Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Elemental Showcase 5.0 Compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged

File: Elemental Showcase 50.hold (82.2 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Elemental Showcase 5.0 Compilation (+2)  
Here it is, the compilation for the Elemental Showcase 5.0 contest. I hope to submit it to the HAs soon, but it's here in Architecture first for general feedback, collection of demos, and for the level architects to submit fixes to unintended solutions.

Enjoy!

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-31-2014 06:49 PM]
12-10-2014 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: Elemental Showcase 5.0 Compilation (+1)  
One thing that might be a good idea to do would be to ask Schik to take the hold I posted on the contest thread and change its architect to your player profile, which would allow you to then add the level you made into that. If you did so then most players would be able to keep their demos and saves.
It would probably also speed up the process for having demos for all the rooms.

12-10-2014 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: Gears Within Gears.hold (9.6 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
icon Re: Elemental Showcase 5.0 Compilation (0)  
Hi all,

I've made a few edits to my original contest entry (Gears withing Gears) to take care of the ridiculous number of unintended solutions. These changes shouldn't have any effect on intended solutions as far as I can tell. Minor changes were made to 1N, 1S1E, and 1S1W. A couple of people also saw a much simpler solution to 1N1W than the one I had originally intended, but seemed to enjoy this solution just the same, so I've scripted a the original intended solution as a challenge, but have left the room the same otherwise.

At any rate, I wanted to make sure that no one objects to these changes. I've attached the new version of the level to this post. If it makes life easier for you Nuntar, I would be happy to make the same changes directly into the compilation hold and attach that. I can also attach completion demos for these rooms to another post.

12-11-2014 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: Gears Within Gears.demo (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Sorry for the double post, but I can't attach two files to the same post. The victory demo for the updated hold is attached so that you can quickly verify that it is conquerable and all challenges are completable. I'm not sure if I've addressed all the unintended solutions, but would welcome any feedback on that matter.

By the way, the compilation hold hub level looks terrific!

12-11-2014 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670

File: ES50 - TA demo pack.demo (9.6 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Wowee what an awesome hub level. Nicely done Nuntar! :thumbsup

Attached to this post is a demo pack for Temperature Anomaly to showcase the official solutions. Spoilers, obviously! I can also confirm that all level exits are working correctly, although my hold end text doesn't show when exiting via the proper exit behind the blue door. This isn't important so I'm not bothered about its non-inclusion, but I thought my text was slightly funny.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 12-12-2014 07:28 PM]
12-12-2014 at 07:27 PM
Insoluble
Hmmm, I'm not sure where to post this but I thought others may find this fun.

C h a l l e n g e !
 Fluffy Factory: 1S: Reach the conquer token without shortening the serpent. 

I have a (no doubt incredibly suboptimal) demo if anyone is interested.

12-13-2014 at 05:28 AM
Nuntar
New version of the hold attached to the top post. I've included Insoluble's fixes to GWG 1N, 1S1W and 1S1E. Since I haven't solved these rooms myself, I'd especially appreciate it if others would test whether unintended solutions are still possible.

GWG 1S has a challenge scroll saying "Don't kill either construct on a trapdoor", but the scripting actually tests for a construct being on the pressure plate at (24,14) (the one that opens the conquer token) at any stage of the solution. Are these two conditions equivalent for this room?

I've fixed the unintended solution to 1N1W rather than making it a challenge, since even with the fix, this is the easiest room of the level.

I've removed the challenge awarded for solving Lord of Time 1N. In the original level, the only way to exit the level was by leaving The Entrance to the south, and this was available from the outset, suggesting the entire level was to be optional. I don't like making a level optional in this kind of compilation, so I've put it on the same footing as the other levels -- you have to complete the level (which in the case of Lord of Time means conquering the post-blue-door room 1N) to reach a conquer token in the corresponding room of the hub level.

I've added Kieran's ending text as a level entrance text when you return to the hub using the stairs beyond the blue door.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-13-2014 03:18 PM]
12-13-2014 at 03:15 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Would it be possible to take blorx's suggestion above so we can retain our demos and saves?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-14-2014 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623

File: ROTM demos.demo (7.6 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Here's my demos :)

I'll note that while replaying 2S I found another solution (this one in the demo) which is pretty cool so I didn't change it.
Same thing goes for 2N1W, I read that there are many solutions but it seems that none of them are trivial so I left it as it was.

12-14-2014 at 03:25 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215

File: Lord of Time v2.hold (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Hi,

sorry, I meant to post this for quite some time now but always had problems with my internet connection. I've made some cosmetic changes to my entry without touching the puzzles themselves:

- I've added hint-giving characters to Silence in the Library and The Fires of Pompeii to make them a bit more fair. I hope they are sufficient to nudge you in the right direction without giving away too much.
- I've changed the Entrance room title to "Boom Town" to fit the episode title, as I seem to have remembered that incorrectly.
- Finally, I think reentering Doomsday after solving it is a bit silly, so I've changed the character scripts to end the hold after having it solved once. This will obviously have to be adjusted when incorporating it into the compilation.

I hope adding this version to the compilation won't be too much trouble, sorry for taking so much time.
12-21-2014 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
No worries. I've now attached a new version to the first post, with the following changes:

* Included new hint-giving characters in Lord of Time
* Rescripted Lord of Time : Entrance so you cannot re-enter Doomsday after clearing the level
* Changed force arrow to a green door in CYE : 1S, so you cannot solve Lord of Time and then exit without hitting the conquer token, making the hold impossible to finish.
* Reworded the challenge scroll in GWG : 1S to match the actual condition tested for by the scripting (a construct activates the one-tile pressure plate).

12-31-2014 at 06:44 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920

File: Elemental Showcase 50.demo (10.5 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Here's a set of demos that I'd been too lazy to record since I was hoping to not have to re-record them.

12-31-2014 at 06:50 PM
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108

File: Gentryii Prison.demo (9.9 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Here are my demos!
01-01-2015 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215

File: Lord of Time Deos.demo (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Right. Demos. Sorry. Here you go. Plus a typo in the filename, what more could you wish for?

(I hope there's nothing else I've messed up; if so, just tell me)
01-10-2015 at 07:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Elemental Showcase 5.0 Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com