submissions thread and attach your entry as a file. I guess you could probably post the raw text within the post body itself, but it's probably simpler to just have it as an attachment.

04-25-2015 at 12:19 AM
LeoS
Rank Points: 276
Yeah, as I look over it, that would've been a monstrous (npi) copy/paste for later thread viewers! Thanks.
04-25-2015 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Eighth Fairy Tales (Our Contest for April)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com