Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Contest Survey (What style of contests do you enjoy competing in?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What style of contests do you enjoy competing in?
Architectural (Like 'Elemental Showcase')
Puzzle Solving (Like the Second Half of 'Keeping it Secret')
Optimization (Like 'Least Number of Moves')
Writing (Like 'Let's Do Some Writing!')
Graphic Design (Like 'Cutest Roach Ever')
Non-DROD Puzzles (Like 'Deflectomundo')
Other (Please elaborate!)
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Contest Survey (+1)  
Hey all,

I'd like to run more contests in the new year, but before I do I'd like to get an idea of what you enjoy competing in. The past couple of contests have been strictly architectural, but I'd like to do more varied ones in people are interested.

It's a multiple selection one, so pick ones you enjoy competing in and/or would like to see, and feel free to open up discussion if you want!

02-11-2015 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Contest Survey (0)  
I like to participate in all kinds of Architectural contests although I don't vote as eagerly as I participate - most of the contests consists of multi-room entries and it takes a lot of time and effort to play and vote and I am often a bit short on both or either.

I've never participated in any Puzzle Solving contests or at least I can't recall any. I'd love to try it.

Optimization get a big no-no from me - it's not something I particularly enjoy. DROD Challenge League was a very fun idea though, even if I didn't participate.

I like writing so this category gets a plus from even though I know I can't compete with people like Pearls. The same for graphic design contests - not something I am great at but it's fun. And it's pretty easy both to participate and to vote in both categories!

Anything not related to DROD is fine by me.

[Last edited by skell at 02-11-2015 02:39 PM]
02-11-2015 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Contest Survey (+9)  
I voted for Architecture and Problem solving, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to see some contests with a lower bar to entry. It took a lot of time to design a hold for Elemental Showcase, and it seems like a contest that involves writing or even creating a graphic could be a lot less time consuming.

That being said, I had an idea for a writing contest if anyone is interested.
-----
When we were wee little delvers our parents probably taught us rhymes like "Thirty days hath September" to remember which months have 30 days and which ones have 31. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_days_hath_September

Well, you'd imagine little ones on the Eighth learn similar rhymes in order to remember some of the arcane rules of life that they have to live with. You can almost picture Uncle Bethro sitting Halph down on his lap and reciting the following:

Click here to view the secret text

So the contest is this:

Come up with a rhyming verse that accurately describes one or more of the interactions or movement patterns in DROD. Some possibilities are serpent movement (obviously), brained movement, tarstuff cuttability, movement order, goblin movement, pressure plate types, etc. I literally came up with the example above on my walk into work so I don't imagine it would be difficult to come up with something more clever in not too much time. What do you guys think? Good idea for a contest or corny?

Okay here's another one just for fun:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Insoluble at 02-12-2015 06:37 PM : fix stupidity]
02-11-2015 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Contest Survey (+1)  
Insoluble wrote:
When we were wee little delvers our parents probably taught us rhymes like "Thirty days hath September" to remember which months have 30 days and which ones have 31. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_days_hath_September

Well, you'd imagine little ones on the Eighth learn similar rhymes in order to remember some of the arcane rules of life that they have to live with.
ErikH2000 wrote:
Thirty-seven days hath Septender,
Onsuary, Twisuary, and Novender.
All the rest hath... uh.... thirty-seven.
So this rhyme is pointless to remember.
02-11-2015 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RyTracer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 86
Those are awesome poems, Insoluble!

I too prefer creative contests outside of making holds, such as writing or graphics.

[Last edited by RyTracer at 02-11-2015 04:33 PM]
02-11-2015 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I will say I'm up for crazy hybrid contest ideas that try and combine the best of both worlds where you could pick one side, the other, or both perhaps ('Keeping It Secret' and 'The War of the Dungeons' are two I'm especially proud of).

Knowing this, I'd be curious to try a combination writing and architectural contest, but the only thing I'd need to work out how to make it fair for both sides.

02-11-2015 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
icon Re: Contest Survey (+2)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Knowing this, I'd be curious to try a combination writing and architectural contest, but the only thing I'd need to work out how to make it fair for both sides.

What about a hold that tells a story of a certain element? This way you'd have to think about a good story, write it in a scroll or using scripting, and show it as 3-4 rooms.
Let me be more precise with an example:

Once upon a time there was a tiny adder living with his family (show in the room 3 adders), but one day some mean people arrived to kill all snakes, the little adder managed to escape but his parents died (show guards killing adders).
The tiny adder managed to survive eating some roaches, (show adder eating roaches) until he became stronger and longer. Then he decided to find those guards who killed his parents, but he had to travel through a dangerous cave (show adder walking in a cave filled with puff)... and so on.

Once again, this was you must combine a good story (writing) with a good way to represent it (building).
What do you think about it?

02-11-2015 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Quewort
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
icon Re: Contest Survey (+2)  
What about a hold that tells a story of a certain element?
It's the perfect idea for me, cause I don't know English perfectly, so I can build a hold with few amount of text, you know. :D
02-11-2015 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
My issue is that I like to try to keep time required to make a contest entry as low as possible so to maximize the amount of entries, and to eliminate as many variables for voting as possible. If I was to do something like that (And actually, you kind of have the right idea as to what my idea is), I'd split it up into two parts: First contest being writing, and then second part being building a hold based off of the winning entry. That way, you're not doing a huge commitment of time, and voting becomes easier as the criteria is narrowed.

02-12-2015 at 02:31 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
With 5.0 out, any architectural contest held before the release of 5.0 could get a sequel. Cheap Trick II: The Recheapening should at least be considered.

02-12-2015 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Pinnacle wrote:
With 5.0 out, any architectural contest held before the release of 5.0 could get a sequel. Cheap Trick II: The Recheapening should at least be considered.
No Dis, you can't just re-use your entry from Keeping it Secret.

02-12-2015 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Don't need to. Trust me.

02-12-2015 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I kind of feel like Cheap Trick and Keeping it Secret were similar enough that I wouldn't want to do it right away, and on the other side of the coin I would prefer to do original new contests before going back to old ones, or at least trying to find a new spin on the old ones before redoing them.

02-12-2015 at 03:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Contest Survey (What style of contests do you enjoy competing in?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com