Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Forum Strategy Game
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged
icon DROD Forum Strategy Game (+5)  
Inspired by the success of my Battleships forum game, I sought to reimagine the forum strategy game that Spitemaster tried to run in August 2008. After combing through that thread along with spending many hours building a tracking spreadsheet, I am proud to announce my DROD Forum Strategy Game.

I am seeking at least 4 (up to 12) brave players willing to put my game through its paces. Each player will take on the role of a warlord seeking to seize control of the region. You will do so by issuing armies to destroy opposing warlords' fortresses before your own fortress is toppled.

The Fortress
Each fortress starts with 1000 hp and generates 1000 greckles per day. Day one will start off with 2000 greckles in the treasury. The fortress has no defenses and initially no maintenance to make repairs. A fortress can support three independent armies for a warlord to command.

Support officers may be recruited to assist the fortress. There are two:
Goblin Quartermaster: Generate an additional 100 Greckles per day per goblin quartermaster
Builder: Repair 50 fortress hp per day per builder (repairs can go above the starting 1000 hp)
You can have a maximum of five support officers on staff.

Armies
Each army is comprised of combatants and command officers. The total number of combatants in an army cannot exceed the total limits of the commanders of that army. An army may be assigned to attack a specific enemy fortress or defend the home fortress.

Combatants are purchased to for the fighting force of an army. There are 10 different combatants. Each has an associated attack, defense, hit points, purchase price, and maintenence cost.
Combatant  | Atk | Def | HP | Price | Maint
-----------+-----+-----+----+-------+------
Aumtlich   |  30 |   7 | 14 |  200  |  15
Wubba      |   7 |  30 | 14 |  200  |  15
Rock Giant |   7 |   7 | 60 |  200  |  15
Mud Baby   |  18 |  12 | 12 |  150  |  12
Evil Eye   |  18 |   6 | 24 |  150  |  12
Wraithwing |  12 |  18 | 12 |  150  |  12
Tar Baby   |  12 |   6 | 36 |  150  |  12
Gel Baby   |   6 |  18 | 24 |  150  |  12
Rock Golem |   6 |  12 | 36 |  150  |  12
Roach      |  10 |  10 | 20 |  100  |  10

Commanders are recruited to lead combatants into battle. There are 6 different commanders. Each has an associated attack, defense, and/or hit point bonus along with individual command size and salary. Commander bonuses increase the stats of the combatants.
Commander | +Atk | +Def | +HP% | Salary | Size
----------+------+------+------+--------+-----
Mimic     |  +5% |  +5% |      |   200  |  15
Cloak     |  +5% |      |  +5% |   200  |  15
Decoy     |      |  +5% |  +5% |   200  |  15
Slayer    | +15% |      |      |   200  |  10
Watcher   |      | +15% |      |   200  |  10
Neather   |      |      | +15% |   200  |  10

The total strength of an army is calculated by taking the sum of the individual stats and applying the total percent bonus from commanders to that number. For example an army with five roaches led by a Mimic and a Cloak would have a total attack of (5*10)*(1+0.05+0.05) = 55.

Gameplay
Gameplay will be segmented into rounds in which players will maintain and deploy their armies. A submission time limit will be in place for each round. At the conclusion of each round the results of the battles will be tabulated, after which the results will be posted and the next round begins.

Each round of gameplay will follow the same schedule: 1-Mandatory income and expenses, 2-Purchases and recruitment, 3-Sales and dismissals, 4-Deployment and battle.

Income is added to the treasury and repairs (if any) are made to the fortress. Then daily maintenance and salaries from all armies are deducted.

Combatants can by purchased without any set limit. Each army is separate and purchases are made for a specific army. A total of two officers (support + command) can be recruited per round, but no restrictions as to which officers are to be recruited.

Combatants can be sold at 80% of the purchase price. Officers may be dismissed with no cost recovery. You must be solvent at this point! Bankruptcy is an automatic loss! There are no army-to-army transfers.

Composite stats of each army are to be calculated and deployment orders are issued. If two different players attack the same victim, the attackers have a gentleman's agreement to focus on the victim and not each other. This means that if multiple armies attack the same target then the total attack force is calculated by summing all the individual armies' composite stats.

The Battlefield
Once total attacking and defending forces are determined at each location, battle commences in ten rounds of stat bashing. In the first round attack and defense stats are at full strength, in the second round attack and defense stats are at 90%; each round decreasing linearly until the tenth and final round with attack and defense stats at 10%.

In each round damage done to the attackers is calculated by how much the defenders attack exceeds the attackers defense. A similar calculation is done for damage done to defenders. If the attackers hp is reduced to zero, then they retreat from battle immediately after that round. If the defenders hp is reduced to zero, then the fortress takes damage.

Everything works from the technical side - I can just punch in all the numbers in my spreadsheet and it will do all the calculations of financial transactions, army strength, and all the stuff on the battlefield. But I have no idea how well this will work in reality. I am open to any thoughts or suggestions you may have for my DROD Forum Strategy Game.

[Last edited by brian_s at 12-22-2014 07:33 PM : Update game rules]
12-20-2014 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: DROD Forum Strategy Game (+1)  
Questions about the battle system:

Is it correct to think that armies can "Pass by in the Night" where both armies are deployed to the other attacking nation and miss each other?

Can you deploy more than one army at a time?

Is there a stacking limit?-Can I recruit 10 mimics?

If armies leave (I assume they must, as parsing order is then impossible) can you leave units behind with no commander?

What is resolution to multiple attacks on the same person by other nations? (I see three resolutions to this, revolving turn order and parsing the turns in order, parsing the battle simultaneously and the defender gets to attack twice and defend twice in each battle round before health checks or treating each nation as a separate attacker and defender and descending into a dogfight. The last condition has the added bonus of being able to submit allied attacks and then treating both attackers as one and the same army with separate commanders- adding army strength after adding commander bonus) And I see you addressed this after reading this again... As a side- would it be possible to send a army to help defend against an attack on another nation?

Does the fortress have a set defense value or is it just health?

Can you demonstrate a submission of a orders?

EDIT: Consider this scenario A and B nation want to attack C nation. C nation sees that B has a weak army and wishes to capitalize on it. C nation attacks B at the same time and lets A damage it's fortress uncontested. Is this either possible or favorable?

SECOND EDIT: How is damage decided on your units? As a suggestion a standing damage order is decided by the owner or a standard order?

As someone who let a similar one to this go in the past, I am very excited and would be interested in playing- as long as it is past Christmas by some amount, fair bit of family events going on.

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 12-20-2014 06:49 AM]
12-20-2014 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
icon Re: DROD Forum Strategy Game (+2)  
Spitemaster, to answer your questions:

Armies do "Pass by in the Night" to head to their respective targets. All combat takes place at the players' fortresses.

All three armies can be deployment in all rounds. An army is available as long as it has at least one commander and one combatant and is not overburdened (more combatants than the commanders can handle).

You can stack as many commanders as you want, as long as you keep to the two per day recruitment limit and can paying afford their salaries the next day.

You cannot lose units as a result of losing a battle. Armies attack in mass, either the whole army attacks all at once or no attack at all. The battle system is setup to treats armies as single mass units.

If an attacking force loses a battle by being reduced to 0 hp they just quit after that round and run back to the home fortress. If a defending force is reduced to 0 hp they still can fight but the fortress takes damage instead. There is no other penalty for losing a battle.

Multiple attacks on the same target are treated as one aggregate army by simply adding each individual armies' composite stats together. Similarly if a player wants to station two or all three of his armies to defend the home fortress their composite stats are added together to get the total defensive stats.

I thought about having the option to deploy defensive forces to other players fortresses. I should be able to modify my spreadsheet to account for that option but at least for this first game I want to try to keep things as simple.

A fortress has no intrinsic attack or defense. If an army with 100 attack faces an undefended fortress then the fortress would take the full brunt of the attack for ten rounds, taking total damage of 550 hp.

A sample of orders:
At the beginning of a round warlord Alex has the following:
Treasury $1300, Fortress 700hp, 2 quartermasters, 1 builder
Army 1 has 2 mimic and 5 mud babies
Army 2 has 1 cloak and 5 tar babies
Army 3 has 1 decoy and 5 gel babies

Alex issues the following orders:
Alex gets 50hp repaired to the fortress and $1200 (1000+1*100) income, bringing his total balance to $2500.
Alex pays $1180 (5*12+5*12+5*12+2*250+1*250+1*250) for maintenance and salaries. Treasury balance $1320.
Alex purchases 1 aumtlich (1*200) for Army 1 and 2 roaches (2*100) for Army 2. Treasury balance $920.
Alex recruits 1 slayer for Army 1 and 1 Builder. (No cost charged.)
Alex sells 1 tar baby from Army 2, receiving $120 (1*150*.8). Treasury balance $1040.
Alex dismisses 1 mimic from Army 1. (No cost recovered.)

Alex's raw stats are now:
Treasury $1040, Fortress 750hp, 2 quartermasters, 2 builder
Army 1 has 1 slayer, 1 mimic, 1 aumtlich, and 5 mud babies
Army 2 has 1 cloak, 4 tar babies, and 2 roaches
Army 3 has 1 decoy and 5 gel babies

Army 1 has attack power of (1*30+5*18)*(1+0.15+0.05)=144, defensive power of (1*7+5*12)*(1+0+0.05)=71 and hit points of (1*7+5*12)*(1+0+0)=67.
Army 2 has attack power of (4*12+2*10)*(1+0.05)=72, defensive power of (4*6+2*10)*(1+0)=44, and hit points of (4*36+2*20)*(1+0.05)=152.
Army 3 has attack power of (5*6)*(1+0)=30, defensive power of (5*18)*(1+0.05)=95, and hit points of (5*24)*(1.05)=126.
(All decimals are rounded up)

Alex's deployment orders are
Deploy Army 1 to attack Bert (144 atk, 71 def, 67 hp)
Deploy Army 2 to attack Bert (72 atk, 44 def, 152 hp)
Deploy Army 3 to defend (30 atk, 95 def, 126 hp)

Carl also sends one of his armies to attack Bert (100 atk, 100 def, 200 hp). Then the total force attacking Bert is 144+72+100=316 atk, 71+44+100=215 def, 67+152+200=419 hp.
The attack values over ten rounds of this combined force are 316, 285, 253, 222, 190, 158, 127, 95, 64, 32.
The defense values over ten rounds of this combined force are 215, 194, 172, 151, 129, 108, 86, 65, 43, 22.

Your scenario in which C leaves his fortress unguarded to heavily attack B is entirely possible. C just needs to hope his fortress has enough hp to withstand the opponents' assault.

Damage is calculated on an aggregate basis, sort of a pass/fail system for each of the ten rounds of battle. An aggregate army fights in full (other than the scheduled attenuation) if it has at least 1 hp available, for denensive armies that hp comes from the fortress if its own hp is depleted.

I don't plan on starting the game until early January. I want to have a couple of weeks available for signups and to get feedback and make clarifications. Thanks for your questions.
12-20-2014 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
icon Re: DROD Forum Strategy Game (0)  
I see a vulnerability in the quartermasters and builders method. If I get ten wubbas and each turn hire two builders, I am thinking that it might be impossible to lose - and impossible to win. The builders are more powerful than any of the other commanders that you can recruit. The same goes for the quartermasters, scaling quickly makes it impossible to retaliate. In my opinion, you need to either introduce some weaknesses into both of those characters or you need to make the others stronger.

For example you need four quartermasters to fund one slayer. For every iteration of that you can have five new builders. 250 hp per turn compared to 15% more damage. As per your 100 dmg example the slayer adds 82.5 more dmg. Your uncontested strength needs to be at 1666 for the slayer to be better than the builders.

The quartermaster needs some as well. As a cost analysis:
+100 gold = 10 roaches maintenance costs. for +100 atk and +100 def
This is much superior to a slayers stats. The game will quickly balloon as the only option is to get more quartermasters.

This problem occurs because I assume that you are treating these two roles like commanders, but I cannot see a cost associated with them. Either the game is balanced currently as to the game ends before this is a factor or the defense is to high and these scenarios occur.

12-21-2014 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
I am considering the following changes:
Biulders have $50 maintenance cost each ($1 per +1hp).
All six commanders have salary of $200.
Percent bonuses change from 5%->7% and 15%->20%.
Place a cap on the total number of support officers a player can have.
Increase regular income at set times or when a player is eliminated.

I am not worried about the ten roaches scenario yet. Additional commanders would need to be recruited to oversee the additional combatants as the size of each army is limited by the commanders' size stat. The quartermasters would be the means to fund an expanding army beyond regular income.
12-21-2014 at 07:04 PM
The spitemaster
Looking to cap sizes will for the most part help solve that problem. I overlooked that when I was talking about the quartermasters.

"Increase regular income at set times or when a player is eliminated."

This step might be unnecessary.

12-22-2014 at 12:58 AM
brian_s
I made two changes:
All six commanders have salary of $200.
A cap of five of support officers a player can have.

Also, I am willing to proceed with just four players.
12-22-2014 at 07:35 PM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
Looks like an interesting concept. I would be interested in joining in once this begins. :)

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
12-27-2014 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
1stCortez
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
Project still on? :huh
01-11-2015 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Yes, I have just been waiting to see if there was any interest after the holidays finished. If you want to play we could start with just four people.
01-12-2015 at 07:10 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
I'm also interested.

01-12-2015 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
In

01-13-2015 at 12:30 AM
brian_s
At this point I am confident that no one else will sign up, so we'll begin the game now. The player roster includes myself, The spitemaster, jamesdenem, 1stCortez, and Pinnacle. To submit your orders just post in this thread using the unhidetime tag with a timestamp of 1/21/2015 6:00 AM.

If by chance anyone else is interested you can still enter by posting in this thread before the first round due date. I still have 7 slots open.
01-18-2015 at 07:51 PM
jamesdenem
Hopefully this is the correct way to do this:

Starting Statistics:
Treasury $2000, Fortress 1000hp
Army 1
Army 2
Army 3

Income:
+$1000
-$0
Treasury $3000

Purchases:
Recruiting 1 Goblin Quartermaster and 1 Decoy for Army 1
Purchasing 10 Wubba for Army 1 (-$2000)
Treasury $1000

Ending Statistics: (assuming no attacks get through)
Treasury $1000, Fortress 1000hp, 1 quartermaster
Army 1 has 1 decoy and 10 wubba
Army 2
Army 3

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.

[Last edited by jamesdenem at 01-19-2015 02:12 PM]
01-19-2015 at 02:11 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I will join.

Beginning Treasury: 2000
Income:             1000
Army Upkeep:        0
Commander Salaries: 0
Total:              3000
I hire a Goblin Quartermaster.

I hire a Watcher and 8 Wubbas. (cost = 0+200*8=1600)

Remaining Balance: 1400 Greckles.
Armies:
Watcher : 8 Wubbas
No sales or dismissals.

No deployment.

01-19-2015 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

Beginning with $2000 in treasury. Armies unstaffed.

No expenses.

I purchase 3 roaches for Army 1.
I purchase 3 roaches for Army 2.
I purchase 3 roaches for Army 3.
I recruit 1 mimic for Army 1.
I recruit 1 cloak for Army 2.
I recruit 1 decoy for Army 3.
I recruit 1 builder and 1 quartermaster.

No sales/dismissals.

Army 1 attacks jamesdenem
Army 2 attacks The Spitemaster
Army 3 attacks 1stCortez.

Edited because I was being stupid and not following my own rules.

[Last edited by brian_s at 01-21-2015 02:49 PM]
01-20-2015 at 08:11 PM
The spitemaster
Balance 2000+1000=3000 HP 1000
Recruit Quartermaster + Watcher
Assign Watcher Army 1
Army 1 recruits 3 Wubbas = 600gp
Remaining 2125

01-21-2015 at 12:10 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126

Officers:
Recruit 1 Builder
Recruit 1 Mimic

Combatants:
Recruit 2 rock giants
Recruit 2 aumtlich
Recruit 2 wubbas
($1200 total)

All combatants in one army, remaining to defend the fortress.

There doesn't seem to be any specific way orders need to be worded, hopefully this is fine.

01-21-2015 at 02:55 AM
The spitemaster
icon Re: DROD Forum Strategy Game (+1)  
Brian, I am confused.

Combatants can by purchased without any set limit. Each army is separate and purchases are made for a specific army. A total of two officers (support + command) can be recruited per round, but no restrictions as to which officers are to be recruited.

Does this not mean that you can only hire one commander? To me it looks like you hired five.

01-21-2015 at 06:06 AM
brian_s
I messed up. I'll have to strike out some of my own orders.
01-21-2015 at 02:46 PM
brian_s

File: DROD Forum Strategy Game Round 1.bmp (1 MB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
Considering I made the biggest screwup issuing orders, this was not a bad start. But I intend for everyone to deploy armies every round immediately following their purchases/sales steps. The last part of a set of orders should be what each staffed army is going to do.

For this round, I'm going to simply have everyone's armies stay home. The default policy will be to have armies defend their home fortress if no attack order has been issued.

A summary table of stats is attached.

I will wait a day for any comments before posting the next submission deadline.
01-21-2015 at 03:24 PM
brian_s
Okay, seeing no questions asked I will begin round 2.

Again, to submit your orders just post in this thread using the unhidetime tag with a timestamp of 1/25/2015 6:00 AM.

The full player roster: brian s, The spitemaster, jamesdenem, 1stCortez, Pinnacle, and Someone Else.
01-22-2015 at 07:24 PM
Someone Else

Beginning Treasury: 1400
Income:             1100
Army Upkeep:        -120
Commander Salaries: -200
Total:              2180
I hire 2 Goblin Quartermasters.
No purchases, sales, or dismissals this turn.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-24-2015 03:15 AM]
01-22-2015 at 08:11 PM
jamesdenem

Starting Statistics:
Treasury $1000, Fortress 1000hp, 1 quartermaster
Army 2
Army 3

Income:
+$1100
-$350 (1*200+10*15)
Treasury $1750

Purchases:
Recruiting 1 Goblin Quartermaster and 1 Cloak for Army 2
Purchasing 5 Aumtlich for Army 2 (-$1000)
Treasury $750

Treasury $750, Fortress 1000hp, 2 quartermaster
Army 2 has 1 cloak and 5 aumtlich
Army 3

Army 1 will defend the fort.
I will send Army 2 to attack The Spitemaster

[Last edited by jamesdenem at 01-24-2015 10:24 PM]
01-22-2015 at 10:23 PM
brian_s

Treasure $2400
Fortress 1000hp

+$1000 income
-$460 expenses

recruit 1 decoy for Army 3
recruit 1 builder
buy 4 roaches for army 1
buy 4 roaches for army 2
buy 7 roaches for army 3
=$1500 spent

Army 1 and 2 attack Pinnacle
Army 3 defends

[Last edited by brian_s at 01-24-2015 07:07 PM]
01-24-2015 at 06:57 PM
brian_s

File: DROD Forum Strategy Game Round 2.bmp (1 MB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
Round 2 summary stats are attached. Again, I will wait a day or so for any comments or corrections.
01-25-2015 at 03:01 PM
brian_s
Round 3 begins now. To submit your orders just post in this thread using the unhidetime tag with a timestamp of 1/29/2015 6:00 AM
01-26-2015 at 05:56 PM
Someone Else
Beginning Treasury: 2180
Income:             1300
Army Upkeep:        -120
Commander Salaries: -200
Total:              3160

I hire a Slayer for Army 2. For his command, I hire 6 Aumtlichs. (cost = 0+200*6=1200)

Remaining balance: 1960.

Army 1 will defend. Army 2 marches on 1stCortez.
01-26-2015 at 07:17 PM
brian_s

Starting Stats
Fortress 1000hp, Treasury 1440, 1 builder
Army 1: 7 roaches, 1 mimic
Army 2: 7 roaches, 1 cloak
Army 3: 7 roaches, 1 decoy

Income and Expenses:
Treasury +$1000
Fortress +50hp
Officers -$600
Combatants -$210

Purchases and Recruitment:
Purchase 2 mud babies for Army 1
Purchase 2 evil eyes for Army 2
Purchase 2 wraithwings for Army 3
Recruit 2 quartermasters

No sales or dismissals

Attack orders:
Army 1 and Army 2 attack Pinacle
Army 3 defend home

01-28-2015 at 03:30 PM
jamesdenem

Starting Statistics:
Treasury $750, Fortress 1000hp, 2 quartermaster
Army 2 has 1 cloak and 5 aumtlich
Army 3

Income:
+$1200
-$625 (2*200+15*15)
Treasury $1325

Purchases:
Recruiting 1 Goblin Quartermaster and 1 Slayer for Army 2
Purchasing 5 Aumtlich for Army 2 (-$1000)
Treasury $325

Treasury $325, Fortress 1000hp, 3 quartermaster
Army 2 has 1 cloak, 1 slayer, and 10 aumtlich
Army 3

Army 1 will defend
Army 2 will attack brian_s

01-29-2015 at 01:44 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Forum Strategy Game
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes