Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Eye of the Storm : 3 East (new mechanic?)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
IP: Logged
icon The Second Sky : Eye of the Storm : 3 East (-3)  
Have at it, ye down-modders: I'm posting for a room with
no extant request for help: Here's the post I wish was here
before I solved this room.

Click here to view the secret text

12-01-2014 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: The Second Sky : Eye of the Storm : 3 East (0)  
You have to use the same trick in another room.

However, I can't remember which one :(

12-01-2014 at 11:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
In another of this level's secret rooms:

Karl, if you have a complaint about the way in which the game introduces concepts, why not put it in the "Things I don't like about TSS" topic, where it actually has a chance of being seen by the developers?

12-01-2014 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Michael,

no, I'm not lobbying for any changes here: this felt very much like a corner case trick to me, not really introducing a new concept.

I felt that this thread was just the right place for offering the info about the surprising mechanic - but also knew that some folk disapprove of posting without a problem request, so I expected to take the disapproval hit. :(

12-01-2014 at 09:31 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
I rather liked this novel mechanic.

12-01-2014 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Phew! banged with a really big stick .... (-2) right now.

I accept the sacrifice, and look forward to making some frustrated completionist delver happy someday.

12-01-2014 at 11:19 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Eh, it's a neat trick. Did a series of rooms with it in jfflpnk shortly before TSS came out and made it all official, and stole it from Trickster to begin with anyway.

12-01-2014 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: The Second Sky : Eye of the Storm : 3 East (+2)  
I suspect the main reason that people downmod people for posting without a hint request is that even though you say "I wish this existed when I did the room", you clearly managed to solve it anyway.

Since there haven't been any either, it's clear that everyone else eventually figured it out (or is still stuck and will post later). I'd personally avoid posting unless I were actually stuck since I don't need help.

It's also clutter for people who intend to help people since there's nobody to help. At this point I ignore the vast majority of hint threads you post in and if you actually post asking for help I probably won't notice that you need help.

12-02-2014 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Karl Popper (is that your real name? I can't prove it isn't...), maybe you just want to make a post (e.g. on General) listing rooms/solutions you particularly liked or didn't.

Your commentary is sometime very interesting and I'm sure it will be a good read and spark debate, but I'm not sure that simply posting solutions here when noone needs them is the best way of letting us know your thoughts.

12-02-2014 at 02:15 AM
karlpopper
icon Re: The Second Sky : Eye of the Storm : 3 East (+1)  
Jacob,

my real name is public in my profile: Karl Popper once delivered a lecture called All Life is Problem Solving which, in conjunction with the first name coincidence was an attractive handle here.

Jacob & Blorx1,

Thanks for the feedback.

I hear what you are saying, and I'm split about it. Originally H&S was simply about getting someone past a stuck point, but in some threads it evolves into an interesting general discussion about a room.

What I've liked about discussion in the context of a room is that you tend to catch it when it's on your mind, because of what you've just been playing. I don't always read all the general threads, but I often do go read the H&S thread for a room I found interesting or hard.

Blorx1, I know you feel this way too - remember this post from 2012?
blorx1 wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one who looks at the H&S threads for hard rooms after I solve them, for my own amusement. I doubt I'm the only one.
However, rest assured that this thread will undoubtedly make me think twice before posting a "non help" entry to H&S, especially as a new thread.

[Last edited by karlpopper at 12-02-2014 08:21 AM]
12-02-2014 at 08:20 AM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Hm, thought it was impossible and then realised that what I thought I needed to do with two platforms I could do with one large one :-)

[Last edited by JLE at 10-13-2016 06:24 AM]
10-13-2016 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cinera
Rank Points: 34
Help please.Eventhough I understand about the platforms and how to shape them.I still dont see how to kill the eye at 29,5

Thank you

[Last edited by cinera at 06-25-2018 03:41 AM]
06-25-2018 at 03:16 AM
cinera
Rank Points: 34
It s ok.I got it
Tks

[Last edited by cinera at 06-25-2018 05:18 AM]
06-25-2018 at 04:10 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Second Sky : Eye of the Storm : 3 East (new mechanic?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com