Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Greco-Latin squares
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2383
IP: Logged
icon Greco-Latin squares (0)  
I’m trying to construct a fairly efficient algorithm for the following problem: Given some initial entries that make the solution unique, complete the entries of a Greco-Latin Square.

For example, here’s a partial solution for an order 3 square:
1? ?? ?a
?? 1? ?c
2? 3c ??

And the solution:
1c 2b 3a
3b 1a 2c
2a 3c 1b

My algorithm uses a backtracking approach, populating all the unfilled entries of one latin square (being sure not to dupe entries in a row or column) and then trying to place the unfilled entries in the other latin square, backing up if there's a dupe in the row/col or if a pairing was duplicated. Each number or letter’s “currently used” pairings are kept in a Set structure for that number/letter.

My algorithm works, but it runs too slowly to be practical for squares above order 4 or 5. I need it to run efficiently on at least order 7 or 8 squares.
Any suggestions from this smart group? I’m not a mathematician so please bear with me. :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-24-2014 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Greco-Latin squares (+2)  
Backtracking is definitely the way to go, but you'll want to optimise it so that rather than processing things in a specific order (one latin square first, then the other), you process them in a way that narrows down wrong paths as soon as possible.

There are two types of constraints you can use:

"There is an x in column(/row) y" [2n^2 constraints]
"The cell at (x,y) must be filled" [n^2 constraints]

For each constraint, you can count how many ways to place a value that satisfies this constraint (without breaking the rules of the grid).

At each stage of the recursion, you should loop over the 3n^2 constraints, and figure out which one leads to the minimum number of possibilities. Just consider that constraint, and try each one in turn. When that constraint has 0 possibilities, you backtrack.

--

There is a clever way of implementing this called 'Dancing Links' - not only does this allow you to narrow down the best possibility at any stage, but also stores things in a single data structure that allows very quick recursion + backtracking without needing to copy data back and forward all of the time, so works many constant factors faster than a straightforward approach.

It's quite complex to code but when done correctly it solves Sudokus instantly, and should perform similarly in this case for the sizes you're describing.

http://garethrees.org/2007/06/10/zendoku-generation/#section-4 has a good write up of how it works.

[Last edited by TripleM at 12-25-2014 02:52 AM]
12-25-2014 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Greco-Latin squares (0)  
TripleM wrote:
http://garethrees.org/2007/06/10/zendoku-generation/#section-4 has a good write up of how it works.
That's a very interesting read! I'm studying algorithms as part of my CS Bachelor and I love logic puzzles (not so uncommon on this forum I guess), so I'm almost tempted to code up the algorithm. :)
12-25-2014 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Yes, definitely plan on studying more about Knuth's Algorithm X and modeling problems as an Exact Cover problem! Thanks for posting TripleM!
(P.S. This was discovered as recently as 2000?!)

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-26-2014 04:36 AM]
12-25-2014 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Do you have an example 7x7 or 8x8 grid to solve? I have a version of DLX coded up from my ICPC days so I could see whether it does indeed work fast or not.

[Last edited by TripleM at 12-26-2014 08:53 PM]
12-26-2014 at 08:52 PM
disoriented
TripleM wrote:
Do you have an example 7x7 or 8x8 grid to solve? I have a version of DLX coded up from my ICPC days so I could see whether it does indeed work fast or not.

I do. I can attach it below.

I found an example implementation of DLX on the web, although it's for regular Sudoku. Right now I'm trying to adapt the precomputed 0-1 matrix for use with Greco-Latin squares. I need to remove the constraint columns dealing with "Sudoku 3x3 blocks" and add columns for the pairing constraints. Not sure how to do that part yet.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-26-2014 09:36 PM]
12-26-2014 at 09:31 PM
disoriented
Sample problem:

Letters Latin Square (0,0) to (6,6):

?E?????
?????FC
???????
?????C?
??A??D?
?G?????
?C??E??

Numbers Latin Square (0,0) to (6,6):

??53???
????2??
??????5
?762???
7?1????
?37????
?????6?

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-26-2014 09:40 PM]
12-26-2014 at 09:39 PM
TripleM

File: DLX.java (4.2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
So the downside of this approach is that your rows have to be of the form "Place (a,b) at (x,y)", compared with the logic-based approach of filling in a single value at a time.

I feel like there must be some way to improve that, but still, it took 8 seconds to come up with a solution, and another 14 or so to prove it was unique:
FEDCBGA
ADBEGFC
CAEDFBG
EBGADCF
GFABCDE
DGCFAEB
BCFGEAD

[Last edited by TripleM at 12-26-2014 10:28 PM]
12-26-2014 at 10:11 PM
disoriented
Wow you're quick! I have more programming challenges that may benefit from this Exact Cover modeling, if you are interested.

12-26-2014 at 10:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Greco-Latin squares
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com