Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Narrow Perspectives (A hold with puzzles)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: Narrow Perspectives Insoluble.demo (56.9 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Narrow Perspectives (0)  
So Skell, yesterday when I told you on chat that I was going to be way too busy this week to play through your hold, what I really meant was that your hold is supremely addictive and I would likely stay up until 3:00am playing it. I'm way too tired to play through the top row at the moment, but I've finished all the other regular rooms. I also played through some of the rooms in the South with your custom element but somehow lost my save file when I uploaded the new version of the hold. here are some more demos if for some reason you want to see the most horribly inefficient way to complete these rooms.

Lastly, I have some comments about individual rooms. These are things that may have come up. I didn't find much in terms of unintended solutions (blorx1 is the king of finding those so I doubt I'd find any that haven't already turned up.)

Lot's of fun!

3N (Don't Swing and Drink) Just a stylistic thing, but you could possibly put some floor with arrows in so that the room turns green when cleared. That way those looking at the minimap to see what rooms they have left won't overlook this one.

2N3W (Slitherin' Spikes The general idea of dodging the snakes on spike traps is fun. But it's a bit tedious to kill all four brains after they are done (especially with active spike traps forcing you to wait between). Not sure if there's something you can do to make it quicker without ruining the symmetry of the room.

3N2E (rock paranoia) The 1 time use pressure plates do not seem to do anything at all. Are they there for a reason or just a holdover from a previous version of the room?

1N1W (this is not an orb puzzle) Maybe have a scroll for those who normally have alpha blending off noting that lighting is useful in this room? Also, just a note, this room is a bit slow on my computer with alpha blending turned on (especially when stepping on pressure plates). It clears right up with alpha blending off though. Did anyone else have this problem?

4N2W (I wish these gates had doorknobs) I only used 2 of the 4 puffs, not sure if this is intentional.

4N (temporal dissonance) request: start player with sword facing a direction other than E to avoid colliding with time clone.

4N1E (Push the death around) I did not need the wubba at all and just pushed it off the edge.

04-08-2015 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
blorx1 wrote:
Here's another demo for 5N1W that might be broken.

No, you're wrong. That's the most amazing challenge ever. Which I added.

For 4N I can still adapt my original solution by switching to the southern beethro as whenever the adder is in a bad spot.
It's okay, that is the intended solution.

For 5N2E, you may want to note that I can adapt my strategy to avoid dropping trapdoors (an interesting challenge)
Added this as a challenge.

- 5N1W: Added a challenge for pressing the pressure plate yourself and clearing the room
- 5N2E: Added a challenge for not dropping any of the trapdoors
- 3N: Added the areas which will now show on the minimap that the room is clear/not
- 3N2E: Removed the pressure plates
- 4N3W: Reduced the number of puffs to 2 and added a challenge for completing it with only a single one
- 4N: Player starts facing south
- 4N1E: Added a challenge for dropping the wubba before any roach queen dies.
- 1N3W: Added a challenge for blowing up the brains before killing any roach

Updated the hold in the first post.

Thanks Insoluble and blorx1!

04-10-2015 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Narrow Perspectives (+2)  
And the hold has been submitted to HAs, thank you everyone for helping!

04-14-2015 at 07:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Quick note: The challenge in 4N2W triggers on every single turn after the room is cleared with the proper condition (so, you conquer the room, challenge triggers, make one move, challenge triggers again, and so on until you leave the room).

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-15-2015 02:42 AM]
04-15-2015 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Another note: You may wish to add obstacles to the blue gate in 1S so that people don't try to visit it after the level is clear, enter 1S1W or 1S1E on top of the blue gate, discover there's no rooms at 1S2W or 1S2E, then return to 1S and find themselves stuck behind the yellow door. This constitutes an actual backtracking problem.

EDIT: Skell has fixed both of these now.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-15-2015 09:47 PM]
04-15-2015 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Narrow Perspectives (A hold with puzzles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com