Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged
icon Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine (+1)  
Hi everyone,

while going through my notes for an upcoming exam, I rediscovered a sketch for a PuzzleScript game I've designed about half a year ago. I posted it there, but it didn't quite cause the impact I had expected.

Anyway, as part of my pre-exam-procastination, I took another look at it today, and I still don't think it's that bad a game, so I thought I might just as well share it with you. Its difficulty curve seems to be a bit steeper than I intended, but I guess that shouldn't scare away DRODites.

So yeah, the rules may not seem intuitive to everyone and the later levels get a bit tedious, but I hope some of you will still enjoy this. :)
Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
(Old link, in case you have some progress there you don't want to lose)

(Another part of my pre-exam-procrastination is getting back in touch with DROD a bit more. Hope to do some architecture later this month)

- Lukas

EDIT: Link to a slightly updated version

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 02-11-2015 04:28 PM]
02-10-2015 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine (0)  
How do you solve level 2? It contains six balls of snow of the same size.

Edit: nevermind, figured out what the grass is for :D

[Last edited by skell at 02-10-2015 02:36 PM]
02-10-2015 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine (0)  
My initial problem is with the graphics.

I'm not complaining about how pretty, just how easily discernible things are.

The angled view perspective is neat, but I'd prefer to have a top-down view to make each grid square obvious.

I can't imagine trying to play a tricky puzzle game where I'm not sure what's going on graphically.

(And congrats on winning Drod History Contest!)
02-10-2015 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Phew... these games always monopolize my time until I've completed all the levels.

So done! Thanks for a fun game.

Last level spoilers:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jason at 02-10-2015 09:49 PM]
02-10-2015 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Stumped on level four, so I'll have to let it go for now. I'd agree with larrymurk that it's a bit of a fixer upper in terms of graphics, but that seems to be a thing with puzzlescript stuff so I'll let that go too. Very nice overall.

02-10-2015 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Dischorran wrote:
Stumped on level four, so I'll have to let it go for now. I'd agree with larrymurk that it's a bit of a fixer upper in terms of graphics, but that seems to be a thing with puzzlescript stuff so I'll let that go too. Very nice overall.

Yeah, I'm not such a fan of the faux three-dimensionality, in what is otherwise a very flat game. If you're interested, level 4 hints in order of increasing exposure:

02-10-2015 at 11:54 PM
Lucky Luc
Thanks for the feedback so far! :)

Okay, I can totally see that graphics-problem - to be honest, I even thought so myself a bit while I was playing though yesterday. I'll just go with Dischorran's explanation :P . Seriously, though, the main reason I decided to do this pseudo-3D-thing was because I had no idea how to portay the assembled snowmans with only 5x5 px. If I was to do a new version, graphics would definitely be high on my to-do-list.

I agree, level 4 is probably the single most crucial level in the game. Besides what Jason already mentioned, it's supposed to teach you a second important mechanic:
Every other technique you learn after that is basically just a variation of this theme, so I really hope that level works.

@Jason: That is so pretty! :D Yes, the last level is supposed to be a tad evil (it's the last one after all). I needed a while yesterday, too, and my constellation wasn't nearly as elegant. So congratulations for finishing it!

EDIT: You know, actually, why not just do a short hack that should make the graphics-problem a bit less annoying: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=2cdfc7d5c5b0fa557745

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 02-11-2015 04:27 PM]
02-11-2015 at 04:12 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine (+1)  
Oh, huh, I saw a game that was extremely similar to this just a couple days ago.

This was it:
http://agoodsnowman.com/

I've not played it, but it looks mechanically very similar (although I think your snowballs shrink on grass, and it looks like they don't do that in their video).

Anyway, I'll certainly give you some feedback on yours once I get farther. I love Puzzlescript games!
03-04-2015 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Yeah, I've found that game too just after finishing mine. Fun fact: My game is based on another snowman-building game from my childhood which I unfortunately can neither remember the name of or find it on the internets, but the similiarity to "A Good Snowman" is really purely coincidental.

I've also bought "A Good Snowman" and played it. Turns out the slightly different mechanics actually make quite a difference puzzle-wise (or maybe it's just another style of puzzle creation, I don't know). I must admit I like their mechanics better and the level design is pretty cool, but I feel the game was a bit short. Just when the puzzles started to get interesting (difficulty-wise), it was over. I think I needed about an hour to finish it.
03-08-2015 at 07:20 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine (+1)  
Lucky Luc wrote:
I've also bought "A Good Snowman" and played it...I feel the game was a bit short. Just when the puzzles started to get interesting (difficulty-wise), it was over. I think I needed about an hour to finish it.

There is a secret, sort of second half to the game (that's even more difficult). Unless you know about it already, but I'm guessing you don't if you finished the game in about an hour???
03-09-2015 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Lamkin wrote:
Lucky Luc wrote:
I've also bought "A Good Snowman" and played it...I feel the game was a bit short. Just when the puzzles started to get interesting (difficulty-wise), it was over. I think I needed about an hour to finish it.

There is a secret, sort of second half to the game (that's even more difficult). Unless you know about it already, but I'm guessing you don't if you finished the game in about an hour???

The second half of the game is way, way more fun than the first. Just putting that out there.

03-11-2015 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Okay, I must admit I missed that. Yeah, that half looks pretty cool on first glance, so ignore my comment about the game being too short and easy for now.
03-16-2015 at 10:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Do You Want to Build a Snowman? - An oldish PuzzleScript game of mine
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com